Priceline Hotel: 3* San Diego (Coastal) The Dana on Mission Bay

sunnysd
By sunnysd,
in

My husband and I are hoping to get a nice hotel (preferably 4*) in San Diego for around $100 (Sun-Fri) 9/7-9/12/08. I tried bidding via the betterbidding PRICELINE link. Here's my history:

1st Bid: 4*/$85/Coronado, Downtown, San Diego Coastal = rejected

2nd Bid: 4*/$90/Coronado, Downtown, SD Coastal, East County = rejected

3rd Bid: 4*/$95/Coronado, DOwntown, SD Coastal, East County, National City = rejected

4th Bid: 4*/$100/Coronado, DOwntown, SD Coastal, East County, National City, Del Mar = rejected

5th Bid: 4*/$105/Coronado, DOwntown, SD Coastal, East County, National City, Del Mar, San Ysidro = rejected

My question is.. is there hope of getting an accepted bid if I wait a few days? How high do you think I'll have to go? We didn't want to spend more than $100/night. There's also a 3.5-star on hotwire for $92/night. Should we take that? I think it's the Crowne Plaza in Mission Valley. Just want to get your opinions.

Thanks for your help!

My question is.. is there hope of getting an accepted bid if I wait a few days? How high do you think I'll have to go? We didn't want to spend more than $100/night.

You bid to $105, not $100, so it seems like $105 is your limit.

We never see $105 accepted in Coronado so you probably won't get anything on Coronado even if you wait. (It might not cost much more than $105 though...maybe $110-130.)

You might well get a 4* Downtown for $105 or less, but I can't say it will happen in a few days....your dates are almost two months away and a lot of hotels don't give PRICELINE rooms this far in advance. You could keep bidding to $105 for a 4* once a week or so now. I think it's worth holding out awhile for a 4* Downtown rather than going to a zone you prefer less, like Mission Valley.

The 3.5* is in Mission Valley. It says the only amenities are a fitness center, restaurant and business center. The tripadvisor info seems to match Crowne Plaza the closest out of all the hotels on the Hotwire hotels list, but I know Crowne Plaza has a pool. I can't imagine a 3.5* in San Diego not having a pool. Could that be a mistake?

I don't think splitting our bid would be an option for us.

Yeah I didn't think I'd get Coronado, but why not try right? I retried at $100 and it didn't get accepted. I think I'll wait and retry $100 again next week. Thanks!

As I mentioned in my post, I did use the PRICELINE link - thanks.

The 3.5* HOTWIRE hotel is a match for the Crowne Plaza so that would be our best guess. Not all hotels show all the amenities they offer... they only have to have the amenities that are shown. Best example is that not every hotel shows a Hi-Speed Internet icon... yet it's pretty rare that a hotel doesn't offer this amenity these days.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Since I know we'll have to pay $20/day for parking, I do not want to go above $100-irregardless of my first bid.

I rebid again (using the PRICELINE link) to see if anything opened up with no luck. How far out should I be when I try again? Less than a month away?

Here's my rebid:

1st Bid: 4*/$82/Downtown, San Diego Coastal = rejected

2nd Bid: 4*/$92/Coronado, Downtown, SD Coastal = rejected

3rd Bid: 4*/$100/Coronado, DOwntown, SD Coastal, East County = rejected

Thanks!

I would be trying every 3-4 days.

At the 4* level you do have a LOT of re-bid zones in this area, is there a reason you're not using them and bidding more systematically? Do you need help with a better strategy (not that it woul have made a difference on your previous bids since rejected up to your limit, but it will prevent you from having an overbid in the future)

Thanks for using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Keep us updated and let us know if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

After many failed attempts to get a 4* hotel, I've decided to drop to a 3* hotel.

My question is: I was going to search in the San Diego Coastal area and the Mission Valley area, but I'm afraid of getting the Holiday Inn in Mission Valley. I've noticed that others who've bid for Mission Valley lately have not gotten this hotel so I'm wondering if it's not on priceline or hotwire anymore? Does anyone know if that is the case?

Since the Coastal zone is also acceptable to you why don't you just bid there and not in Mission Valley? Unless the Holiday Inn is sold out for your dates it could come up on a Mission Valley bid even if it hasn't been reported in a while. Or look for a Mission Valley hotel on HOTWIRE, where usually you can identify what you're purchasing in advance.

this hotel is available on the PRICELINE "Shop and Compare" site so its possible that it would be available on the "Name Your Own Price" site. What are the direct rates for this hotel for your dates of travel?

Direct rates are $138.20 per night. Bummer - I was hoping it wasn't available, but I guess it's still on priceline. Thanks!

Since the Coastal zone is also acceptable to you why don't you just bid there and not in Mission Valley? Unless the Holiday Inn is sold out for your dates it could come up on a Mission Valley bid even if it hasn't been reported in a while. Or look for a Mission Valley hotel on HOTWIRE, where usually you can identify what you're purchasing in advance.

In the past, I've found better deals in the Mission Valley area.. that's why I like to bid there, but it's not worth the risk of getting the Holiday Inn. I've stayed there before and I really don't like that hotel. I did look on hotwire and the Crowne Plaza is available for $89/night but I was hoping to get a better deal than that for a 3-star. I'll try SD Coastal and see what happens. I can always take the hotwire deal if need be. Thanks!

Just won a 5 night stay from 9/6/08 - 9/11/08 at The Dana on Mission Bay using the betterbidding PRICELINE link.

This was my bidding strategy:

Bid 1: $50/night - San Diego Coastal = rejected

Bid 2: $55/night - SD Coastal, Downtown = rejected

Bid 3: $60/night - SD Coastal, Downtown, Coronado = rejected

Bid 4: $65/night - SD Coastal, Downtown, Coronado, free rebid zone (East Cty) = rejected

Bid 5: $70/night - SD Coastal, Downtown, Coronado, free rebid zones (East Cty, San Ysidro) = rejected

Bid 6: $75/night - SD Coastal, Downtown, Coronado, free rebid zone (East Cty, San Ysidro, Sorrento Valley) = accepted!!

Regular price thru the hotel website for this stay is $128.60/night.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]