Priceline Hotel: London Hotel Bidding Strategy?

specialkat
By specialkat,
in

Hi! I've never bid on priceline but have been browsing this forum and found it an amazing resource so far, but I also thought I'd ask for a bidding strategy for London (I also posted a request for Paris).

I am looking for a 4* Hotel in London, somewhere central. I'll even consider a 3.5 star if it's a nice Holiday Inn in Kensington (sp?) or something of that sort. I'm hoping to pay under $125, but if I really need to, can go up to $140.

Thank you in advance for any help!

The Holiday Inn in Kensington Forum is 3.5* on HOTWIRE (an accurate rating in my opinion), but 4* on Priceline.

If you use HOTWIRE, you can be reasonably, but not entirely, sure of getting the hotel you want, if it's available. With Priceline, if you bid for a 4* in the Kensington zone, there are at least several hotels you could get, and most of the others are less well-located than Holiday Inn in Kensington Forum, although still workable.

Do you want a room for one person, or two? Are you willing to consider splitting your stay?

If you're willing to move, you can often get better opaque deals in London, because some hotels are cheaper on the weekend. Like the well regarded Hilton Islington is often available for $80 (perhaps less with the appreciation of the dollar), but I haven't seen that outside of the Friday-Sunday time period.

If you're checking HOTWIRE prices, go beyond the initial screeen to get a full quote from them. Sometimes I've seen them "forget" to charge you the full VAT (priceline never does), which can make hotwire the best deal in England.

Even if you buy from PRICELINE, "fiddle around" with your dates on hotwire to see what may be a problem day. If you can stay somewhere else for a night or two, you may find remarkable opaque savings.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

How can I tell when is best to split?
If you pick two or three of the hotels at the star rating and zone that you're considering, search for each nite of your stay (one nite at a time if you want to be thorough) and see if there is a price change over the course of your stay. As well, search HOTWIRE (again, one nite at a time) and see if there is a large difference in price for any of the date(s)

What appears to be the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum is avaiable thru HOTWIRE for $156/nite, and PRICELINE is usually a little cheaper (although no way to guarntee, or even target, that this is the hotel you will receive) so you may want to first decide how high you're willing to bid for your complete stay, try up to that limit, and then star looking into SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID if you're unsuccessful.

Let us know your minimum star rating and maximum bid to try for the complete stay (without splitting) and which zones you're willing to accept, we'll then be able to suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Although bidding 4* on Priceline in London should get you a reasonable hotel, I don't think you can count on getting one that has excellent reviews. Some do, and some don't. Have you checked the reviews of the central London hotels that are known to come up and have you decided if you are happy with them? Or maybe you are saying you don't want to consider PRICELINE for this stay?

If you specifically list the zones you're willing to accept, that will help, because what one person considers central, another person might not.

I'm having such a hard time. PRICELINE seems too risky since my odds of knowing the hotel I will get are small.
That is the trade-off... not knowing the hotel in exchange for a deeply discounted price.
Meanwhile, the HOTWIRE prices are really high...
What is the best HOTWIRE rate shown... what is the best price you're able to find thru conventional booking channels? If HOTWIRE rates are higher than usual, there is a good chance it will take a higher PRICELINE bid than you are anticipating as well.

Which are the zone(s) you're considering

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]