Priceline Hotel: 4* Seattle (Downtown) Westin

Rimo
By Rimo,
in

Hi all,

Hope you had a good weekend. I read my tail off this weekend and took the plunge to bid for the above dates for a 4 * in Bellevue. At $120 it was a no go. Arts Festival in Bellevue so may give up pursing further. Says I can not bid for 72 hrs... :)

So here are some details for your invaluable advice... I am planning on renting a car since we are visiting family in Portland 7/22-7/26. In and out from Seatac. My wife has limited mobility so I think a car just makes sense even if I have to drop off and find parking away from where we are going. She has a scooter so that increases our range. Also have 15 year old son. First time in Seattle from St. Louis (home of the late American Brewer) .. trying to make the most of our vacation dollars

I think my best bet might be (2.5 *) Lake Union Residence Inn or Silver Cloud Inn. There is a Marriott which did not get great reviews and they charge for parking which I want to avoid, increasing my bidding dollars from a DT hotel. Price point I think would be around 130 tops. Any thoughts on where I should start my first bid. Also, on the bidding, can i have my wife bid earlier than 72 hrs. My wife is all but in a tirate saying I should gotten on this earlier... oops...

Any advice .... is VERY WELCOME.... sorry for the long post...

P.S. Should I also bid for a car ... just thought of that?

Hi,

I bid and won a compact car from Hertz for $11 (for September) - I felt like that was a good deal! Not sure what size car you are looking for, but could be worth bidding.

Also, about having your wife bid- I have had my partner bid when my bids failed, but from a different computer -- and it has worked for us.

Good luck - and happy travels!

Welcome to BetterBidding, Rimo.

I'm having trouble understanding your itinerary and what you're looking for. Is this correct: You're flying into Seattle on 7/22 and immediately driving to Portland from 7/22-7/26? You need a vehicle that will accomodate your wife's scooter, but you don't need a vehicle for the four days you're in Portland? Then you'll need a vehicle again to drive back to Seattle on 7/26 and for your four nights in Seattle area, 7/26-7/30?

And regarding your hotels:

You've bid to $120 for a 4* in Bellevue. Now you say you want a 2.5* in Lake Union zone but don't want to pay for parking. The Residence Inn is the hotel that comes up in Lake Union most often and they charge $19/night parking. Do you still want to bid there? Almost any Downtown or Lake Union hotel will charge for parking.

Do you want to try for a 3* in Bellevue? Or do you want to be in Downtown/Lake Union area, even if you have to pay to park?

Also the lockout period before you can bid again is 24 hours, not 72 hours.

Sorry, if I confused you. My main objective now is to find a good hotel and a decent price. Bellevue started to clim at $120 but then it was a 4*. I will have a car the whole time. Avoiding parking charges is a secondary matter as I am sure with a lil walking I cen beat hotel charges at lelast in Lake Union. So to start yes I want to buid in Lake Union with the Residence and St. Cloud as my hopeful targets. Seems I might get more ofr my money there... if not I will try Bellvue since prkg DT was in some cases $20 -$30. Figure I'd rather apply to a higher rate. I will try to bid as early today as posible Thanks .. and yes you did get most my itenary correct excpet that turning the car in at Portland ensd up costing me just as much to avoid the cost while i am there as if I had it for the whole week.

Thx for your patience... when bidding for a car, do I use a link on this board? Checking rates I see up to $80 in addtl fees when picking up at airport... the offsite rate runs $100 cheaper (Bellevue) less cab ride to get there .. so my question ... would you suggest I just shoot for low rate bid at airport right now at 32.18 per day plus the addt'l airport fees of $63 ....

Before I address your specific Lake Union hotel question I want to look at the "big picture".

By any chance are you flying from St Louis to Seattle on Southwest? I ask because Dollar allows one way rentals between Portland and Seattle with no drop charge. At least that's been their policy in the past, as recently as a few months ago. I haven't verified that's still true today.

If you haven't already purchased your plane tickets (I'm guessing you have though), or if you have Southweest tickets that allow changes without a fee, what about flying to Portland instead of Seattle, renting a car from Dollar in Portland (or some other company that doesn't have a drop fee) and returning the car in Seattle?

You said that you won't need a car while you're in Portland, right? The plan I'm suggesting would save you four days of unnecessary car rental fees in Portland and elminate a one-way drive from Seattle to Portland on 7/22.

