Priceline Hotel: NYC 4* hotel week before Christmas help

skalibaba
By skalibaba,
in

Hi, I'm looking for a 4* hotel (or maybe 3.5*) in NYC, preferably one of those areas: MTE, MTW, CPS, TS, ESB. I want to stay 3 nights either from December 20th to 23rd, or 21st to 24th. My max amount would be $150-160/night (but lower would be great).

I saw on Hotwire a 3.5* in Midtown Central for about $150 (20 to 23), another one for $140 (21 to 24) and one in Midtown East for $150 (also 21 to 24). Do you know which hotels are these?

Also, do you think I can beat these offer on Priceline? If so, what strategy would you suggest (I know about the freezone bidding, what I'd like to know is if I should try bidding everyday or every week until I get what I want)? Also, should I try going the 20 to 23 strategy, or the 21 to 24 (which one will likely cost less)?

Thanks for your help

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I saw on Hotwire a 3.5* in Midtown Central for about $150 (20 to 23), another one for $140 (21 to 24) and one in Midtown East for $150 (also 21 to 24). Do you know which hotels are these?
For help identifying these hotels you'll need to list the amenities that HOTWIRE associates with each.
do you think I can beat these offer on Priceline?
PRICELINE is usually a little cheaper than HOTWIRE, but HOTWIRE gives you the ability take an educated guess as to the hotel offered before the purchase, as well as know the amenities that are associated with the hotel (so if need/want a hotel with a Fitness Center, you can choose a HOTWIRE offer which shows this amenity) If price is most important then no need to post the amenities above and we'll just go directly into a bidding strategy.
if I should try bidding everyday or every week until I get what I want)? Also, should I try going the 20 to 23 strategy, or the 21 to 24 (which one will likely cost less)?
Given the number of zones you're bidding, and using re-bid zones, there is no reason to try every day... you can easily go from a reasonable lowball bid up to your $160 limit in one bidding cycle. As well, yiou can flip/flop back and forth between dates, going for whichever you get an accepted bid for first.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Welcome to BetterBidding!

For help identifying these hotels you'll need to list the amenities that HOTWIRE associates with each.

Thank you very much! Very nice site.

Here are the options:

21-24: 3.5* in Midtown Central for $139 has Fitness Center, Restaurant, Business Center, High Speed Internet Access

21-24: 3.5* in Midtown East for $149 has Fitness Center, Restaurant, Business Center, High Speed Internet Access

20-23: 3.5* in Midtown Central for $152 has Fitness Center, Restaurant, Business Center, High Speed Internet Access

PRICELINE is usually a little cheaper than HOTWIRE, but HOTWIRE gives you the ability take an educated guess as to the hotel offered before the purchase, as well as know the amenities that are associated with the hotel (so if need/want a hotel with a Fitness Center, you can choose a HOTWIRE offer which shows this amenity) If price is most important then no need to post the amenities above and we'll just go directly into a bidding strategy.

Well, amenities are not that important, but if I find one the above hotel to have excellent reviews, then I might consider these before the ones on Priceline. But like you said, price is the most important thing (I live in Montreal, so the exchange rate is really not favorable at this time!).

Given the number of zones you're bidding, and using re-bid zones, there is no reason to try every day... you can easily go from a reasonable lowball bid up to your $160 limit in one bidding cycle. As well, yiou can flip/flop back and forth between dates, going for whichever you get an accepted bid for first.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

I'd like to see how I should do it using priceline. Since I found those hotels above for about $150, I guess that would be my upper limit with Priceline.

I'll do so. Thanks!

Orbitz has 70 Park Avenue (a Kimpton property with free wine reception for an hour at night) for $167.50. If you use coupon code FABSAVE10, you get 10% off each night = $150.75.

If this idea is of interest, it would be greatly appreciated if you could click the site's link to Orbitz.com (click the Orbitz) to start your purchase, as it supports the site.

That sounds like a good deal too! The reviews look good. I might book this deal just in case I can't find a better one. I'll wait to see what I can get from Priceline and what are these hotels from Hotwire before making my choice.

Do you think prices vary much from one week to another? In other words, do I have a month to do that deal or I should make it happen as soon as possible?

Thanks all for your help!

As far as when to bid, see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

For 12/21-12/24 the 3.5* MTC hotel is a match for both the Novotel and the Hudson so either of these would be our best guess... the 3.5* MTE hotel is a match for the Roosevelt.

For 12/20-12/23 the 3.5* MTEC hotel is a match for the Hudson Hotel so that would be our best guess there.

The 70 Park Avenue deal thru obitz seems pretty good and the reviews are very good as well. You may be able to do a little better on PRICELINE, but the hotel may not be as positively reviewed.

Decide if you'd like to go with one of the HOTWIRE hotels above, the deal thru Orbitz, or try on PRICELINE (if you decide the first two options arent' for you let us know your maximum bid we'll suggest a PRICELINE strategy)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (or Orbitz if you go that route)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The price could chanage for any number of reasons... the hotel could have received a large block of reservations for one or more of the nites of your stay (a group tour, a wedding or other event, etc, etc) which tilts the supply vs. demand relationship for this property and rates increase.

