Priceline Hotel: 3* Chelsea

cookofthehouse
By cookofthehouse,
in

I have need to bid for a hotel in the Chelsea area for the first weekend in Oct. A core group of us have rented an apartment for the stay, but more people keep wanting to join, so I'm trying to find a hotel not too far away.

I've been all over gathering info. It seems that I can bid Chelsea for 3* with rebids in Long Island City, Upper East and Upper West. Also, the only 3* listed in the Chelsea listing here is Four Points Sheraton. That location wouldn't be too shabby at all.

What I haven't been able to find is any winning bids for the area. Does no one purposely try to stay in this area? :) With so few rebid areas, I wanted my first bid to be smart.

Also, with no winning bids posted, how do we feel about the completeness of our Chelsea hotel listing here?

Thanks for any help!

Yes, you have your re-bid zones correct (but also doublecheck just before bidding!) The hotel lists are accurate and updated with any new information reported to the board. This is a fairly new zone (recently sub-divided from the former, larger, MTS zone which was not bid too frequently)... but likewise, there just aren't too many hotels in this area.

What is the location of the apartment rental?

What are the actual dates of the stay and what is your maximum bid? How many people/rooms do you need?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The fact that it's a new zone helps explain why there aren't any wins posted here.

I'd need Oct 1 - 5. The apartment is in the East Village, 10th & 1st Ave. Four Points looks to be about a mile and a half away.

Basically, we've rented a 3 bdr, 2 loft, 2 bath apartment, and are heading towards a guest list 14 people long rather than the original 6 to 8. We're all for roughing it for a good time, but no one wants to sleep on a floor for 4 nights.

I'm thinking max bid should be $200, $150 if we can get away with it.

ETA: Do hotels lower their acceptable bid price for multiple room reservations?

You may actaully be better with other areas than (or in addition to Chelsea). Unfortunately the area around 10th St and 1st Ave is not covered well by the subway (it's close to the L line which will take you crosstown to get another subway line which will more likely take you were you want to go)

I don't see too many options within your budget, so it may be best to include as many zones as possible which are acceptable to increase your chances. Although a hotel in the MTE zone may be further away distance wise, it may actually be just as easy to get to based upon nearby transportation options (for example, taking the M15 bus up/down 1st and 2nd ave rather than trying to cut across town)

So that i understand the situation correctly... the original group will be staying at the apartment rental and the 'others' need a place? How many people need hotel rooms? (and how many rooms are needed)

Do you see the group heading back to the hotel/apartment throughout the day or more likely leaving in the a.m. and not returning until the nite to go to sleep? Will there be late nites (1am-4am) or more likely will things be winding down by midnite in order to be rested for the next day's activities? (yeah, there's a reason i'm asking)

Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option for those staying in the hotel?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You may actaully be better with other areas than (or in addition to Chelsea). Unfortunately the area around 10th St and 1st Ave is not covered well by the subway (it's close to the L line which will take you crosstown to get another subway line which will more likely take you were you want to go)

Distance to the subway was almost a breaking point in renting the place. But finding a place with 2 bathrooms for $300/night was hard to pass up. We've stayed upper east before in a vacation-home-rental and walked 3 blocks to the subway. So we'll deal.

So that i understand the situation correctly... the original group will be staying at the apartment rental and the 'others' need a place? How many people need hotel rooms? (and how many rooms are needed)

On the nosey. We have 9 of us paid and committed. We have up to 5 speculating. If all come through that would be 2 rooms. (we girls are chummy and don't mind sharing)

Do you see the group heading back to the hotel/apartment throughout the day or more likely leaving in the a.m. and not returning until the nite to go to sleep? Will there be late nites (1am-4am) or more likely will things be winding down by midnite in order to be rested for the next day's activities? (yeah, there's a reason i'm asking)

Just to share: this started as a birthday get together and has blossomed into a wedding. Hence the added interest. So, there's going to be birthday, celebrating, wedding, celebrating, a little sight seeing, and some celebrating. This is a close the bar down crowd. This is also a fashion conscious crowd, so there'll be costume changes (and probably cocktail priming) in the early evenings.

Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option for those staying in the hotel?

Trying to think like them, I'd put this between no and absolutely not.

I always do :)

In the hours since, I've hotel mapquested the address and found a couple of places that may do. We're really looking for beds for these people; any activity will be taking place at the apartment or on the town. St Marks Hotel has great reviews around the internet, and a 2-bed room goes for $170. Bonus - it's only 4 blocks away.

Do you think given the complexity of our set up, our budget, and location this might be a better plan?

Appreciating the input as always. :)

As an aside, are you sure that the apartment you're renting is legitimate? There are a lot of scams out there for NYC vacation apartments and $300 a night for a 3BR/2Bath apartment seems quite low since October is one of the more expensive times of the year.

Hopefully you didn't book it thru Craigslist or pay the full amount up front. Those are some other warning signs.

I guess that's always a risk. We paid half down with the second half paid on arrival. I think it's cheaper because she actually lives there and just does this to make extra money when she's gone. And her cat stays while you're there, so you have to be willing to have a cat sleeping with you. :)

I also grabbed her info from her replies and found her place of business. Follow up emails with comments about her schedule all match up with that. So I'm feeling pretty comfortable.

I"m not familiar with this property, but i know the area, and looking as their website it may suit your needs, but it's not a 3* property... notice deposit must be made by money order(?!?!), no elevator and building is a walk-up, and pics of the rooms are very small. Again, it's cheap and may serve your purpose, but it's not a place i'd be recommending as a 'deal'.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]