NYC - JFK car rental advice

baslerin
By baslerin,
in

Hi!

After touring NYC, we're planning to rent a car and drive to New England.

I've never rented a car via PL or in NYC & am hoping for some advice. :)

Is it best to pick up the car in Manhattan or JFK? It's usually cheaper to pick up away from the airport, but i'm nervous

to drive in NYC. Alternatively, we'd take a cab or shuttle to JFK to pick up the car - we intend to return it to JFK,

in any event, before flying home. I think with PL i have to pick up & return at the same location...

My PL bids of $30-35 for a mid-size car in Oct. have not been accepted.

- What price should i expect for a rental car in NYC?

- Does the PL final price include ALL taxes & fees?

- Would it best for an "out-of-towner" to avoid driving in NYC? :)

Thanks!

What day of the week (and time of day) do you intend to leave Manhattan? There are times when the streets of NYC are very easy to navigate, while at other times there's nothing to navigate because it's the equivalent of sitting in a parking lot.

Many car rental companies need cars to go one-way from Manhattan to the airports so you may not have to pay extra for a different drop-off location.

What are the dates that you need the car rental? Do you already have flights out of JFK?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We're leaving NYC on a Wed, sometime in the morning (no set time), and will need the car for 11 days.

We've already booked our flights at JFK.

So far, the best deal i've seen is Hotwire for $530, but i'm hoping i can do better on PL.

When i pay PL, will i owe anything else to the car agency? What kind of rate should i expect with PL?

Two forces at work:

1) Expensive car rental rates in NYC

2) Savings with Priceline Car Rentals are not as great as they are with Priceline Hotels

Give the costs and concern of driving in Manhattan, would you consider taking MetroNorth into Connecticut and renting a car there? You could then either do a one-way rental and return the car to JFK or simply return the car to the same rental counter in Connecticut and then take mass transit to the airport.

Let us know, as well as provide the actual dates of travel if you'd like us to try to help find other options.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]