Priceline Hotel: Going to Vegas- Don't want to be 2nd Class Citizen

noefresh
By noefresh,
in

Hi there-

Great board- forgive me if this is not a new issue to ask but here goes. It seems like whenever I show up at a hotel with a Priceline reservation they put me into the worst room they have.

I'm going to Vegas next month and I'd like to avoid this. I've seen talk on the board about $20 tricks and upgrades. How does that work?

Thanks!

I typically dress as i please (which is usually t-shirts (sometimes with holes in them) and jeans) but i think looking 'presentable' helps with room assignment.

I'd be interested in hearing at which hotels you feel you were given the worst rooms (as well as interested in seeing some of your prior winning bids posted to the board).

Do you already have a reservation for your Vegas trip next month? If so, where?

This is a thread you're probably looking for: TIPPING AT PRICELINE AND HOTWIRE HOTELS.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I won an Airport Hilton in Burbank last October. The initial room they gave me was really dinky and they noted I was a Priceline reservation as I checked in with a bit of a smirk(or maybe I'm just a bit sensitive). I paid $75/night- published rate was $150 or so.

I managed to talk my way into a better room by requesting a room with High Speed Internet. Turns out they only have it in the nice HiltonHonors tower of the hotel. In the end it worked out fine but it would be nice to just check in without that feeling.

As for Vegas, I've not yet made a bid. Was thinking of shooting for The Venetian or The Alladin(though I am not sure if the latter is on Priceline's list). The weekend we want to go is 7/23-7/25.

Thanks!

Nope.... my bad <sorry>, you're in the right place. I had this thread confused with another one.... too tired today i guess :)

What appears to be the Aladdin is available on Hotwire for about $135/nite which doesn't seem too bad for the weekend (Venetian is over $200/nite... but the best rates at the V aren't usually availalbe until about 10 days before check-in). You can match the amenities on a Hotwire search with those in our HOTWIRE LAS VEGAS thread. (feel free to confirm anything you see with the board if you want to double-check or have a second opinion on something). If you decide to wait and try for the Venetian i recommend you book a cancellable back-up... rates change quicker in Vegas than the side of the table a gambler's money is on. :)

There's no way to target the Aladdin on Priceline, although you can often target the Venetian as it's believed to be the only 5* hotel offered.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've often found that the worst room in a 5* hotel is as good or better than the best room in a 4*. If the 5*'s in your budget, go for it and enjoy. Especially where amenities are concerned. If you're a person to use the pool, restaurant and more, it can be nice to stay in a classy hotel that has a lot going for it. If you go for the 4*, it sound like some have had much success with tipping their way into a nicer room, particularily in Vegas.

When I'm concerned about room assignment, I usually fax a nice letter to the concierge to ask him/her for their help in meeting my room preferences (if availability exists). At the better hotels, most often they will try to meet specific requests (non-smoking, view, away from the elevators etc.) -- If you just wing-it and don't say anything at the front counter, I wouldn't expect much. If the concierge does well for me, then I'm more inclined to leave him a thank-you note and a tip. I haven't been brave enough to tip the front-desk staff at check-in.

Enjoy your trip.

I wouldn't generalize that it's always better to wait, but it does apply when looking for 5* on the LV Strip.

When you first posted rates at the Venetian were high for the Saturday nite of your stay so i'm not very confident (at this point) that the Venetian will be available at very reasonable rates, but if you wanted to try for that then about 14 days before check-in (actually 10 days, but start looking 14 days) would be the ideal time to start lookng.

If you were going to try for a 4* property i would think bidding that now is just as good as any other.

If you decide to wait, it is important that you book a cancellable back-up now as rates in Vegas can swing greatly from day-to-day... if demand picks up while you wait to try Priceline then you may just see rates go up and never approach today's levels.

• 1 year later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]