Hotwire Hotel: Help with New York 11/8-11/11/08

fshwilli
By fshwilli,
in

Travelling with husband and teenager from LAX to JFK. Never been to NY before so we are excited. On Hotwire there are 2 hotels which i woudl like help with.

2.5* Jamaica $99, shuttle, complimentary breakfast, fitness center, high spped internet.

4* SoHo $242, fitness, pool, restaurant, business center, high speed internet.

Firstly any guesses what these hotels are?

Also, I noticed on researching hotels that some of the rooms are only for 2 people. Any suggestions on whether Hotwire or PL would work for 3 of us as we would need 2 beds????

Also, having never been to NY what areas are safe to stay in on the outskirts. We will not be hiring a car, so using public transport. i.e. is Brooklyn easy to get into the tourist attractions from?

ANY, any help will be much appreciated.

You'll have a great time in NYC. Personally - and maybe it's just me - I think you can plan, plan, plan for what you want to see, but when you get there, plans do tend to go out the window because you get caught up in the experience and see things that you hadn't thought of. Long story short, have a basic plan of what you are interested in, but be prepared to be flexible.

One of the things that I enjoyed most in New York City was the Intrepid Museum - essentially, a giant aircraft carrier sitting in the Hudson, with fighter planes on the deck. It's astonishing to walk around on the massive deck of an aircraft carrier and look out at an astonishing view of NYC and the surrounding area. The Intrepid was gone for a couple of years for a massive remodeling and the date you arrive in NYC is the date of the major reopening. (website: http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/).

The Intrepid Museum is an example of something I didn't plan on and just happened to wander by - and it was really one of the things that I remember the most about my last trip to NYC.

Wear really comfortable shoes, because you will be walking extensively.

When you search on Hotwire, you have to search for 2 adults, 1 child. The rooms that will come up will accept your whole party.

You mention both a hotel outside of Manhattan and a hotel in Manhattan , and the price difference between the two is pretty vast. I am curious as to your budget per night, because these two prices are a pretty wide range. Staying in Manhattan will be immensely more convenient, but it will cost more.

Let us know approximate budget and we will be happy to help offer some options.

Hi Aaron

thanks for the imput. Yes I know that the rates are a little varied. I have to admit that I got sticker shock when I looked at staying those dates. I was hoping to get something for no more than $200 per night. Is that unrealistic? I was wondering about doing PL and starting at a bid of about $145 as I have seen some winning bids just over that amount (but not for my exact dates!).........When I saw staying for $99 in Jamaica I wondered how inconvenient that would be. We dont mind walking and using transport as long as its safe....Susan

Let me see what I can find. I would suggest you may get a better deal by splitting your dates between different hotels, but I'm not sure how into that idea you would be for a 3 day stay.

I know Manhattan fairly well, but board moderator thereuare would be much better regarding outlying areas. He will hopefully see this post shortly.

Be back shortly, hopefully with some ideas.

Well, in terms of hotels in Midtown Manhattan, unfortunately I'm not finding much under $200, but have at least found some ideas a little closer to that level -

I can find the Four Points Sheraton in Chelsea or the newer location in Soho for approximately $216 non-refundable.

Quikbook.com has the Thompson East Side - which would be a REALLY nice hotel; while not the most centrally located in Manhattan, it would be in Manhattan - for $184 (or $195 for a studio suite.). I think the only reason you're seeing that kind of rate for those dates is due to the fact that this is still a newer property and they may be trying to get people testing the hotel.

If the Thompson idea is of interest, it would be greatly appreciated if you could start the booking process using the site's link to Quikbook.com.

If you are interested in the Four Points option, I would be happy to provide the link to where that is available.

The $184/nite Quickbook rate i'm showing for the Thompson East Side is for a 2 person maximum room so i'm not sure if that will work for your needs or not.

You don't want to stay in Jamaica (imo). The problem with the outlying zones is that they're rather large (and generally not nearly as nice as Manhattan itself) so it's difficult to know if you will be near a subway line or not.

How will you be arriving to the city? (if train which station, if bus where does it drop off, if plane which airport)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Could they bring their child and say they didn't know he was going to be with them? I'm just curious as to what the flexibility of 3 people is in a room for 2 max.

I suppose the hotel could be called, too, given the fact that they would be booking regular rate. The original poster could just say, "When I search on Quikbook.com, I'm seeing availability for your hotel and I'd really like to book your property for these dates, but it says 2 persons max. Is there any way that we could fit three?"

If they say yes, you could book it via Quikbook.

The article at the link below (warning: one quick instance of language in the article) provides a great, detailed overview of the Thompson Lower East Side hotel. There is also a video tour of the room (although I didn't watch that.)

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2008/8/5...he_Thompson_LES

The King Studio Suite is $195 on Quikbook.com. The King Studio suite in the article does have a large couch along with the king bed.

The article mentions some amenities not ready yet, but the article was written in August.

Hope I am not being a pest here. I looked at the Murray Suites and was not keen. There is another hotel which I would like help on. I am thinking it may be Sheraton Towers but want another opinion. So same dates 11/8-11/11 for 3 people.

3.5 * Times Sq/Theatre District $259 fitness center, business, restaurant and high speed internet.....

Any help would be great....

I would really like to try PL but I am concerned about having a 3rd person in the room. Any opinions on that would be helpful too.......

BTW we are arriving from JFK - any info on getting from the airport without using a cab would also be welcome.....Many thanks.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend bidding on Priceline if you absolutely, positively, totally have to have 2 beds. There will not be a 100% guarantee of that, especially given how small some of NYC's hotels are (the Hudson, for example, has rooms that look like closets. They would be really chic, beautiful closets, but closets nonetheless.) Priceline in general only guarantees 1 bed.

