Priceline Hotel: Amsterdam Bidding Help

s2kforfun
By s2kforfun,
in

Well, I guess I was just wondering how do you know where to start bidding as far as price range. I thought there was some clue from the tax equation, that would predict the starting price range.

i guess you just actually start by bidding low and not getting to anxious .?.

That way you feel like you will get the right price. On the money that is.

I have booked a room in Rome through octopustravel.com before realizing I could book this through priceline as well. We found a 3* to 4* Domus mariae for only $105 per night. From here, we intend on flying to Amsterdam Schipol and may need to book one night at Fiumicino Airport, Italy; and then, a few nights in Amsterdam before our connectiong flight home.

I have started bidding in Amsterdam, yesterday.

May 15-18, 4* or better, City Center, $70.00- rejected

2nd bid same day, 4 * or better, Center and Museum Quarter, $76.00- rejected

Now, I think I should wait before changing my zones again.

Have you heard about the Hilton Rome Airport being offered on priceline or hotwire?

As far as a starting bid, the best scenario is if there is a prior winning bid (even better if it shows taxes!!) so that you can figure out what's been accepted in the past (and Priceline's actual cost of the taxes are shown). Other than that, you can sometimes get a "feel" for these things depending upon how crowded/expensive of a city it is, class of hotels available, etc. (although it's more difficult with overseas reservations like this). Of course, you're encouraged to just ask for help here and usually somebody will have experience in the area or at least have a suggestion.

For your Amsterdam stay, i checked and we've had a winning 4* hotel in the Aiport zone ($70) and a 4* win in City Center ($85). Looking at the airport hotel, i noticed that there is a rate change during your stay. The first nite is ~$165(US$) and then goes down to ~$100(US$). It's possible that your bid MAY have been rejected because it wasn't high enough for the first nite, but would have been high enough for the 2nd and 3rd. You can consider splitting your bid, bidding the 1st nite separately than the 2nd and 3rd nites, but you run the risk of having to switch hotels after the first nite if your bids "win" different properties. Be sure to read this before splitting your bid: Should I Split My Bid?

If you'd rather not split your bid, you may want to try bidding as high as $85 since there is a prior win at the Marriott City Center at that level (although it's only one reported win, it doesn't likely that it would result in a bad overbid since $76 was already rejected in this zone). Although the Marriott's website also shows a rate change after the first nite.

Hope this helped a little bit. There are quite a few "world travelers" on this site and i would encourage any of them to add any info/insight that they may have.

When you decide if you need a hotel in Italy, let us know and we'll start to research that as well.

As always, thanks for your support and using the links at the top of the page.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thereuare,

I have a question, if I add a zone on the bid, and the bid is still not accepted, can I change the zones back to the original two (Museum and Center) after the 72-hour waiting period?

BTW, thanks again for the input, it is greatly appreciated.

I'm not an expert, but my understanding is after the 72-hour period, you can just start a new bid. No need to build on the previous one.

Well, I just began to get a little nervous about the city being completely booked since I have never been to Amsterdam in the peak season.

The Netherlands tourism site, books online through Bookings.nl so I decided to see what they had to offer. We ended up finding a 3* in Museum District / South for $82.50 per night special rate.

This fits right into our budget even if it is a little far out of town. Vondelpark is closeby and I imagine many people hang out there during the day when it is sunny.

The Central zone for public transportation is within a few blocks from the hotel.

Thanks for your help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]