MO St Louis Holiday Inn Select Downtown Convention Center

micawber
By micawber,
in

We were hoping for the Millenium, but got this hotel instead, which seemed fine at original glance. Price was $49.

Amenities: Fitness Center, Pool, Restaurants, Business Center, High Speed Internet Access

(sorry, don't know how to add this to the list)

Again, it all seemed like it would be fine. It was near the convention center, light rail, a 15 minute walk to the ballpark and a 5 minute walk to the light rail to take us down to the arena. We weren't going to be spending a lot of time in the hotel anyway.

The hotel is undergoing significant renovation. Don't expect all the amenities to be available. There was a list taped to the bathroom mirror describing the improvements, and - for example - putting an internet jukebox in the bar was a higher priority than any of the guest room renovations. i understand that that's probably because it's easier, but i'm not sure that the guests would view it that way. the fitness center was open when we arrived, but then closed the next day. the pool wasn't open when we arrived, and then opened the next day.

It is on a street behind the convention center, a 'blind' street in that there are no windows facing the street from the CC. At night it's more than a little creepy. if i had been staying by myself (single woman, or even in a pair) i would not have felt great coming back here at night. downtown STL is no great shakes.

there is not much nearby, although the starbucks around the corner in the renaissance hotel was VERY helpful. there are more restaurants several blocks away up washington st.

When we pulled into the hotel, the first thing we did was get yelled at by the van driver that we pulled in the driveway the wrong way. I had checked the opening for signs - there were none stating that it was an exit only - and there were cars parked facing the direction I was pulling in. In any event, we were just checking in, and there was no call to yell at a guest, EVER.

the clerk at checkin could not have been less helpful. no offer of a map. getting an explanation as to where the parking garage was seemed like an imposition.

Parking is immediately adjacent to the hotel and there are spaces earmarked for hotel guests even when there are other events in town. The guards at the garage were polite and helpful. It's a short walk to the hotel. it felt a little less creepy after we did it the first night but there were a lot of people coming in and out, which helped.

There is no one at the front in terms of a security guard after 11, but you have to use your keycard to get into the hotel after 11. I don't mind the latter, but if you need that, then have a freaking security guard.

The desk clerks were surly or short with guests, cutting them off while speaking, constantly. The parking garage closed one night for no reason we could see, and we had to pay to get out of it (instead of handing the front gate our validated ticket)_. When we mentioned this to the front desk, they first asked for a receipt and when we politely explained that the machine we had to pay didn't issue receipts (and I'm sorry, like this hasn't happened before? they should know), they cut us off and barked that we would get a refund. if the garage isn't manned 24/7, then explain this to guests in advance - we had to get our ticket validated before we left so it's not like they didn't know that's where we were going.

It wasn't just us - everyone who had to deal with them was treated rudely (I am a terminal eavesdropper). The hotel was VERY busy due to a football game, the Cardinals in town facing the Braves, *and* Bruce Springsteen playing. I understand that puts a burden on the staff, but if you can't handle it, don't go into the hospitality industry.

We got up early one day to go get ballgame tickets, and then took the ballpark tour, and THEN came back to the hotel around 11:30 to shower and change. We didn't know how everything would go or how long we would be gone so we left the "do not disturb" sign on our room door. We went out a few times while getting ready (to get ice and snacks), and were hassled by the maid as to whether or not we wanted our room made up & asked us when we would be leaving. I've never, ever been asked that, except when I was working in a room all day and it was around 5pm. When we came back in the late afternoon, they were STILL on our floor servicing rooms. So I really don't understand the need to rush us or even ask.

the lobby is shabby, the restaurant is breakfast only, the sportsbar adjacent has bar food. the place definitely needs renovation, but it shouldn't be a 3 star until it's finished. internet was indeed free and fast. despite the rude housekeeping staff, the rooms were cleaned nicely. i would not ever bid 3* in Downtown STL again and risk getting this place. it was so thoroughly unpleasant that if we had been able to find anything else in downtown STL at any price, we would have moved despite leaving money on the table.

• 2 years later...

The previous review from 2008 said the hotel was under renovation and the reviewer had a bad stay. I had a better stay.

My stay was Wednesday, January 26, 2011. Here is the related priceline bidding topic.

The renovations were completed and all the hotel features were in pretty good shape. Beautiful swimming pool, beautiful lobby with a nice fireplace and two flatscreen TV's on different channels (one was sports and the other was news). Didn't go into the restaurant/bar, but it looked nice. The front desk staff was super nice and even played along politely with my harmless flirting.

The room was in great shape, all the appointments seemed new, and everything worked the way it was supposed to.

The previous reviewer mentioned the neighborhood. Yes, it's right behind the Convention Center, and at night it might seem a little daunting for a single woman. She also mentioned the adjacent parking. It wasn't too bad, but it did cost $15 per day to park, and you have to get a garage token at the front desk each time you leave. After getting a great deal ($32) using this board and Priceline, the $15 charge to park let the air out of my sense of triumph.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]