Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency

twg
By twg,
in

I wanted to stay in Jersey city 7/7-7/11

My first attempt failed, but after some splitting, I got the following days for $37

7/7 and 7/9 to 7/11 (checking out on 7/11)

Only thing left is 7/8.

I checked Hyatt's website and lowest listed price is 157 for 7/8, it was 199 for 7/7 and 133 for 7/9-7/11. So I should have gotten 7/8.

I tried adding a night option but it told me there was no availability!!! The website shows avail... strange, I guess Priceline's alotment is gone.

I currently booked a cancellable night for 7/8 at $188 to be safe.

From info above, is 7/8 sold out (priceline's alotment that is) ? So is it a waste to keep bidding for 7/8 right now ? I guess I can wait another 72hours and try again..

any other suggestions ?

thanks

Welcome to BetterBidding!

When Priceline says no availability it's not that the hotel is completely sold-out, it's that Priceline has no access to inventory.... but this can (and does) change so it's worthwhile to keep trying.

If you're not successful with the above, i don't know if you'd want to pay the $188/nite for 7/8 or if you'd prefer to go for another nearby hotel in Jersey City.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think there are only 2 3* hotels in the area.. Hyatt and Doubletree... I've noticed on another board that Doubletree rooms typically go for at least $60+... whereas Hyatt goes for as low as $37... does anyone have experience in this area whether this is a good rule to use to prevent getting a hotel other than the Hyatt if I try to bid for that night seperately ?

I think you'll find the same datapoints here as you did elsewhere (re: the $37/$60). I'm also quite familiar with the area as i live just over one mile from these properties.

I'm not sure what you're asking in your second question, but if you mean, "Will i likely get the Hyatt if i keep my bids below $60", i think you will find that when the sub-$37 rate isn't available at the Hyatt it then takes a rate much higher... one that is typically closer to that of the DoubleTree.

Of course things change and perhaps the Hyatt introduces a $45 rate which would negate my comment above, but it is equally as likely that the DoubleTree lowers their rate, and neither the higher Hyatt or the lower DoubleTree rates have yet been reported. So i don't recommend that strategy unless you are indeed willing to accept switching hotels.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thanks... so it seems like my only choice is to keep trying the 37 bid... and hopefully Hyatt releases more rates to PL.. and if I don't get it, then stick with my backup reservation of 188 for 7/8...

Alternatively I am thinking of switching hotels on 7/8, most places in Jersey City are fairly close and if I can get some place for 60, then I'm still saving much more over 188... I'll keep trying for 37 at the Hyatt for 2 more tries (it will take 6 days) and then I'll decide whether to keep the backup or just get whatever I can, even if it's another hotel.

In your experience, does Hyatt release more rooms to PL often ?

Rooms will be released based upon actual occupancy levels vs. predicted occupancy levels. If you knew how many rooms they were expecting to book in the next few days and the number of rooms that would actually be booked... then you could determine the likelihood of the Hyatt releasing additional inventory.

Without all of the above information/knowledge, you might as well flip a coin.

I understand...

Another question I have, forgive me if it's been asked before, but I noticed that in the Hotwire hotel list, in the hoboken area (jersey city), it only lists 1 hotel, and better yet, it's the hyatt regency at 3.5*... assuming that list is still up to date, can I use Hotwire to determine whether there is openings at the Hyatt if I book thru PL ? I just checked and sure enough there are only 2.5* hotels avail in hoboken/Jersey city...

Never mind.. I think I found an answer to my Question.. it seems to be "maybe"... PL seems to have more avail than Hotwire, and there seems to be no relation...

I called Hyatt GP reservations desk, and told them I had multiple confirmations for my consecutive stay. The lady pulled up my first conf # and told me that since it's a PL reservation she couldn't do anything with it and that I need to tell the people during check in that I have multiple stays...

Comments ? Is she correct that I don't have any options until I check in ?

I think TravelGuy posted that he was able to get his reservations combined but i don't recall if that was at check-in or before... and i believe all of his reservations were thru Priceline so that may make a difference since you were trying to combine a Priceline reservation with a Hotwire reservation.

Regardless, i wouldn't worry about it, the staff at this hotel is very professional (my experience) and i'm certain it will all be take care of at check-in (although as i said previously, you may have to show up at the desk in order to 'officially' check-in/check-out).

I had two one night PL reservations that I asked to be combined at check-in. The end result was that I only had to check in and out once. I've never actually done it through GP, only wished I had tried after the difficulty getting it fixed at check-in with the trainee.

I don't understand why it wouldn't be possible given that all the reservations have Hyatt confirmation numbers assigned to them. Perhaps trying again would work. If they say no again, it would be great if you could get them to tell you in more detail why it's not possible.

Another option might be to call the hotel and see if they might be so kind to do it in advance for you.

