Priceline Hotel: 3* Seattle Downttown Red Lion Inn $50

Mary
By Mary,
in

I hope I have posted this in the right area. It should appear in Washington State hotels.

After reading through the site (and thanks for having this) I bid $30 for a 2 1/2 star hotel in the Downtown Seattle zone. A previous poster won with that bid, but I was rejected. I'm trying for 5/29/03 - 6/1/03.

Am I bidding too early? Any other suggestions? I would love to get the results the other person had.

I don't think it's too early to bid, and Priceline just may not have inventory at this time (but it changes all the time, so that doesn't mean they won't have inventory a few days from now)!

As of this writing, you have one free re-bid in this area, which will give you the opportunity to bid again (and raise your bid slightly) before the required 72 hour waiting period. If you have't already, you should give this a read to understand re-bids: Bidding Again Before 72 hours. If you don't understand how re-bidding works, please ask questions rather than make a mistake.

If you want to get this "done" as soon as possible i would use your one re-bid and raise my bid by just a few dollars, or if i wasn't in any rush, i would just wait it out and try again after 72 hours. Have you booked a cancellable back-up yet?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your response.

As I understand it, I can rebid adding the North Seattle area where there are only 1- and 2-star properties. This ensures my bid at the 2 1/2 star level will get a hotel in the downtown area.

With this much lead-time, I think I will try again in a few days.

Sounds like you understand re-bidding!! (that's about as tough as it gets when it comes to understanding the tricks of Priceline)

If you use re-bid zones, it's important to check the zone each time before you bid to make sure no hotels at the same level you are bidding (or higher) have been added.

Keep us informed as to your progress, and i would also recommend checking back here before you bid again to see if any add'l info has been added.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi, I was the one that got the BW for $30/night. I would suggest dropping to 2* and trying for a hotel that was recently posted here .... 2* Seattle (Downtown) Inn at Queen Anne. They charge $10 for parking which is cheaper than most hotels, they also have a good review and offer free breakfast. The Best Western is a rare exception that has free parking BUT is not as nice as the Queene Anne which used to be rated higher!!!

Looks cozy!!!

Otherwise, the cheapest 3* I have seen downtown goes for $40+++

If you do not mind staying out of downtown, there is a magnificent 3* Hyatt in Bellevue that goes for $29 on weekends. The parking is $12 and this is a great hotel... surrounded my extravagent malls, shops etc.

Tacoma, 35 minutes away has a 3* Sheraton (great water view or Mt. Ranier view depending on which side you pick) that goes for $29 and has free weekend parking on the street. It is a must for one night of your stay.

Thanks thesqueegeekid for your response.

I hope to do this trip without renting a car so I would prefer to stay somewhere in town. And I'm cheap. Really cheap. Penny wise, pound foolish cheap.

I did rebid for $31 adding in the North Seattle area and didn't get anything.

Maybe I'll review my options and end up bidding $40 for a better property. And the hotel in Tacoma sounds fantastic.

Just to add 3 comments to the above:

1) I usually try to raise my re-bids by at least $3 to give me better chances (unless i have prior evidence of winning bids getting accepted at prices less than $3 more), especially if i don't have other re-bid options. This is not to say that you should do the same, i'm just mentioning my own strategy/technique.

2) The 2* Queen Anne was won for $26/nite, although taxes show a cost of $27/nite, so this might be an instance where i bid at $26 and if rejected, only raise my bid by $1 to $27.

3) Keep in mind that rebid zones often change when you start looking at lower quality hotel properties (fewer rebid zones) and higher quality hotel properties (more rebid zones).

If the $31 re-bid you mentioned above was done today, you'll have to wait 72 hours from today to start your bidding over again. If you did it yesterday, the 72 hour clock started with your last rejected bid yesterday. If you chose to lower the star level to 2* you could bid it right away; as well, if you decided to switch zones and go for the 4* mentioned above, you could bid that right away too if you only select that new zone. You do have some time, so no rush, just making sure you're aware of your options.

Thanks for using our links:)

Success at 3* and more money. I bid $50 for 3* downtown Seattle and received the Red Lion Inn. AAA price is $116 per night and some internet site had it for $93.xx per night. Taxes indicate Priceline paid just under $45 per night.

Though I would have prefered to pay less (and should have started this round of bidding at $45), I think the hotel is in a beter location than the Best Western.

Thanks for all your help.

(and should have started this round of bidding at $45)

The great thing about this board, is now we all have a good idea of where to start bidding for 3* in the future... sometimes we take information, sometimes we give information :)

You got a great deal and cut your costs by about 1/2 compared to a traditional booking.

Thanks for updating your post with the results, and have a good trip.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]