Do you want to wait a day or two and see if the rate goes back down or do you want to pursue other avenues?

I still want to take my time before booking. So I'll check out if some deals seem better. About the 70 Park Avenue hotel, I saw on Hotels.com that they had the $167 price, but I can't find any discount coupon that would match the 10% found on Orbitz (which would just fit in my budget).

I just went on the Travelocity site and found out the Affinia Manhattan for $173/night, but there is the $75 MasterCard saving code, which then makes the price close to $150/night. Plus it's a studio room with a king bed! Do you think that's a good deal? According to TripAdvisor, it has excellent reviews, better than the 70 Park Avenue hotel. But it's just 3 stars (not that I need more, but you never know), What do you think?

In regards to price I think you can do better than both of the above thru PRICELINE... in terms of the above two properties it depends what you're looking for.

Do you like high thread count linen and things a bit more polished of a higher end hotel... or do you enjoy a larger living space with more basic (but still quite functional and nice) accomodations.

Since I'm going with my wife (without the kids) and this would be some kind of our fifth year wedding anniversary, I guess I would tend towards the more polished higher end hotel :)

Just saw on Hotwire some new deals, any ideas what these are?

20-23: 3.5* in MTC for $143, smoke free, fitness center, restaurant, business center and internet

20-23: 4* in MTC for $159, smoke free, fitness center, restaurant, business center and internet

21-24: 3.5* MTE for $149, fitness center, restaurant, business center and internet

Are these good deals?

Thanks

I would tend towards the more polished higher end hotel
Then the Tripadvisor information shown for each of the above hotels would likely steer you away from the first two above, which are rated 2.5/5.0 and 3.0/5.0 based upon user reviews. The first 3.5* MTC is a match for the Sheraton Manhattan and the 4* MTC is a match for the Sheraton New York and i would sooner take the 70 Park Ave above than either of these. The MTE hotel is a match for the Roosevelt so that woudl be our best guess for that one.

Of the above, for this purpose of this stay, i would go with the 70 Park Ave.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (or our Hotels.com or Orbitz link if you go a different route)

It seems like I can't find anymore the deal for the 70 Park Avenue hotel. But the good news is that our currency (Canadian) went up almost 10% in the last 2 weeks!

Looked again at Hotwire and found this deal:

4* MTC $149: fitness center, restaurant, business center and internet

It looks like the deal I saw the other day (was $159), but now it doesn't show anymore the smoke free amenity. Is it still the Sheraton New York? According to the Hotwire list on the other forum, I think it could also be a match for these hotels: Helmsley Park Lane, Sofitel and Warwick. Plus we know the Sheraton New York is smoke free. Can they show less amenities than there actually are? What do you think?

For which dates are you searching and the property above appearing?

It's for December 20 to 23. According to the 4/5 rating based on 320+ reviews, I guess this is the Warwick hotel. I see it has some good reviews and some bad reviews. What do you think? Do you think I could find a better deal (ie better hotel for about the same price with Priceline or same quality hotel for less)?

Yes, i think you could get a 4* hotel at a better price thru PRICELINE, assuming your willing to bid the 'typical' midtown locations.... $300+ sounds expensive to me for these dates.

Are you ready to commit to a purchase now or are you just browsing? If you'd like help with a bidding strategy let us know your maximum bid and we'll advise accordingly.

Hmm, I don't know where you got the $300+, but what I posted was $149 :)

For that price, you still think I can get a better deal than the Warwick? I'm still browsing, but willing to buy anytime I find the best deal out there. So if you think I won't probably be able to beat a deal like that, then I'll buy. On the other hand, if you think I might land a better hotel for $150 or less on PRICELINE, then I'll start bidding. But so far, I've tried bidding a 4* in TS, MTE, CPS and ESB up to $135 with no luck for the December 20 to 23 nights.

I really think the Affinia Dumont for $188 (use coupon code FABSAVE10 for 10% off each night) via Orbitz.com is a good deal for a very highly rated hotel. Plus, you would get a larger studio instead of a tiny NYC room.

If this is of interest, please use the site's link to Orbitz.com.

The Affinia is rated #7 out of nearly 400 NYC hotels on tripadvisor.

I don't know where i came up with $300 either, i was probably thinking of a previous post i was replying to (that in conjunction with not finishing my coffee this morning when posted)

When did you last try PRICELINE up to $135?

skalibaba,

Are you able to book it on Travelocity?

I think so. I was able to get to the credit card page. I just need to confirm that dates are ok: I was leaning more towards December 20 to 23 (specially because of the 24th, we have something down here in Montreal at night, so that day will be very long!). But if everything is fine, I'll book that hotel.

As soon as I have the deal, I'll let you know.

Thanks

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]