I think the hotel direct might be a better option as 'central reserations' is usually the ones that say "it's Priceline... i can't touch it"

I just wouldn't spend too much time trying to do this beforehand, i did this once for a stay in Chicago and it wasn't a big deal getting checking-in/checking-out when needed. Just tell them upon the first check-in that you have other reservations for the other nites and if they will block the room. Even if this 'block the room' note is ignored, the room will never be assigned to another guest because you will be occupying it. Once you 'check-out', they'll immediately check you back in, so no worries. I just made sure to go when i woke up or late in the evening.... there are plenty of times when the front desk isn't busy and i just go during those times.

From my own behind the counter experience, if a guest had two customer-paid one-nighters, I could just cancel the second and make the the first for two nights. The "PL problem" is that those pre-paid/direct bill reservations can not be deleted... and therefore, impossible to combine (If PL expects to be charged $38.67 for one night, you can not charge them double that). Once you check-in, you may think they have now combined the stays however, the system checks you out and someone has to manually re-assign you that same room when (if) they see your name again on the day's reservation list (rarely will any hotel ask you to switch rooms).

Some hotels will enter a note in the comments section of the reservation however, they are more than often overlooked so you should always call they day of ... to remind them.

Also, if you do have two PL one-nighters, go down to the front desk and check-out and back in ... as, the hotel may charge the additional night on you credit card (supplied by you for incidentals) and no-show the second PL stay.

In my past PL stays using the UK bonus, I had to book 3+3+3+3 nights at the same hotel and they never combined my stays ... they always cashed me out every three days. My zero-balance receipts would only show 3 nights and not the 12.

So, essentially, PL reservations as well as Expedia etc... are untouchable.

Given my one experience with this sort of thing elsewhere, I would almost recommend that you just check out as normal, and then immediately ask to be checked back in. (Maybe you could tell them in advance what you're doing.) When I tried to have them combined once, the hotel just tried to charge me personally for the second reservation.

From my own behind the counter experience, if a guest had two customer-paid one-nighters, I could just cancel the second and make the the first for two nights. The "PL problem" is that those pre-paid/direct bill reservations can not be deleted... and therefore, impossible to combine (If PL expects to be charged $38.67 for one night, you can not charge them double that). Once you check-in, you may think they have now combined the stays however, the system checks you out and someone has to manually re-assign you that same room when (if) they see your name again on the day's reservation list (rarely will any hotel ask you to switch rooms).

Thanks for the excellent inside information. As I had never seen this issue discussed anywhere, I was actually thinking of asking g_leyser, the hotel expert over at flyertalk about this. (Someone brought it up about a month ago on TOBB, but it went unanswered by the moderator due to "technical" reasons.) Is that the only way to combine reservations?

I would think it would be in the best interests of the hotel companies - generate more sales - to make adding additional nights, wherever they're sold from, completely hassle free. The present system where apparently one has to make separate check-ins/check-outs in order to be safe strikes me as primitive. Why not have software that could "consolidate" the separate reservations into a single queue, where they would be processed in their turn automatically without putting the guests through extra paces? - or simply create a list to do manually as part of the daily front office routine.

As to PL reservations being untouchable, I'm not entirely sure about that. I was once staying with a friend who couldn't check in until the second night of a 2 night PL Hyatt stay. He naturally assumed that he would forfeit the first night, and had absolutely no problem with that. Amazingly, what they ended up doing for him was allowing him to check in the second night, plus extending his stay for an additional night, giving him the full two nights. So at least someone at Hyatt has figured out a way of juggling the dates of a PL reservation.

Well, if I have to manually check out and check in, it's not a big problem... just thought it would less hassle of we combined the multiple reservations.

Actually, the upside to checking out and checking back in, is with Hyatt, they have the faster free nights promotion, I wonder if each reservation would count as a stay.. so essentially, my 4 nights (3 reservations) counts as 3 stays... :)

As to PL reservations being untouchable, I'm not entirely sure about that.  I was once staying with a friend who couldn't check in until the second night of a 2 night PL Hyatt stay.  He naturally assumed that he would forfeit the first night, and had absolutely no problem with that.  Amazingly, what they ended up doing for him was allowing him to check in the second night, plus extending his stay for an additional night, giving him the full two nights.  So at least someone at Hyatt has figured out a way of juggling the dates of a PL reservation.

Willtravel is correct about additional nights being comped...

As can be read in other posts, PL pays with a one-time use MC number ... which I assume expires quickly. I had lost a stay at a Fairfield Inn in Deleware due to a storm and the manager there was nice enough to allow me to use it another time (never did) ... same thing also happened with the Murray Hill Suites ... where I stayed almost 2 months after the original PL reservation.

In these cases, it is better to move the dates (still charge PL) rather than no-showing the guest and not getting paid by PL. It has been debated whether PL pays even for no-shows or pays the $25 penalty for cancelations. From that stay at the Fairfield Inn, the manager told me they get $zero$. I have not experienced this myself with our guests so I can not confirm.

From what I've read, that could be done as follows: check the guest in for the 2 original nights. Give the guest a complimentary night free.

I saw my friend's receipt which showed simply a 2 night stay with check-in one day later, as opposed to 2+1. So if the second night was comped (apparently so), it was a mystery from looking at the paperwork.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]