Priceline Hotel: 2* Newark (Meadowlands - Rutherford) Wellesley Inn

charmdream
By charmdream,
in

It doesn't currently look good... rates are high for your dates and availability is very tight. Do you need to be in Jersey City or were you looking for a less expensive alternative to Manhattan?

How high are you willing to bid for the JC area and/or are you willing to try for a 2.5* (which would in all likelihood by the Courtyard by Marriott).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes. I am planning to visit Manhanttan and would like to look for a hotel in NJ side. :-) I just looked around this forum anf found Hyatt@$37 was a very good choice. If I change to 2.5*(and at the same price?) as you said, I may get the Courtyard? How about the location of Courtyard? Is it conveinient to go to Manhanttan?

Thanks

The Hyatt is the 'low acceptor' in the area, so if successful at the 2.5* level it will (likely) cost you more than $37. The 2.5* Courtyard, as well as the 3* DoubleTree, are both near transportation to NYC.

I asked how much you would be willing to pay because as the Jersey City area gets more expensive, it becomes less of a 'great deal' and staying in Manhattan becomes a better option.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At given prices, i'm doubtful you'll be successful in the Jersey City or the NYC area at under $50. The next 'level' that i think you have a chance at is around the $65 area, but if you choose to do that let us know and we'll offer a bidding strategy to get you there (you'll also need to let us know the last time you bid and were rejected for a 3* in Jersey City)

Manhattan is indeed more expensive than the Jersey City area, but the point i was trying to make was that if Jersey City is commanding a bid around $70, it may be better off looking to see if NYC is available near $100. Although the two areas are somewhat close to each other, deamand in one zone isn't always indicative of demand in the other zone.

If you're not successful under $50 in either zone, what would your gameplan be?

Yes... hopefully it should be fairly easy to get a hotel in the Secaucus or Meadowlands area for under $50... but a quick check of prices show them higher than usual. :)

When was the last time you bid Jersey City and did you only bid for 3*? (this will let us know when your 72 hours are up)

We'll then recommend a strategy to follow (if you so desire) for all the zones you're looking at.

I would then bid immediately (rather than wait 68 hours to bid again). As well, by bidding immediately you can bid again 72 hours from now.

This is how i would proceed:

Select 2.5* Jersey City and bid $50.

If rejected, close that browser and go back to Priceline by whatever means you did earlier...

Select 3* Secaucus and bid $40, if rejected....

Add Jersey City and bid $45.

If rejected, close that browser and go back to Priceline by whatever means you did earlier...

Select 3* Meadowlands and bid $40, if rejected....

Add Jersey City and bid $45, if rejected...

Add Secaucus and bid $50.

If rejected on the above post back and we'll advise of an approach to start including 2.5* hotels in the Secaucus and/or Meadowlands area.

Any questions feel free to ask.

The Jersey City Candlewood Suites is showing a rate of $98 for the dates of your stay on their website. As you can see, the reviews are quite good. Although I've never stayed there myself, having stayed at the Hyatt, DoubleTree and Courtyard in Jersey City, I suspect only the Hyatt is better.

If it were me, particularly given that low rate, I would nix 2.5* and drop down to 2* Jersey City at $50 - but then I do tend to be a little off beat :) (If you aren't in a hurry and would like to try to save a little more$$, you might even want to try 2* at $45 and try again at $50 in 72 hours if unsuccessful.)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, got this:

Wellesley Inn Clifton 2-Star

Remote control TV w/ premium channels Telephone w/ messaging Radio Alarm Clock

Check-In Date: Thursday, July 15, 2004

Check-Out Date: Saturday, July 17, 2004

Your Offer Price: $55.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Subtotal: $110.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $23.05

Total Charges: $133.05

Looks like my stay time is very hot. :-(

And I am trying to bid 7/19 and 7/20 two nights.

Glad to see you at least have a roof over your head.

I believe this is in the Meadowlands/Rutherford area but if could confirm that would be great.

Can you list the most recent failed bid attempts in each zone?

Also, if you'd like some help for the balance of your stay please post that as a separate topic so that we can accurately reflect the name of each hotel won in the titles of the thread.

THANKS!

Yes, it's Meadowlands/Rutherford area.

I couldnot remember what exactly I had bid. It might like this:

- 3* $50 at Secaucus failed

- add Meadowlands, $55, failed

- add 2.5*, $55, failed

- add 2*, $55, got Wellesley Inn Clifton

(I decided to give up Jersey City, partly because of parking problem)

Thanks for the help.

• 3 weeks later...

Although not bidding related, this does affect the overall value of the bid.

During a recent stay in Jersey City we visited the three primary hotels

offerred on Priceline: the Hyatt, the DoubleTree Club Suites, and the

Candlewood Suites. The Double tree charges $10.00 per day for parking, the Hyatt is $30.00 valet but may be had cheaper at a nearby selfpark lot

with validation from the Hyat for $18.00 per day, and the Candlewood Suites which has a fenced parking lot. When I asked at the front desk if they still only charge $10.00 per day for parking if you check out of the Candlewood and spend a couple of days in Manhatten the desk clerk was surprised and said that to her knowledge her hotel had NEVER charged for parking. And, that after staying a couple of nights it would be fine to leave the car in their lot while spending a couple of nights in the city... Something to keep in mind if you drive to JC.

Regards, Keoni

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]