Seattle SEATAC airport to downtown - cheapest way

Phaelon56
By Phaelon56,
in

I've made several trips to Seattle in the past year or two and saw little to no publicity for this transportation option but it's well worth mentioning. There is a municipal bus that serves the airport but it's slow and inconvenient. I believe Super Shuttle is about $14 each way and cabs are about $25 plus tip.

Gray Line is now offering a [url=http://www.betterbidding.com/clicks/click.php?afsrc=1&id=45]PRICELINE EXPRESS[/url] bus that picks up and drops off at several major downtown hotels. It's $8.50 each way or $14 for RT.

Check the schedule here

I used the service and found it to be both reliable and timely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

The Gray line is fine to get to your hotel and cheap if you dont rent a car but be carefule we almost missed our flight home because the shuttle was really slow and got to the airport about 20 minutes after Grayline scheduled time said, plus the airport was so busy we almost missed our flight. Take an earlier shuttle to be safe because flyertalk and others ssaying how the lines at SEA can be really bad for checkin sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...

I always use the public busses if I can. Especially if all you want to do is go downtown, they are not a bad option at all. There are two lines: 174 which stops about a million times and takes forever and 194 which goes onto the interstate and takes you there much faster. So gor for the 194 if you can.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Last summer (July 2004) I took the 194 both into downtown Seattle from SEATAC and then back to the airport after my visit. It was fast and easy and most people on the bus had luggage. I had one 22" roll-on and that was not problem. I think a 26" - 28" roll-on would also work but I'd hesiatsate to bring two bags per person or a really big suitcase - might be awkward. Itw as just about as fast as the Grayline and about $2 each way.

• 3 months later...

I work for the bus system in Seattle as a transit supervisor and can tell you that I always advise people to take the rt 194 to and from SeaTac and downtown. It runs from 4:30am to 10pm every 15-20 minutes weekdays and a little less frequently on Saturdays & Sundays. The trip takes about 30 minutes, about as quick as you'd go in your private car and the bus lets you off right in the airport. Fare is $2.00 peak (commuter hours) or $1.25 off peak & weekends. You really can't beat it.

• 1 year later...

I would recommend the public transportation, it's cheap and easy, plus they run more frequently and don't stop at all the hotels. There is a PRICELINE EXPRESS bus that also serves the airport. It all depends on where you're at, be sure to check Grayline's and Metro's schedules. If you have a lot of luggage, Grayline is probably the best option.

@Matthew

• 2 years later...

Hi Everyone-

I realize this thread is a little old, and at the risk of being the guy who posts something that has already been posted elsewhere, Seattle has extended their light train service from downtown to the airport (and vice versa). I haven't used the service, but it sounds pretty good as it only costs $2.50 each way and you can avoid the traffic! Here is a link with more information:

http://www.soundtransit.org/Riding-Sound-T...-Light-Rail.xml

• 1 month later...
Hi Everyone-

I realize this thread is a little old, and at the risk of being the guy who posts something that has already been posted elsewhere, Seattle has extended their light train service from downtown to the airport (and vice versa). I haven't used the service, but it sounds pretty good as it only costs $2.50 each way and you can avoid the traffic! Here is a link with more information:

http://www.soundtransit.org/Riding-Sound-T...-Light-Rail.xml

the schedual and travel time can be found here

http://www.soundtransit.org/x11204.xml

and as of 2/6/2010, 194 and 174 NO LONGER serve SEA. the light rail is now the ONLY public transit option.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The public buses are a fantastic deal. I have used them to get downtown, to Pike Street, Pine Street, Union Station -- they are quick, reliable, and the bus drivers are an enormous help. Tell them where you want to go and that you are not from Seattle, they will make it a point to announce your stop and help you get where you need to be.

• 4 weeks later...

Yea, I took the bus last time I was there. I took it to Westlake and just walked to my hotel. It took a little longer than the airporter. But it was so cheap, and I didn't have to wait in the freezing weather for the airporter bus to come, and to wait for people, the transit comes all the time.

I'd say if you're a big family or have lots of luggage then maybe I'd chose another option.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

the schedual and travel time can be found here

http://www.soundtransit.org/x11204.xml

and as of 2/6/2010, 194 and 174 NO LONGER serve SEA. the light rail is now the ONLY public transit option.

Actually not quite true. Sound transit express 560 and 574 serve the airport's baggage claim (south end) where the 174 and 194 used to stop. st 574 serves federal way and lakewood. Sound transit 560 serves burien bellevue and renton (with peak service to west Seattle). Both routes also serve the stop on international boulevard and 176th st (link light rail. There are other transit choices on international boulevard (156 180 and the "A line" in addition to the 560 and 578.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]