Hotwire Hotel: chicago 3/14/09 - 3/21/09

mickeytheshoe
By mickeytheshoe,
in

hi all,

guess im a bit early for the good deals. just browsing on hotwire for above dates and there is a four star hotel im mag mile for 109. i think it is the james.(spa and laundry seem to stand out.) does anyone know if this is a good deal or not or do u think i should hold out.

Slightly worried as we are there for patricks week and dont know how busy the area is then.

any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks

If you are seeing 4*'s like the James for $109 and are sure that you are going on the trip, then I would recommend taking the listing now. Even if less people are traveling, I'd be willing to bet that a HOTWIRE listing for $109 for the James (if it is in fact the James) will not last long. I also don't think you'll get a better deal, as 4*'s in the city generally seem to have a floor for their discount rates (probably an issue of profit margin) and I can't imagine the James being found between now and then for any less than that. The James has also been seen less and less on HOTWIRE, so if it is something you would be interested in, I'd consider taking the chance.

Usually, the Housewares show - which is a major convention - takes place during this time period. However, in 2009 it occurs just after. There may be some other conventions on these dates I'm not aware of, but that would have been the one of more concern. St. Patrick's Day may result in some hotel traffic, but it's generally not a major draw.

• 1 month later...

I'm seeing it for $71 on Expedia ($83 for a lake view), which I would absolutely jump on *right now*. That is an excellent price for that hotel. Use coupon code FAN50 for another $50 off the final total.

$12 more certainly isn't bad for a lake view.

That would be the lowest price I've ever seen that W for. My only note would be to dress warmly. While March in Chicago can have surprise warm days, if it's cold, there's going to be a cold wind coming off the lake, and the hotel is across the street from the lake.

Again, awesome price though.

If you do decide to book this property for these dates, please don't forget to use that FAN50 coupon, and it would be greatly appreciated if you could use the site's link to Expedia.com. (click the Expedia.com.)

hi AaronJb

thanks for that.looks like a winner alright. fab50 doesnt work.tried it.

cant have everything. just have to run it by wife now. its for her birthday so u know gotta be done.

I was wondering do u know the hotel. tripadvisor is middling but as i know its all from a point of view.

Have u stayed there or do u know anything about it

thanks again

The W's are very much "love it or hate it" properties. I really like them because, while I wouldn't call myself "hip", I like the fact that they are different from Chicago's usual "business" hotels, which - while many of them terrific - they don't have much personality. However, I can completely understand where someone would be turned off by the hotel.

They are stylish, hip properties that essentially turn the lobby into a nightclub at night. The W Lakeshore is a former Days Inn that was completely redone several years ago.

If you are in your 20's-30's, chances are you might like the W. If you are in your mid-40's-50's and above, you may want to seek a different property.

The location is certainly a very nice area of the city, but - as I mentioned - if it's cold you'll get a wind off the lake. Navy Pier is a few blocks away and Michigan Ave. is about a 5-10 minute walk West.

Strange, entering FAN50 in the coupon code box works for me to get $50 off the total.

hi aaronjb

just to let you know i have booked the w lakeshore for 3/14-3/21

Its an amazing price and we couldnt let it go.

Wife all happy. $83.40 + 14.80 tax per night.

We are in ireland here which equates to 68 dollar approx. u wouldnt get a b+b here for that.

Thanks for all your help and of course i used the Expedia link from here

Glad you could take advantage of that rate; it's easily the cheapest rate I've ever seen for that hotel - regular or discount (Priceline/Hotwire). I think the W's are very nice, and I hope you enjoy your stay. You should get a view of both the lake and Navy Pier.

I'd strongly suggest heading the short walk over from the hotel to Illinois and McClurg, where you'll find Fox and Obel Cafe and Market (fox-obel.com), a really nice breakfast/lunch/dinner cafe and gourmet market. A couple of blocks further West of Fox and Obel is a grocery store (where you can get snacks, drinks, etc. much cheaper than the hotel.)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]