Priceline Hotel: 2* Downtown Seattle July 22nd-July 25th

The Reviewer
By The Reviewer,
in

First of all I am shocked you people are getting 4*'s for 90 bucks I just got denied 90 dollars for 3*'s downtown for the day after some of you got the Sheraton.

Anyway, when I look at the Hotels for the 2* for "downtown Seattle" I get 3 hotels (Nexus and a couple of others) that are above 105th street. About 9 miles away from Downtown Seattle, and in my opinion and according to Pricelines own maps, not in Downtown Seattle. Is there anything I can do about this or can I just not bid on 2* hotels? I am not renting a car so 9 miles is not an option at all.

The zones in Priceline's retail service are not the same as the zones Priceline uses for its Name Your Own Price service. Look at the Downtown Seattle zone on the map Priceline gives you when you bid, and determine whether you're willing to accept any hotel in that area. Priceline rates for hotel rooms vary from day to day, just as they do when you purchase them any other way.

If you need bidding assistance for your stay in Seattle, please give us the dates you'll be staying and the maximum amount that you're willing to bid, and we'll help you out as best we can.

The zones in Priceline's retail service are not the same as the zones Priceline uses for its Name Your Own Price service.
Furhter discusion of this in our PRICELINE FAQ.
please give us the dates you'll be staying and the maximum amount that you're willing to bid
hard to comment without knowing the date(s) of your stay, but there was a recent warning on the board regarding bidding too low of a star rating in this zone.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I will be staying July 22nd-July 25th and we will accept 2* hotels.

So you are saying that even though 3 hotels when I do my original search that are above 105th street, and say in the linkable description "Downtown Seattle" for a 2 star hotel that these hotels will not be used when I use name my own price because the map is different?

The prime example I am using is Hotel Nexus. When you originally search for hotels and look at 2 stars and look at the map you will see Hotel Nexus is way up north. I beileve it is on 105th street.

Recent attempts that failed. 3* downtown Seattle at 90, 93, 96 and 99 for July 22nd-July 25th, using free zones. I would like to attempt 2* at 50 and go up from there, but am afraid of getting hotels in wrong area.

I will try again starting today with 2*. Any other tips, thank you. I will of course use your links, saving me 50 bucks a night would help me a lot!

So you are saying that even though 3 hotels when I do my original search that are above 105th street, and say in the linkable description "Downtown Seattle" for a 2 star hotel that these hotels will not be used when I use name my own price because the map is different?
I'm saying that the zones are labeled differently (the easiest way to see this is that the "Name Your Own Price" section of PRICELINE has 10 zones which make up the Seattle area... the "retail" version only has 5... so obviously the names of the zones are different and so are the boundaries)... so you need to be careful when bidding of looking at the Name Your Own Price map of the zone(s) you're bidding and know that your hotel can be anywhere within the shaded boundary of the name your own price map.

As well, if you do a "retail" PRICELINE search and then click the "Name Your Own Price" button in the top left corner of the grid (which shows zones and prices) you'll get the following message on the subsequent page:

Please note: The hotel we find may or may not be one that you saw on the previous page(s).
The prime example I am using is Hotel Nexus. When you originally search for hotels and look at 2 stars and look at the map you will see Hotel Nexus is way up north. I beileve it is on 105th street.
To use this as an example and hopefully come 'full circle' with the info above, in PRICELINE's "retail" product this is listed as a 'Downtown' hotel, but in the "name your own price" product it appears to be in the "University of Washington-Northgate" zone... for which there is no such zone in PRICELINE's retail product.
I would like to attempt 2* at 50 and go up from there, but am afraid of getting hotels in wrong area.
Look at PRICELINE's NAME YOUR OWN PRICE downtown map boundaries... are you comfortable with a hotel in any part of that zone's boundaries? If so then you should be fine.
I will try again starting today with 2*. Any other tips, thank you. I will of course use your links, saving me 50 bucks a night would help me a lot!
What is your maximum bid for a 2* hotel in the Downtown zone? Since it appears you have only bid for 3* hotels above thus far... have you thought about trying for 2.5* properties before trying for a 2*? Also, while you've been unsuccessful for a 3* hotel at $99, i think you have a decent chance for a 4* hotel at $125-$135.. just throwing it out there in case you were willing to try a bit higher for a higher rated hotel. Thanks for using our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

How high do you intend to bid at the 2* level?

Do you have a back-up plan? Quikbook (please use this link) has the Eigth Avenue Inn for $129/nite which appears to be cancellable up until 4pm the day of arrival. The hotel gets mixed reviews, but if it works for your needs you may want to book it just to protect yourself from rising rates.

Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

How high do you intend to bid at the 2* level?

Do you have a back-up plan? Quikbook (please use this link) has the Eigth Avenue Inn for $129/nite which appears to be cancellable up until 4pm the day of arrival. The hotel gets mixed reviews, but if it works for your needs you may want to book it just to protect yourself from rising rates.

Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

I don't think we want to split the bid.

Thanks for the Eighth Ave Inn option, I will probably book that now, as a back up plan...

I think we are going to go up to 3* today and start using the ... um... I can't remember what you call it, where you use zones with no 3 star hotels. My mom got the Sharatin for 100 dollars on the 24th. We are going to be there 3 nights however. I will discuss with my gf splitting my bid.

I'd suggest bidding up to $120 or so for a 2.5* as well. Any 2.5* that you'd win would be better than Eighth Avenue Inn at $129. PRICELINE would probably rate Eighth Avenue Inn a 1*, or 2* at very most.

If you're willing I'd suggest trying $80 for 2.5* first; then add Everett at $90. Everett is your only free rebid for 2.5* in Seattle. Then wait 24 hours and try the same at $100 and $110.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]