IAH Houston Midsize Avis

graphicaluser
By graphicaluser,
in

Hi,

I m looking for a mid-size car rental for 10 days starting 16th Oct 9 PM till 26th Oct 9 AM pickup and drop off @ Bush Intercontinental. I looked up @ hotwire, and it gave me $23.95/day, and a total of $342.71 including everything. I did not bid on priceline because of the below policy of priceline. Btw, I was thinking of making an offer of 19$ for a midsize car.

If your offer is accepted, we will immediately lock in your reservation and charge your credit card. Only the driver will be able to pick up this rental car at the counter. If your offer is not accepted, your credit card will not be charged.

I also looked at Travelocity, and the cheapest that I got from them was $372, plus the taxes, and the grand total would be 540$ something.

Which one is a good option? Hotwire does seem good, but the difference is huge and thats kinda making me hesitant.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Are your plans firm... what is it about the PRICELINE policy above that makes you leary? Is the HOTWIRE rate a 'retail' rate or do you not learn the name of the rental company until after your purchase? (if the latter, the same policy would apply at the PRICELINE one above)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes in HOTWIRE, they will announce the name of the company only after the purchase. For PRICELINE, the concern is that if the offer is accepted, I wont have the chance of looking at any other offers at any other place which might give me a cheaper rate.

The "non-cancellability" issue would apply to both PRICELINE and HOTWIRE purchases in which the rental company name is only shown after your purchase... so with either you wouldn't be able to continue to search for a better rate.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

but atleast incase of HOTWIRE i would be able to see the rate anytime i want ?

... but that rate isn't guaranteed until you buy it, so i'm not quite sure i see the point.

The "retail" and "opaque" rates are somewhat correlated, so there is a good chance that if you see 'retail' rates go up, that when you do your next HOTWIRE search the rate there will be up as well.

If you do take the HOTWIRE rate, it would be non-cancellable, so what advantage would you have to be able to continue to monitor HOTWIRE and see the most current rate (whether is goes up or down would be of no benefit to you)

Well, my initial rate of 19$ was not accepted by PRICELINE, so I just booked the car from HOTWIRE, because its only one week left, and I dont want to wait any further, so Hotwire gave me a rate of 23.95$ and the grand total came at about 342$. The company is Avis, any experiences with that one, but thanks "Thereuare" for your valuable advice, I appreciate it.

Thanks,

graphicaluser

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]