Bidding on Priceline

IrisT
By IrisT,
in

I'd like feedback from anyone who has car rental experience with the rental car companies using the bid feature. I want to rent a car over Christmas in Miami, which is extremely expensive. I have already entered a priceline bid for $100 less than any other rate I can find (it was accepted, if I proceed and enter my credit card info).

I understand the bidding concept and how it works; however, I am somewhat apprehensive about the actual car and service I will receive. I travel and rent often, so I have Gold and First accounts with Hertz and Avis and am used to receiving upgrades. I realize I can not expect that in this situation; however, I do want to feel comfortable about the end product and service I'll receive.

I am interested in any experiences regarding the actual car and service received--good and bad. Thank you!

I have bid on cars from PRICELINE several times and always received good service just like I had made a normal reservation. One time I received an upgrade at no cost (and took it) and I am normaly offered to upgrade for some additional $$ (I don't take these).

The only caution I have is if you are arriving late at night since some car agencies close earlier than others. I know that you enter a time for pickup but give some thought if your flight is scheduled to arrive at 10:30 but arrives at 12:00 is the place still going to be open. (This depends on the airport) With a normal reservation you would just go to an open counter but now you have prepaid so you may have an issue. If you arriving early in the evening or during the day it really does not matter since you have a good size buffer.

The other item to consider is if you have any additional drivers, e.g., your spouse. Some places normally charge some don't. With bidding you don't have control so you may end up paying.

Good luck.

Bidding for rental cars is the safest PRICELINE type of bid. Honestly, you are going to get the exact same car for the category selected as anyone else. they use the major companies and a car is a car between Hertz, Avis, Alamo, etc.

The only time I had an issue was when I had to change the flights and I had paid for a car for 7 days and only needed it 6 days. I had saved so much money it didn't matter. They let me pick up the car a day later.

• 1 month later...

You'll be charged the same CDW rate that the rental company charges all their customers, which differs not only by rental company, but by location too... and it's likely going to 'sting' no matter what, as it's usually considered by most to be expensive (and a high margin product for the rental companies)

There are third party companies that sell "car rental insurance" for a 30 day or 1 year period. If you travel a lot, or have an extended strip coming up with a lot of rentals, this may be something you want to look in to.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

As i commented above, the rates will vary from company to company, and will also vary within the same company from location to location. There are only 4-5 rental companies that PRICELINE and HOTWIRE deal with, so you could call each rental company and ask the rate at that particular location.

If you need help with a specific upcoming rental please start a NEW TOPIC and include your dates and location, as this is getting a bit more specific for your particular stay vs. the intention of this thread in the "general priceline car rental bidding tips".

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

In my experince it was the same as some one who rented with no status. Like you mentioned no upgrade ect. but no "oh your a priceline customer". I have even had them offer to upgrade me for a fee. But stay within the limits of what you bid. Return to the same location and return on time.

I was shocked the time they offered to upgrade me for free, but it was great :)

I have bid on cars from PRICELINE several times and always received good service just like I had made a normal reservation. One time I received an upgrade at no cost (and took it) and I am normaly offered to upgrade for some additional $$ (I don't take these).

The only caution I have is if you are arriving late at night since some car agencies close earlier than others. I know that you enter a time for pickup but give some thought if your flight is scheduled to arrive at 10:30 but arrives at 12:00 is the place still going to be open. (This depends on the airport) With a normal reservation you would just go to an open counter but now you have prepaid so you may have an issue. If you arriving early in the evening or during the day it really does not matter since you have a good size buffer.

The other item to consider is if you have any additional drivers, e.g., your spouse. Some places normally charge some don't. With bidding you don't have control so you may end up paying.

Good luck.

Good call on the additional driver, hadn't thought about that. I guess they can pretty much charge a premium for that and you're stuck with it without other options.

• 2 months later...

ok I know this is an old thread and last reply was Dec of last year :) but I just bought my first car rental on PRICELINE bidding. the agency ended up to be National, and I am an emerald club member but there is no place to enter the membership number since I learn the agency after paying.

I called national custom service and was told that they can't add my membership number to that reservation. The rep on the phone suggested that I give the number to the clerk at the counter when I pick up the car and ask him/her to add it for me. Of course I haven't picked up the car yet so I guess we will see... but I really wanted the ability to pick any car from the aisle for being a member... wonder if they will let me do that.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]