Priceline Hotel: Problems with San Francisco... help appreciated

mikesierra
By mikesierra,
in

Hello!

For days I've been bidding on a 4-star hotel in San Francisco. All regions would be fine, besides SFO and San Mateo.

Checking this forum I found out that there shouldn't be a problem to get a 4 star hotel for round about 100 dollar. However, meanwhile my bids went up to 125 dollar without success. Even splitting the two days wasn't helping.

Is it still to early? Or is there something special going on in San Fancisco these two days?

I'd be glad about all your suggestions...

It could be a combination of both bidding too early and/or SF is busy during your travel dates. Historically, October is a busy convention month in SF and I recall from years past people having trouble getting accepted bids this far out at "normal" Priceline rates.

The $85-$100 rates people have been posting the past few weeks are mostly for bids made within about two weeks (or less) before their travel dates. This is simply a case of hotels not releasing inventory, and/or lowering their PRICELINE rates until much closer to the travel date. In other words, liquiding unsold space at the last minute. With that theory in mind, it's too early for hotels to "resort" to having to liquidate rooms two months away from now at cheap prices. They're hoping to get rack rate for their rooms and are "holding out" for late October.

Don't be discouraged or confused why you're not successfull with two months still to go. It's going to take some patience!

It's easier to be patient if you book a cancellable back-up reservation... this also protects you from rates rising (while you continue to watch and hope they drop)

Use our BetterChecker to assist in your rate search... Quickbook and the hotel websites are good sources for refundable reservations.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the Nike Women's Marathon takes place in San Francisco on 10/19/2008 and this event is attended by thousands of women from around the country. I have been in San Francisco on this week-end the past two years and the event planners reserve so many hotels it is hard to get a room at a good rate. I don't know if this effects the dates you want.

Newbie here. I'm trying the same thing for a friend who is visiting the week of 9/22 - which is during Oracle World at Moscone. The average $259 hotel room is going for well over $500.00. This is for both hotels within SF and those near the airport in Millbrae or Burlingame.

I'm hoping to try the week before to see if there are any unsold rooms they were holding at convention inflated rates. For those of you in the know, would this be more HOTWIRE than PRICELINE?

HOTWIRE may help give you an idea what is available, as the same hotels may also be available on PRICELINE. But maybe not.

The Nike Marathon last year was a much bigger event that I expected. I tried bidding up until the Tuesday before, but I was arriving on Thursday and had a regular reservation with a two-day cancellation policy. ($89 at the Hotel Adante) For our last night (Sunday), we got a $100 room at the Stanford Court through Priceline but that was the best we could do. It may be a tough one this year as well.

Get a reservation you can cancel (if necessary), then keep bidding 'til the last moment possible. That's my advice.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]