Using Trip Advisor to help identify Hotwire

twasnow
By twasnow,
in

I just thought I would throw my little tip in here, wasn't sure where to put it so here it is. Before I even found betterbidding.com, I would often check out the number of reviews and the tripadvisor traveler rating. Very often there was only one hotel, that matched, in fact I have bumped in to two that could both fit the trip advisor rating and number of reviews, although I am sure such a thing exists. Ever since I found betterbidding my life got a lot easier, now I can very easily narrow any of my trip advisor searches to a few hotels (normally under 5) thanks to those wonderful betterbidding.com HOTWIRE hotel lists. Example currently there is a Las Vegas 3.5* center strip listing on hotwire, thanks to Betterbidding.com I am pretty sure it will be planet hollywood, Bally's, or Flamingo. Now I check out the tripadvisor traveler rating and number of reviews 3.5 circles and 1560+ searching for the three hotels I find PH with 1492 reviews 3.5 circles, Flamingo with 1570 3.5 circles, and bally's 3.5 915. This makes me pretty sure I am looking at the flamingo on HOTWIRE.com. Any objections to this tactic? It has always worked for me, so I just thought I would share.

I guess my suggestion is that people post the trip advisor results in here once they win as well, because the amenities are often the same the number of reviews could really set two properties apart.

Just thought I would post another example

hotwire search for downtown toronto, there is a 4.5 star downtown west

trip advisor 120+ 3.5circles

I go on tripadvisor 3 hotels match this.

Le Meridien King Edward

InterContinental Toronto Centre

The Strathcona Hotel.

look at amenities strathcona does not have a spa so stroke it off the list.

Get a map of both Le Meridien King Edward and InterContinental Toronto Centre and only the InterContinental Toronto Centre is in the right area.

I'd put money on that being the hotel, incidentally 153 per night is bloody cheap for a hotel in that location, never mind a 4.5-5*.

(for this one I didn't use the list on this site)

I guess my suggestion is that people post the trip advisor results in here once they win as well, because the amenities are often the same the number of reviews could really set two properties apart.

good in theory but what happens in 6 months or so when the number of reviews and/or the rating changes?

• 3 weeks later...

I also do this with hotwire. Sometimes it will say 150+ reviews last review July 2008, or something like that. Then you can match them with the trip advisor.

I do this when two hotels with have the same features. I've never purchased on HOTWIRE. I just use it for a reference for PRICELINE.

QED

Please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links when you are ready to book.

First I want to say this is a great site!

When I use Priceline I always come here first, then I go to Trip Advisor. I notice you have links next to some of the hotels for Trip Advisor reviews. I always try to choose a star category or area with the best group of trip advisor reviews so I don't get a dud. It would be so nice if you had trip advisor star rating on the Hotwire/Priceline lists. This would be great cause then I would only have to go to one website! I don't know how involved something like that is, I suppose you would need permission from Trip Advisor. Also it would nice to be able to see winning bids for specific hotel by day of week. Like on the map feature or next to the topic post.

Again great site and I'll always use it no matter what!

QED

Please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links when you are ready to book.

Showing the TripAdvisor ratings in the hotel list won't be possible as it would have to be done manually, and as dahammer points out above, it would be nearly impossible to keep up with as the ratings, number of reviews, and date of last review change.

In regards to the days of the week, see if the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins can provide you the information you want.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]