Hotwire- number of beds?

fourwindsbooks
By fourwindsbooks,
in

As best I can remember, according to HOTWIRE's terms, they don't guarantee the number of beds in a room. But we're travelling with 3 people this trip. I logged into HOTWIRE using the betterbidding link which defaults to 2 in a room. I came up with $122 for a 3star hotel in Boston, in the Boston Commons Theatre district. I changed the parameters to 3 people in a room and got $149 a night for what seems to be the same hotel. Is it safe to assume that I'll get two beds? Interestingly enough, I got one of the other people in the room to log in to book the room (he's in Atlanta, I'm in DC), he registered for Hotwire before checking the rates and then re-entered through Better Bidding's link. He asked for 3 people in a room and got a rate of $155! I can redo the request and still got $149 and I'm not logged in. Any thoughts? Thanks!

HOTWIRE guarantees bedding for the number of people in the party. That bedding can potentially include a fold-out couch or something along those lines (so, while usually two beds, some other form of bedding can qualify). However, I would believe that, at least in major cities, you are more likely looking at getting two beds.

Two people seeing different prices for the same property is not unusual on Hotwire, as prices on Hotwire can vary by a few bucks when two people are looking at the same property on two different computers.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could start your HOTWIRE purchase by clicking on the site's HOTWIRE link, as it helps support the site. Also, we ask that you please post your win here in the forum after your purchase, in order to help others. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently took New Year's vacation trips to Savannah, Ga. and Jacksonville Fla.

At each hotel purchased through Hotwire, I selected "2 guests" even though I just needed one king or queen sized bed.

In Savannah we got two double beds. I'd called ahead of time and there would be an extra charge for 1 queen sized bed.

In Jacksonville Beach, we got two single beds. I'd called way ahead of time to request a king or queen-sized bed, but when I got there the hotel was fully booked.

In the future, would my chances of getting one king or queen-sized bed be better if I just listed "1 guest"?

No, bedding is not guaranteed, all that is guaranteed is that the room will accomodate everyone included in your search. If you search for only one person, it's possible that you get a room with only one bed and just about any size (twin, double, queen, king)... by searching for 2 or more you at least ensure you're not going to get a single bedded room that is less than a Queen.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

I've purchased a room on HOTWIRE (through this site's link, of course) for three adults, and was given a room with one king sized bed- no room for negotiation. You must be careful. Maybe asking for a room to sleep three adults and one child would ensure a room with two beds - or is that a no-no when you actually have a party of three?

I've purchased a room on Hotwire (through this site's link, of course) for three adults, and was given a room with one king sized bed- no room for negotiation. You must be careful. Maybe asking for a room to sleep three adults and one child would ensure a room with two beds - or is that a no-no when you actually have a party of three?

I once booked a room for one adult and two children when it was actually one adult and one child. Although this should have given us two beds, when we arrived the clerk said we were down for one queen bed. However, he was happy to change it.

So what I would recommend is that if you get a hotel on Hotwire for 3+ people, that you then phone the hotel and ensure that they will have a room with two beds waiting for you. This way you have resolved the issue ahead of time, to get what you paid for, and you don't have to argue with a clerk.

I don't see any problem with buying a room for more people than you currently plan to have.

I've purchased a room on HOTWIRE (through this site's link, of course) for three adults, and was given a room with one king sized bed- no room for negotiation. You must be careful. Maybe asking for a room to sleep three adults and one child would ensure a room with two beds - or is that a no-no when you actually have a party of three?

Booking for three adults should have ensured two beds (or at least one bed and a pullout sofabed OR one bed and the option for a rollaway)... did you call HOTWIRE to have them help correct the situation?

PS- please remmeber to follow-up your Hotwire New Orleans and Hotwire London threads. Thanks!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 months later...

I really thought I had researched enough prior to my first bid w/ HW yesterday, but apparently not. I had the exact same thing happen as other posters. I asked for a room for three adults, and was defaulted to "two adults" and am now stuck w/ one king bed. The hotel has put in a request for two beds, but of course it isn't guaranteed. HW refused to budge and change it to a double bed room, although it would have been a very easy fix for them.

unless you have a screen shot showing your request for 3 adults, you will have to deal with the hotel to try and get a room with two double beds.

Good Luck, and let us know how you make out. If you are a member of the Holiday Inn Priority Club, you may want to call the hotel prior to check in to add your number to the reservation and attempt to get your requested room preference.