Let me look and see if I can find anything & at the HW listing.

The HOTWIRE listing would appear to be a match for the Crowne Plaza Manhattan.

Hi Aaron

Thanks for your imput- yes that is what worries me with PL. Our daughter would have a fit is she did not have a bed. She is at an age where these things are important. The date is getting closer and right now the only thing I can find is the one on Hotwire that you think would be a match for Crowne Plaza and the Sheraton Towers using the link you kindly gave me......If it came down to these 2 which would be the best bet for us?

Having never been to NY we will be wanting to do all the tourist things! I see cheaper hotels in Flushing, but is that too far out??

I will be wanting to book something within the next few days as I dont have a back up hotel (as I cant find one with a rate that I would pay!!)..... Many thanks for any help

It's tough to say regarding outlying areas; thereuare knows the area better. Personally, from my experience, New York City is one of those areas where, if you only have a few days, you really want to be in the middle of it and be able to start your day in the city and not facing a commute.

It's definitely tough, though, with how expensive NYC hotels are.

Out of the two hotels - Crowne Plaza Manhattan or Sheraton NY and Towers (the Sheraton Manhattan at Times Square gets mostly negative reviews), both get similarly mixed reviews. However, a relative did stay at the CP about a year and a half ago and thought it was a fine property - a bit above average. The room did show some signs of wear, but I'm guessing the Times Square hotels encounter massive traffic and some keep up with wear and tear better than others. The Sheraton NYC via the Stay 2 nights, Get 1 Free deal would save a few bucks per night, which could go towards breakfast or other things.

A couple of other ideas:

1. The Millennium Broadway has a special for the 2nd night of your stay of $199. However, the night before that is $349. Search for 2 adults on your dates and use promo code ZOO. You do get an upgrade to a Superior (higher floor) room with this special.

Instead of spending the 3rd night at the Millennium Broadway for $329, search for 2 adults/1 child on Hotwire for 11/10-11. There should be a 3.5* in Midtown Central for $219 with the amenities: Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business. This would be a likely match for the Sheraton Manhattan. This would average $255.

2. The Salisbury for $222.84 via Expedia for 11/9-11 (use coupon code HOT10 for $10 off) = $212.84 per night. This is a more basic, older hotel, but people love it because it offers larger than average rooms and a terrific location, as well as fine service. Not many hotels in NYC get a 4.5/5 on tripadvisor, but this one continues to manage that average. I stayed there once as a kid and other family members have stayed there since. Don't expect luxury (although don't get me wrong, it is nice), but expect more room for the money and a terrific location. Expedia doesn't have availability for 11/8-9, so instead of the Salisbury, 11/8 can be spent at either the nearby Sheraton New York and Towers for $299 or at the very nice, but somewhat further away Affinia Dumont for $255 via Affinia.com

3. This would put you in the Lower Manhattan area, but provide some benefits. 11/8-10 would be the Embassy Suites Downtown via Expedia.com for $249 for 11/8-10 only. Use coupon code hot10 for $10 off each night = $239. This would not be the most central location, but at least you would get breakfast in the morning and evening reception. If you try to look up this hotel for 11/8-11, the price is $399 per night, so the $239 for the weekend is a pretty good deal and at least you get some bonuses + a suite room. Unfortunately, 11/10-11 is much more expensive in the downtown area, likely requiring a move to Midtown. So, this would not be the most central - and that area is quieter on the weekend - but you do get breakfast and the evening reception, as well as a larger room. There would also be the move for the last day, but there are plenty of more reasonable Midtown options for the final night.

4. Sheraton New York and Towers for $698 total ($232.66 average per night) via the link below.

Stay 2 nights, get 1 free Both the Sheratons in NYC get some very mixed reviews, but this gets the better reviews of the two.

Please use the site's links to Expedia.com, Orbitz.com, Quikbook.com or HOTWIRE if any of these ideas are of interest.

Any questions please ask. The ideas for splitting hotels aren't the best, as they do involve splitting your stay, but I thought I'd provide them as additional possibilities to consider.

Hi everyone

well a suite became available on HOTWIRE just which would be great. The price is certainly getting up ther though, but I think I am getting accustomed to seeing $$$! Anyhow wondered if it could be pinned? A suite would be great.....

3.5* Times Square: Suite, fitness, bus center, high speed internet - $272.......

Now that has disappeared and there is another suite but 3*. On researching from previous questions I am thinking its Beekman Tower?? I see that most people think that is out of the way a little........so I am still between what is showing on hotwire which you think is Crowne Plaza and the link for the Sheraton Towers.....in your view which would be the best choice. Thanks a lot for all the info. I really wanted Embassy Suites but the family did not want to find another hotel for the one night!!

The Affinia Dumont (ranked #6 out of 383 hotels on Tripadvisor in NYC) is $283 for a studio suite for these dates on Travelocity. If you use coupon code BONUS75, you get $75 off the final total (although that coupon may require you use a mastercard, but when I tried to go through as if I was going to purchase something just now and didn't complete the purchase, the discount was reflected after entering the coupon code.) The Affinia Dumont also offers a full kitchen in-room, too. The studio suites are listed as between 400-600 sq ft.

Split the $75 discount over 3 nights - $283 -$ 25 = $258 per night, for a hotel that gets far better reviews.

Also, 2 beds.

If this is of interest, please use the site's link to Travelocity.com (click the Travelocity.com)

Otherwise, the main options I've found are listed above.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]