Priceline Hotel: Ft. Laud (Downtown), 2.5*, Amerisuites

s2kforfun
By s2kforfun,
in

First, I have to thank all who have contributed to the tips and suggestions, to the hotel reviews and information, and to making such a great useful website.

Now, I want to tell you that this is the first time I have ever thought of using such a service as Priceline. But, while I was doing some research for a cruise my honey and I are about to take which departs Ft. Lauderdale, I found Burbunny's and Thereuare's post about betterbidding.com

I am very happy I did.

On March 30, 2003, a few days ago, I ended up getting

the Amerisuites- Downtown- 2.5* for only $49 + taxes and service fee.

Your offer Price: $49.00

# of rooms: 1

# of nights: 1

Subtotal: $49.00

Taxes: $4.07

Processing fee: $5.95

Total charges: $59.02

The FIRST BID: $49.00 for 3* Downtown FLL- rejected;

The SECOND: $49.00 for 2.5* or 3* Downtown FLL- accepted for the above.

This was so fun. I am excited to try it again sometime.

Psst, BTW what is the significance of the taxes? While reading a few of the posts I have noticed mention of it indicating overbid. How can I telll; will someone explain, or tell me where to find the info?

Oh yeah, I wanted to comment on my own bidding flaw.

I should have either lowered my bid when I lowered my star rating, Or I could have tried the next dollar bracket $51.

I believe this may have gotten me the 3* rating I originally intended. At least from what I have read.

Congratulations on your first "win".

The taxes are used to figure out Priceline's cost of the room, which presumably, is the lowest price they will accept for the room, and is explained in further deail HERE.

In summary, you divide the taxes per nite by the tax rate to get Priceline's cost. Since taxes in Fort Lauderdale area 11%...

4.07 / .11 = $37

So Priceline's cost for this room was $37, a slight overbid on your part, but MUCH better than anything you could have gotten on your own through a "traditional" booking.

Thanks for returning and posting your winning info... these boards don't work without it!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the reply, guys.

well, I think you are both right. It is a good lesson and a good win even still. I am satisfied, and this only encourages me to do my homework longer next time. Of course saving another $10 or $15 would have been nice too.

Is there any way of knowing , i.e. advancing through screens on priceline. I am about to book a room in Europe for a few nights post-cruise.

this only encourages me to do my homework longer next time.

Is there any way of knowing , i.e. advancing through screens on priceline. I am about to book a room in Europe for a few nights post-cruise.

No need to spend more time on 'homework'... just ask for help at the board OR (if you enjoy doing research) post your strategy here before implementing to confirm that it's the best approach.

I don't understand your question in the last line (i think you might have left out a word or two).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]