Priceline Hotel: Budget London Trip - Heathrow Hotel Comments

wishful
By wishful,
in

Hello All,

I have had a birthday trip planned to London from 10/24-10/30-ish. I am using miles and am flexible with dates. Due to all sorts of stuff including the high price of gas and boarding my dog for $40 a day here at home, I'm on a very limited budget.

I'm considering bidding and staying at a Heathrow Airport hotel and commuting into London in order to save money. It looks like most winning bids have been around $60 USD and the Oyster cards would help save on transportation costs. I can't see on any websites what hotels are actually near an Underground or Train line to London - most sites say catch the Underground at the Terminals, but I'm not sure if that means that's the only place to catch it or if there are other stations.

Does anyone have experience with this particular commute?

And no, I can't postpone this trip until I have more money saved, I refuse to be in the States on my birthday :)

Thanks!

W

Looking to see how far I can make 4.95 days of vacation go...

If you got a hotel like the Sheraton Skyline, or the Holiday Inn Ariel, then the commute is not so bad, although I'd still not recommend it. If you get a hotel like the Crowne Plaza, the commute would be terrible. I get the impression that the terrible commute hotels are more frequent wins. If you are traveling alone, sometimes there are good deals on HOTWIRE for central London.

You can check out transit routes with the Journey Planner at www.thetube.com . Just enter the name of a hotel, and the address of a likely London attraction you want to visit, to get an idea of the commute involved.

Keep in mind that the dollar has risen against the pound a lot lately - so the bids you need may not be as high as before, depending on various factors during your stay of course.

Thanks much for the info, exchange rates, the economy, I need to escape :)

I'll check out the transport website, sounds like it is just what I need. The $20 US/night or so saved by staying at the Airport may not be worth the commute, but we'll see... Can't believe to board Buffy costs almost as much as a hotel room!

W

Looking to see how far I can make 4.95 days of vacation go...

Have a look at the Wiki for travel info into London from LHR and the associated hotels. The London Tool Kit is a good web-site

If this stay was for one or maybe two nights then the savings may be worth it.

However the down sides are:

If you win the Crowne Plaza or the Novotel you are not near a tube station and will have to at least get a Bus to get anywhere.

The Tube is undergoing regular "upgrading" which means, especially at weekends, that lines are closed or disrupted making the the 1hour tube ride to London KX even longer, difficult or at times down right impossible!

The Tube is not 24\7, last ones tend to be around midnight and then start again at about 05:00

There are night buses, though obviously not that frequent and the bus journey to LHR is (IIRC) longer than the tube.

As WillTravel says there'll be no nearby cheap eating options.

Also consider that some of the hotels CHARGE a fee (and it's not just pennies) to take the shuttle into Heathrow from their hotel. That adds on substantially. Plus it is not a quick ride in. You cannot use the Heathrow Express with your Oyster Card, or at least you couldn't as of last year. I would not recommend it. I think you can get some decent deals in London that will end up being a better trip. Often the Hilton Olympia has really inexpensive wins on Priceline. It is not a great hotel, but acceptable.

Good luck.

Hi,

You can also use offical tfl.gov.uk site, which is the offical website for transport in and around London and also gives you all teh infor on the Oyster Card.

I have just got 4* Copthorne Tara Kensington in London for just befre Christmas 2oth December for 3 nights for $73 a night , a bit over you budget quoted but a good hotel and right near tube station for easy access aorund the city.

Hope this helps, I have just posted how I got it if you want to look.

A couple of years ago, I had the same dilemma.

Read my post... Heathrow Crowne Plaza

You'll see that by trying to save by staying at Heathrow actually cost me more in money and time. In fact, because of the 55 minute tube ride each way, I actually spent 3-4 hours a day commuting (including getting to/from the tube) which shortened my enjoyment of London. AND, I got stuck for a cab from Heathrow back to the hotel one night!

For 1 night with an early morning flight, yes. More than that, forget it.

Hal

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]