I realize it's probably too late for this but the potential savings to you are large so I thought I'd mention it as a possibility. If your plane tickets are already fixed and unchangeable then we'll work with things as they are.

when bidding for a car, do I use a link on this board?
YES! See my signature there are links to each of PRICELINE's services, as well as a link to HOTWIRE, and if you end up booking direct there is a category with car rental links in our support page.

Please keep seprate threads for your hotel and car rental bids... use this thread (in the hotel forum) for your hotel stay and start a NEW TOPIC in the Priceline Car Rental section of the board for your car rental.

So for your Seattel hotel stay you want to start by bidding for Lake Union only? What is your maximum bid and minimum star level? (and confirm the dates are 7/26-7/30)

One other thought... why not return the rental car on 7/26 at the Seattle airport and then stay downtown for the Seattle leg of your trip? (unless you think you'll need a car to get out of the city)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Regarding your hotel:

Unfortunately you're visiting Seattle on some expensive dates with tight availability.

The Lake Union Residence Inn is $299 for your dates, which is extremely high, and all the other Residence Inns in Seattle are showing sold out. I thought the problem might be your first night, a Saturday night. After eliminating Saturday the ResInn is still $299 though.

With rates that high I think this might take $150 or more on Priceline, and it's possible the ResInn isn't available on Priceline at any rate.

Hotwire has a 3* in Lake Union South zone for $173, probably the Silver Cloud Inn.

If you're willing to spend that much for Lake Union I'd suggest trying $125 for a 2.5* on Priceline. Then add Everett (your only free rebid zone for 2.5* bidding) at $150.

If you don't want to spend that much then you'll need to consider some alternatives....like 2.5* or 2* Downtown, or more outlying zones like the Airport or Bellevue.

Thank you both ... yes our airline tickest are purchased (American) and we are good to go there... actually to your point of th whole picture - that is precisely where I should have started as we did save by flying in and out of Seattle but created a new set of issues in doing so.

I will call around to see if there are any rental companies that do not charge a drop off. Assumed all did so never checked. I will not need a car in PDX that is correct sis said they have a loaner for us. Even thought of asking her to pick us up, but figure $80 in gas would not make sense.

The some of the reasons for keeping the car is Boeing/ St. Michelle winery and getting my wife as close to the places we are going. Not knowing the terrain and accesiblilty with a scooter we may find it a bit challenging.

Dates for bid are 7/26 - 7/30 that is correct. Lake Union seems to make the most sense.. 3* or 2.5 * which is what I think they have max I think would still be $130. Silver Cloud I just called has 199 no view 2 qn or 219 2 qn with view. She said they had plenty of rooms. the Silver Cloud University has 2 q at 159 or suite 189 (AAA discount). They have 15rms left at $159 and 8 at $189. Free parking too.

I have not had time to call Residence Inn or Marriott and thinking I just can't afford DT at 3* ... getting nervous for procrastinating as much as I have ....

A couple more alternatives:

Checking for three adults (which guarantees you two beds, which you need) HOTWIRE has a 2.5* in Pike Place zone on 7/26-7/30 for $122. That appears to be the Sixth Avenue Inn. For other dates $122 for Sixth Avenue Inn wouldn't be much of a deal, but for your particular dates this is relatively good. Consider Sixth Avenue if being in the heart of Downtown is most important to you.

The Sixth Avenue Inn has a more central location than most of the other "budget" hotels Downtown, a block from the Westin, and parking at Sixth Avenue Inn is significantly less than at the Downtown 3*'s.

Silver Cloud Inn University at $159 with two beds and free parking doesn't sound bad either, relatively speaking.

Or if it was possible to get a nicer hotel than Sixth Avenue Inn at the Airport or Bellevue for much less money...say $50-75ish....would you prefer that?

I'll be away the rest of the day. Maybe WillTravel or tilepusher will see this thread and have some other suggestions. (And of course we're happy to get suggestions from ANYONE.)

If you buy the Sixth Avenue Inn, please use this HOTWIRE link.

Doublecheck this... but if you're looking to go to Chateau St Michelle (i also recommend Red Hook Brewery across the street... the give a very good tour and the 'pub' there has decent food) why not stay in Redmond? I'm pretty sure that's where we stayed when we had a party in that area and the winery was only about 15 minutes away.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

To confirm you're looking at 7/26-7/30?

