Priceline Hotel: 3* Wilmington (Wilmington - Brandywine) Wyndham

iahphx
By iahphx,
in

Again bid for some friends (can't believe there have been NO Delaware posts since mine last October!) for some August days. Wyndham popped up this time for $45. FWIW, there seem to be only three 3* hotels that participate in Wilmington -- the Wyndham, Sheraton Suites and Doubletree. Started bidding at $41, rejected, waited 3 days.

Guided by hotwire, which shows a 3* available for $54. Looking at hotwire seems to be good guidance here. If you don't want the Wyndham, make sure hotwire is more than $54 (personally, I think all the hotels are about equal).

Thanks for rounding out the trio of 3* hotels in this area.

I'm not really that surprised that there aren't too many Delaware bids... it's not really a 'destination' location and it's such a small state that many who are just passing thru would likely stay someplace in Southern NJ, Philadelphia, Baltimore, or DC.

However, i think this brings out a good point... even though there aren't many posts for this area, this sub-zone is already 'complete' at the 3* level (as far as we know). Sure, the more datapoint the better, but i think there is already enough info (although limited) that one could make an educated bid.

Do your friends vacation in Delaware often... or is there something in the area that i don't know about (and should)?

Thanks for reporting the win and i hope your friend have a great trip... i'm sure they're thrilled with the price!

PS- my apoligize to the Delaware Division of Tourism :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

What, Wilmington not a "destination" city? :)

For the Northeast, it is somewhat of a backwater. But it does make a nice weekend destination, the "Brandywine Valley" as I think it's called. Most famous for the "chateau country" that stretches north to Chadd's Ford in Pennsylvania. Some excellent old DuPont estates worth visiting, especially Winterthur, which is one of the nation's most famous decorative arts museums, and Longwood Gardens -- which actually seems better known among foreigner visitors than Americans.

The area is also known for tax-free shopping. Somewhat diluted by the fact that I think both NJ and PA don't charge sales tax on clothing, but Delaware's a good place for Northeasterners to buy other big ticket items like diamonds and computers.

The most famous Wilmington hotel, the Hotel DuPont, doesn't participate in priceline. But the 3 that do are all fine, and certainly bargains for under $50. There are several country inns in chateau country, but for 50 bucks, I think you're better off staying at a chain hotel. My guess is the inns would be 3X that price.0

Downstate Delaware does tons of tourism in summer at its beaches. Rehoboth and Bethany are practically DC suburbs in summer. There's a priceline zone there, but I don't think we've seen a lot of successful bids. Like the Hamptons, people don't really stay there in hotels. They either own or rent beach houses for the week. I'm personally not a big fan of Rehoboth -- I think it's characterless and expensive and wouldn't dream of telling anyone to travel far to get there -- but if you live in DC or Baltimore and want a beach, it's more than adequate.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]