Priceline Hotel: 3* Manhattan strategy - help please : )

nonbiz_paul
By nonbiz_paul,
in

I've relied on this forum for tips on bid successes before, but have never had to ask for advice. So here goes...

I need two rooms in Manhattan for this Saturday night (Aug 30) only. I have been rebidding 4* only for NYC, going up to $255 so far, with nothing.

My budget is $300. Been trying to come in at that number with taxes, etc. I've followed re-bid advice to include all areas w/o 4* properties. I have purposefully avoided Financial District...too far out of the way for a Saturday night.

I'm planning to go down to 3* so I can get this booked. We're going into the city to party. Not necessarily keen on tourist zones, but getting to the point of not being as picky. Stayed at the Hudson before, and that (or someplace similar) would actually be great.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Paul

two things I forgot to mention....

I have not yet bid on Empire State Building zone for 4*. Not really sure why I have been skipping that one.

Also, I'm coming and going via Grand Central. But proximity to a lively nightlife area is more important than how close I am to the train station.

Thanks again,

Paul

For what it's worth:

Hotwire

Areas: Midtown Central, South & East; Times Sq; Central Park

3* and up

3* Central Park - $455

3.5* Times Sq - $427

3.5* Midtown Central - $467

Nothing is coming up for Downtown/Soho anyway, so if you're feeling brave and getting close you could try using that as a rebid area. Don't blame me if you get one there though. :)

There's no reliable formula for Hotwire vs Priceline is there? I've always thought of Hotwire as the ceiling for comparable area/star rating.

Thanks. I guess there's no formula for anything!

I just booked Crown Plaza Times Square directly over the phone for $349, no deposit and cancel up to 6 pm the night before.

Priceline is showing best rate of $409.

And I had earlier today bid 3* Times Square area + darn near all of Manhattan up to $350 and got nothing.

The hotel has been under massive reconstruction. PRICELINE profile says it's supposed to be done this weekend. Hotel website says it's supposed to be done next month. And the reservation agent said it was completed 4 days ago. Go figure.

Anyway, I've got my backup plan.

Paul

Nothing is coming up for Downtown/Soho anyway, so if you're feeling brave and getting close you could try using that as a rebid area. Don't blame me if you get one there though. :)

If you don't want to stay Downtown i would NOT use it as a re-bid zone.

Given your back-up, how much are you willing to bid for a 4*? for a 3*?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

No worries on bidding downtown. I've done a weekend down there before for a wedding :) . That was enough.

This afternoon I made a direct reservation at Wingate by Wyndham Manhattan Midtown for $224.99 + taxes. (I understand it can be noisy on the front, especially the lower floors.) Rate includes Internet and breakfast. Seems pretty reasonable.

I plan to take another run at 4*s tomorrow for the heck of it. I'm not planning to go over $225, and considering it a long shot.

This has been a bit more work than I have ever experienced with bidding. I'm wondering if my single night requirement on a holiday weekend disqualified me? Some of the properties I looked at directly were asking for a 2-night minimum.

- Paul

Thanks for that info. I suspected that there would be some last minute deals.

I ended up going with the Wingate by Wyndham at 350 W 35th for $225. I was very satisfied with the hotel. Many online reviewers complained about noise, but I had a front room on the 15th floor and did not get back into my room until ~4 am. Noise was not issue : )

I highly recommend this hotel. Staff was great, rooms were large, clean and modern. Free wi/fi and wired Internet, and free breakfast (missed that). - Paul

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]