Hotwire using half stars

iahphx
By iahphx,
in

Admittedly, I don't use hotwire very often, but I just asked for a quote (to get an idea of what might be available for less on priceline!) and saw a property listed as 3 1/2 stars. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing "half star" ratings at hotwire before. True?

I've had bad experiences with my few hotwire purchases in the past (ordinary holiday inns getting 3 stars, etc), but I'm wondering whether a 3 1/2 star hotwire hotel might at least be a 3 star priceline property. That would make hotwire bidding more bearable.

They have always (at least for the last few years) had 2.5*, 3.5*, as well as 4.5* properties.

You are correct that very often Hotwire's 3.5* would be equal to a 3* on Priceline. The bigger question is when you get to a Hotwire 4*... will this be a Priceline 4* or 3*?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The bigger question is when you get to a Hotwire 4*... will this be a Priceline 4* or 3*?

I would always assume a hotwire hotel is a lesser property than an equally rated hotel on priceline.

In my case, I'm looking at a hotwire 3 1/2 star property for $54. I'll be surprised if I can't snag it for $10 less on priceline, and I don't have to worry about getting a sub-3 star hotel. It's what makes hotwire usually a poor choice -- you pay more and often get less.

I agree with you about the 3.5* property being equivalent to a Priceline 3* (probably close to 100% of the time since Priceline doesn't use the 3.5* rating in their system).

However, i would guess that 60% of the time a Hotwire 4* is equal to a Priceline 4*, and 40% the time is equal to a Priceline 3*... that's why i stated that is the bigger (harder to figure out) question.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I remember when i was a counselor at a day camp, and of course, the kids never wanted to go to instructional swim in the morning. One overcast morning at the 'flag pole' meeting a camper asks "Do we have to go to instructional swim" at which point the director of the camp replied, "Yes, there's only a 30% chance of rain." I then chimed in, "Good, only 3 out of 10 of us will get wet!" :)

Even my statistics professor in college would sarcastically ponit out: odds and statistics don't mean much... for each event your actual outcome will be either 0 (failure) or 1 (success). Using the rain example above, a 30% chance of rain is meaningless... it either will rain (a value of 1) or it won't rain (a value of zero).

I guess maybe the point is that Hotwire's ratings are not lower than Priceline's in every circumstance... at some star levels there is little overlap and similarity, while in others there is a fair amount of overlap and ratings are often equivalent.

I guess the bottom line is that it's important to utilize the board, gain an understanding of how each service's rating system works, and hopefully lessen the chances of being disappointed (with both Priceline or Hotwire).

I really like that Hotwire has 1/2 star ratings -- at least when it comes to 4.5*'s. In Seattle (where I bid the most often), there are some Priceline properties I really would NOT want to stay in that are Priceline 4* rated.

My one experience with a 4* Hotwire property was horrible -- I'm sure it would have been 3* on Pricline -- I'll never bid on Hotwire at the 4* level again. Once burned...

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]