I think you have a chance at a 4* hotel Downtown for ~$130 or so... would you want to try for a 4* hotel first? If so, what would be your maximum bid for a 4* property?

Also, before bidding, i'd look at the Redmond area, for if that is acceptable, you may abe able to get a hotel there for less than $130 and have free parking as well.

Let us know which zone(s) you want to bid on next and we'll advise accordingly.

Yes, 7/26 - 7/30. I am not opposed to DT except for the $20-30 parking fee which pushes me to $150. That said I think I'd at this point want to do Redmond, but do not see that as a zone in the 10 listed. So what would be the strategy for Redmond? Actually, if you think that I could find a public lot for a reasonable amount then DT is back on ???? I don't mind walking... or running like a valet ..lol

The zone is "Bellevue-Redmond" (which you apparently have already bid for a 4* in this zone)... have you tried lower star ratings in this zone? (and can be a tough win with the Arts Festival that you mentioned)

Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option? (i see a BIG price jump between some of your dates for two hotels i checked in Redmond)

I'd recommend taking a step backwards...

You've been rejected for a 2.5* property at $135 (and let's for the moment assume free parking). Compare this a 4* hotel at $130 + $20 parking (i'm not sure how much parking is but using your figure above).

So is a 2.5* hotel at $135 on the outskirts of the city a better deal than a $150 (including parking based upon your figure above) 4* hotel? I'm sure everyone is different, but as i'd assume most of your time would be spent Downtown, it would seem that the extra $15 per nite would be worth it for the higher star rating and location.

Just seems to me that you've already bidding a LOT for a 2.5* property for when just a bit more you can get a 4* with a better location.

Thoughts?

PS- while splitting could be a 'hassle' i do think the savings would be significant ($100?)

OK I feel I need to bid on something soon otherwise I'll end up sleeping in my car... LOL Your comparison does make sense 2** vs 4** for what could be a small difference. I think the split is out even considering the savings as I have been voted out. That said a new priority has emerged.. space.. size of room that is so our current thought is to now bid for a 3* in the Bellvue area although I am concerned getting stuck at the Coast Bellevue Hotel which seems oddly priced at $146 .. not the best reviews on Tripadvisor.. I have over analyzed and feel it now might even be risky to go for 3* in Bellvue. So what do you recommend for DT... my wife plans to bid from work and I will do the same so a suggested stretegy for DT considering re-bid s would be great... needless to say I won't be a last minute shopper in a tight market. But then again as mentioned elsewhere hotels may release inventory as the day draws near ... My wife did find the Courtyard in Kirkland for $149 which she is saying we should just book and get it over with ... if she only knew... Gracias

What you've tried without success:

4* Bellevue at $120

2.5* Lake Union at $135

What you haven't tried yet:

4* Downtown

3* Downtown

3* Bellevue-Redmond

2.5* Bellevue-Redmond

If the Courtyard in Kirkland is $149 you can probably win a 2.5* in B-R zone for less than $100, although it might not be the Courtyard Kirkland.

Please indicate which options you'd like to try, in what order, and how high your limit is for each option. Then someone can suggest a strategy.

my wife plans to bid from work
Please ask her to come here first and click our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin any bidding/purchases she makes on her end.
Please indicate which options you'd like to try, in what order, and how high your limit is for each option. Then someone can suggest a strategy.

OK so at the risk of getting stuck in at not so nice hotel and at the prices this is heading, lets try DT. Is $150 even a remote possibility for 4* DT? and not to throw another monkey wrench, but would switching to Seattle 7/22 - 7/26 and then heading to Portland make a difference?

I don't think the change in dates helps you at all (at least not at the 4* level Downtown)

Is $150 even a remote possibility for 4* DT?
To confirm, this would be before taxes, fees, and parking? If so, not only do i think it's possible, but i would say it's likely. Please confirm this maximum bid price and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

PS- as an FYI, the Sheraton and Westin are frequently won hotels in this zone, and each charges $38/nite for parking (includes in/out privledges) although you may be able to find cheaper parking in the area separate from the hotel... but just wanted to make sure you had as much info as possible to make an informed decision

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]