Priceline Hotel: Zone advice for San Francisco

tufty2000
By tufty2000,
in

I have only been to San Francisco once before about 13 years ago. My wife and I going on vacation, and plan do some things in the city and some in the surrounding area. Given that, I think I'm pretty flexible as to zones, and they seem pretty close to one another based on the priceline map.

Given that, does anyone have advice as to which zones to prioritize based on the area. I was thinking of including Union Sq. East and West, Embarcadero and Fisherman's Wharf, and I wasn't sure which zones to include first.

You've pretty much hit the 4 zones which are most frequently bid (USE, USW, Embarcadero, and Fisherman's Wharf)... but i'm the new SOMA-Moscone Center zone may be an option as well (the previous "Union Square East-Embarcadero" zone has been subdivided into three new zones: USE, Embarcadero, and SOMA-Mocscone Center). However, note that the Fishermans Wharf zone is not convenient to a BART station so from there you'll mostly be taking busses/cable car, so that may be a consideration depending upon where you will heading and how you intend to get there.

If you're ready to bid let us know which zone(s) you decide upon and what star rating you'd like to try for and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow. Others more experienced with San Francisco may chime in with a bit more detailed info.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've been going to SFO for years, and almost always stay at Fisherman's Wharf. Unlike some locations it seems pretty safe, and the streetcars (NOT cable cars) that run down the Embarcadero connect easily to BART for a trip to/from the airport, as well as all of Market Street.

Cheers

Would you not recommend the SOMA/Moscone Center area as an add on?

Thanks. I have been turned down in USE, USW, and Embacadero at for 4 star at up to $135. I'll try adding SOMA

I don't know enough about the new SOMA-Moscone zone to comment, but since it used to be part of the USE zone i would think it should be fine.

I'd start by looking at the Priceline Hotel List for the reported hotels in this zone at the star level you're bidding and decide how you feel about them and their location (no guarantee you'll receive one of these properties, but it's a good start, and the zone isn't that big in terms of geographic size that if you do encounter any location issues they're not likely to be too big of a deal, i would guess)

Let us know how we can help going forward.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I did a check of PRICELINE's vacation package (air + hotel) for 10/3-10/10 just to get some sort of idea which zone is coming up cheapest. Of the 4 star hotels, the Westin San Francisco Market Street in the SOMA zone was the least expensive, followed by the Parc 55 in USW.

The package price for one person, flying from LAX to SFO was $1376 at the Westin SOMA and $1400 at Parc 55 USW. If you back out $200 for the airline ticket (it could possibly be less than that -- just ballpark figures here), that would leave roughly $168 a night at the Westin SOMA (including nightly taxes & fees). A bid of $140-$145 a night would probably wind up to be about $168 when you add taxes/fees. While it may be possible to get a lower rate accepted for some of your dates, it can often take higher prices to be successful for a bid of seven nights. Hope this helps a little!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]