Priceline Hotel: 4* Orlando (Universal Studios-SeaWorld) Renaissance

clgoody
By clgoody,
in

Welcome (officially) to BetterBidding!

If you mean how do you post to ask for help.... try this thread: Getting Started.

If that doesn't answer your question(s) just post as a reply to this thread and we'll then move this thread to the appropriate section of the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hello!

I want to bid in the Sea World/Universal area. I would really prefer 'Resort,' but it seems that anyone rarely has success with this. I see no reviews of JW Marriott Grande Lakes. Does anyone ever win this? Does anyone know how far it is from Sea World? Do they provide a shuttle service?

We currently have ressies for 8 nights at the Hard Rock, but am looking to split the stay as the last few days we will be doing DC, SW & Aquatica and it just seems to make more sense to be closer. Plus, it will save a lot of dough!

I would also be willing to bid 4* as both hotels seem nice. I understand that the Renaissance is across the street from SW. Do they also offer a shuttle (not sure how far to DC and Aquatica)? And the Peabody...how far is that? Do they offer a shuttle?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I plan on bidding soon, but had a few questions beforehand...

Thanks so much!

I see no reviews of JW Marriott Grande Lakes. Does anyone ever win this? Does anyone know how far it is from Sea World? Do they provide a shuttle service?
If you enter "Orlando Universal Marriott" in the search box in the blue banner at the top of the board you will see all reports for this property... lats reported win was in 2005.
I would also be willing to bid 4* as both hotels seem nice. I understand that the Renaissance is across the street from SW. Do they also offer a shuttle (not sure how far to DC and Aquatica)? And the Peabody...how far is that? Do they offer a shuttle?
You can go to Google Maps and enter the names of all of these hotels to see their location(s) and how far each is from the various locations you're interested in (you'll even get driving directions)

Once you're ready to bid let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the info. It sounds like bidding resort in the Uni/SW area is a waste of time, huh?

Does anyone know if the 2 available 4* offer a shuttle? And does it run several times/day?

It's hard to decide what to do when you don't know all you want/need to know. I've visited both websites for the 4* hotels but it's hard to find info about shuttles.

It sounds like bidding resort in the Uni/SW area is a waste of time, huh?
It's not necessarily a waste of time as somebody in the future will be the first to report a resort hotel being one in this zone... but you have to be realistic and assume the chances are low. We have seen hotels not reported for year(s) and then one day suddenly begin to appear again, so it depends upon how much time you want to put into the bidding process.
I've visited both websites for the 4* hotels but it's hard to find info about shuttles.
Why not give each of them a call and ask... this way you'll not only find out if they offer shuttle service, but can get current schedule and frequency information?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Hi. I've stayed at both the JW Grande Lakes and the Renaissance. There's no shuttle to SW from the Ritz or JW, just Town Cars that cost a lot. From the Renaissance, you can walk to SW, and if it were me, I'd walk to Aquatica, too, but it's far (definitely not for toddlers, unless you can carry 40 pounds 3/4 mile). The JW is amazing with it's lazy river pool. People talk about how great the Omni is, but for my money, the JW Marriott is a ten times better pool. The river really is lazy and wide and the 5 pools are spectacular. Everything is expensive, OMG breakfast is a fortune, but if you win it on PRICELINE, who cares?

Thank you for the info. That helps a lot!

I am very tempted to try for the resort as JW sounds wonderful and our son would LOVE the pool/river, but the fact that there's no transportation sucks. I could stay at HRH and take a car, or even their shuttle. The main reason for moving from the HRH is to be more convenient to the SW parks. Sounds like JW isn't as convenient as I thought.

It's looking like it's 4* for me. Any advice on bidding is appreciated.

Looking for Feb 14-18, Universal/SW area only

We wouldn't want to suggest a strategy that went higher than you were willing to pay... what is your maximum bid for this stay?

Let us know and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Also, note that on your 4* bidding you could be upgraded to a Resort class property... given the discussion above this doesn't seem very likely, but thought i'd just mention it in a "it's possible" scenario and in case anyone else is reading this and trying to apply this to their own situation in the future.

At the 4* level you have NINE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Universal-SeaWorld...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $72, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $74, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $76, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $78, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

What are your thoughts of the Residence Inn vs. a 4* hotel in this zone? Would an 'unknown' 4* hotel in this zone be worth more, less, or the same to you vs. staying at the Residence Inn?

What is the best rate you're able to find at a 4* property in this zone?

Well, I have never stayed at the Residence, but can get 4 nights in a 1 br suite for $523.84, all fees included. It seems nice enough and is relatively close. If I can get a 4* for less than that, I would be happy. It would save me just over $1000 as I would be paying $1634.40 for those 4 nights at HRH in a club room.

I wonder if I am having difficulty because it's still over 4 months away or because it's during Pres. week, or a combo?

I can get the Renaissance for $229 and the Peabody for $395, both through AAA.

I wonder if I am having difficulty because it's still over 4 months away or because it's during Pres. week, or a combo?
Could be both...

Start by reading this excellent post from a hotel manager regarding How Hotels Set Rates.

Essentially you're going during a peak time when hotels are likely projecting that they can sell the bulk of rooms on their own... so there is little reason to offer very deep discounts to the opaque, or other, suppliers. Obviously the further into the future an event is the harder it is to predict, so things can change between now and then, especially given the current state of the economy and financial markets. Each day as your dates draw closer, hotels will have a clearer and clearer picture of just how well their projections are, and adjust rates accordingly (note: both us and down)

While you're basing your maximum bid based upon a 3* hotel which is acceptable to you (which is fine/good), to compare apples-to-apples, you're trying for a 4* at rates less than half (and in one instance less than 25% of) prevailing rates for hotels of this star rating. While a hotel may be willing to discount a little at this point in time in order to secure a reservation vs. one which they think they will receive (bird in hand is worth two in flight), there is probably little reason to discount too much if they feel there is enough demand to fill the hotel rooms at full price.

Ultimately i think you need to decide if you're comfortable with the Residence Inn, and if so, if you're willing to pay more, or only willing to match that rate, in order to upgrade the star rating of your hotel.

Does the above make sense?

My advice:

bid $77 in the Walt Disney World area (Resorts) and be happy with the Omni Champions Gate. It was awesome and has shuttles going everywhere (you can call them to see about Sea World).

The staff is nice, the hotel is great, and the area is away from the cheezy International Drive area. It has an unbelievable lazy river pool and is very clean. The restaurants are very good, also.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies.

As to the amount I've been bidding, it is partly based on what I see others reporting for a win in the area/star level. I see people getting the Renaissance and the Peabody for anywhere between $70-90. Maybe because of the time of my travel, those rates are unrealistic. For me, the idea of using Priceline is to save $$. If I'm going to pay higher prices, I'd rather know, ahead of time, what I'm getting. At least bidding 4* in the Sea World area, I (pretty much) know that it's between two different places. I'm scared of Hotwire...not knowing ANYTHING until after you pay...too much for me. I know there are ways to decipher, based on amenities listed, but it's just too risky.

As to bidding in Walt Disney area, I'm just not interested. Part of the reason we are considering leaving the HRH early is to be closer to Sea World. Plus, there are a few resorts in the WDW area that scare me, lol. I did bid on that area a few years ago and got very lucky with the Marriott World Center. It was lovely and we were very pleased, but we were visiting DW, so it made sense...and we had a car.

I am going to keep trying, as I have plenty of time and I still have my ressie at HRH, so we will not be without accommodations. At this point, I am willing to bid up to $100.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]