This is definitely NOT true. A queen size bed is NOT guaranteed when bidding for 2 people. Although I use HOTWIRE alot, I had one experience at NYC at the Algonquin hotel that was disappointing. I bought the room for 2 guests. When I arrived, they told me I had a double bed. I told them that HOTWIRE had guaranteed a room that would sleep 2 people - would they please put me in a room with either 2 double beds or 1 queen/king bed? THe check-in person said that 2 people should be able to squeeze into a double bed and that is all they have to provide. My husband and I are both normal size people and we would never accept a double bed at any hotel we were paying for directly. The Algonquin said "This happens all the time with Hotwire purchases - we get these complaints". Needless to say, I reported this to HOTWIRE and gave the hotel and unsatisfactory review stating this too.

amanda_in_miami

I bought the room for 2 guests. When I arrived, they told me I had a double bed. I told them that HOTWIRE had guaranteed a room that would sleep 2 people
Didn't the room sleep two adults? One or two beds in the room, the room still sleeps two adults.
THe check-in person said that 2 people should be able to squeeze into a double bed and that is all they have to provide.
The check-in clerk is correct. HOTWIRE doesn't guantee 2 beds. The guarantee a room that sleeps 2 adults.
Needless to say, I reported this to HOTWIRE and gave the hotel and unsatisfactory review stating this too.
Very unfair. Read the HOTWIRE rules.

"All rooms booked on Hotwire will accommodate the appropriate number of guests in each room, based on the total number of guests you provided and the number of rooms you requested. While we cannot guarantee the number of beds in a property room"

Yellowdog.

Although I use HOTWIRE alot, I had one experience at NYC at the Algonquin hotel that was disappointing.

sorry that you had a poor experience, but this is the minimum acceptable sleeping accomodation through HOTWIRE.

if you are a frequent user of HOTWIRE, have you used the information on this board to identify hotels prior to purchase? If so, please please post your wins as others have done and use the HOTWIRE links on the board to keep it going.

thanks!

To summarize this thread so far:

If you book more than 2 people on HOTWIRE, you will get some sort of bedding (rollaway, 2 beds, 1 bed + sofabed, etc.) for your whole party. If that doesn't occur at checkin, call HOTWIRE and have them sort it out.

If you book 1-2 people, you are guaranteed 1 bed. Not all hotels have every kind of bed, so you may not get a king for 2 people.

If you don't get exactly the bed type you want, what I recommend is to think, "Well, I could be camping right now instead of having paid 50-60% off for this 4-star hotel I'm currently staying in." I guarantee you will feel at least a little bit better about the situation after that.

• 1 month later...

I would not be sleeping outside after paying $233 for a five star hotel and three guest through Hotwire and saving no dollars through Hotwire!!! I booked my Hotwire reservation thinking I was "saving" money on a two bed room at the Venetian. I received a King bed with a pull out sofa. I could have booked this same room through the Venetian for $199 and received a resort amenities couon book for $40 off Jersey Boy tickets, restaurant savings $20, and free game paly credit. I decided to go with Hotwire as I was booking for three in a room and the "Bella" rooms which have two beds were $279 but still had the resort savings coupons. What a rip-off.

My Hotwire res. was two rooms to accommadate six guest for a price of $233 at a five star property on the central strip for May 15 till May 17th.

The Hotel was the Venetian and I assumed it would be a Bella suite not a Luxuory suite which has a King bed. All of the Venetian rooms are suites and have sofas that pull out. It never crossed my mind that Hotwire would book the cheaper King room and expect one in our group to sleep on a sofa bed at a Five star resort.

I paid an additional $25 per room to upgrade to a Bella after calling HOTWIRE and talking to the Venetian front desk. The $258 per night was no savings as we did not receive any of the hotel coupons as we did not book the package.

I am wiser now and will probably not use HOTWIRE again unless it is a 50 to 60 percent savings and only booking for two. I probably would use PRICELINE first for substantial savings and could live with a pull out sofa at a three star hotel.

Who wants to go on vacation and be the housekeeper each morning and night to pull out the sofa bed, move the coffee tables and chairs, add bedding from the closet and repeat!!!! Not to mention the sofa bed comfort of the middle bar pressing into your back and the contour of a roller coaster matress.

Just call me older, wiser, and more aware of what "accommadation" means.

I probably would use PRICELINE first for substantial savings and could live with a pull out sofa at a three star hotel.

Keep in mind that with PRICELINE only double occupancy is guarnateed... you can receive a room with only one bed and no pullout sofabed, leaving any guests over double occupancy potentially sleeping on the floor.

Although you should get sleeping spaces for three if you book for three people on HOTWIRE, I'd still send the hotel a reminder about it. I once booked a hotel on Hotwire for three people, and the clerk told me that it was booked for one queen bed. He agreed that I had booked for three people and changed it to two queens, but if the hotel had been out of rooms it could have been a problem. So when you win your hotel for three people, send a friendly email to the hotel telling them that you are looking forward to your stay, that you booked a room for three on HOTWIRE, and you want to know what type of room you will get.

A while ago I booked a room on Hotwire specifying three adults (my husband, myself, and my now adult-age daughter). I called the hotel to confirm the reservation and was told Hotiwre had booked a room with only one queen bed. I asked the reservation clerk to note my request for two queen beds as we were a party of three. She said she would do so but no guarantees.

I then called Hotwire customer service as I did not want to have a problem with the trip. The service rep. said to me (I am paraphrasing) that there is some kind of rule that a hotel can NOT give three adults a room with only one bed. He said to call Hotwire at check in if I had any problems.

When I went to check in, the clerk said, I see you are a party of three and have requested two beds, no problem....

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]