Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francsico (USE) Westin Market Street

LisainVA
By LisainVA,
in

It would help to post some of the rates of hotels in USE/USW for your dates. I noticed that when I bid for 7/17 - 7/19 rates were quite high, and bid up to $109 with no success. I ended up going with Hotwire for the Intercontinental at $129/nite. You still have plenty of time, but some rates would be helpful to give you a bidding strategy. It would also help if you read the FAQ's about free rebids. Good luck.

I am confused by the rebid faq. one tries to determine where there are no hotels of a certain star variety and then adds that section. is that correct? For example, i don't see any 4* hotels in Area 1. so that could be added and then get a rebid?

You have the theory and strategy of rebidding correct. For example, if you want a 4 star hotel in USW, and strike out on your first bid, then you can add a "non-4 star zone" to your next bid, so on and so forth. This maximizes your number of bidding opportunities for 4 star USW. After 24 hours has passed, you can repeat the entire process all over again.

If you're content to secure a 4 star hotel in either USW, USE or Fisherman's Wharf, I would bid each zone separately, however, rather than including all of them in a single bid. Below is an example:

Bid 1 - USW

Bid 2 - USW, free rebid zone (zone with no 4 star bidding)

Bid 3 - USW, first free rebid zone, another free rebid zone

So on and so forth.

After exhausting all your free rebid opportunities for 4 star USW, then try this:

Bid 1 - USE

Bid 2 - USE, free rebid zone

Bid 3 - USE, first free rebid zone, another free rebid zone

So on and so forth

If you strike out there, then repeat the process again, this time trying for 4 star in the FW zone.

I also suggest slrud's advice to post regular hotel rates in the zones you're targeting. That can help in formulating a bid strategy.

Good luck and welcome to Better Bidding!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You actually have FOUR re-bid zones avaiable when bidding 4 stars in San Francisco... can you find the fourth?

If you let us know your maximum bid (are you willing to go higher than $125?) and which zones you're willing to accept (USE and USW and FW are all equally acceptable?) we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Thank you for using our PRICELINE links to begin your bidding. :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My tops is $140/night. If i am totally off track for the 4* at this price, I will start aiming at the 3*s and see what i can do.

My first choice is USE and then USW. I would rather not stay at the wharf.

All suggestions appreciated.

I believe that the current set of non 4* are cathedral, civic, lombard and south. :)

3* Hotel Whitcomb on Orbitz - $135 (30% off). Use promo code SUMMERFAM for another 10% off = $121.50

3* Club Quarters on Orbitz - $137. Promo code SUMMERFAM - 10% off = $123.30

3* King George Hotel on Expedia - $134.25 and use promo code WB06 for $10 off per night = $124.25 per night + $50 gas card sent to you if you book via Mastercard.

3* Whitcomb Hotel on Expedia - $135.8 - $10 using promo code WB06 = $125.80 per night

3* Villa Florence on Expedia - $151.2 - $10 using promo code WB06 = $141.20

4* Parc Fifty Five on Expedia - $162.33 - $10 using promo code WB06 = $152.33

Also:

4* Sofitel San Francisco Bay - near the airport - $141.33 - $10 using promo code WB06 = $131.33

Just throwing out some regular rate ideas in the vicinity of the price you've already bid up to. Please use the site's links to Orbitz.com or Expedia.com if any of these are of interest.

LisainVA,

Are any of the above appealing to you or would you like to still try PRICELINE with a $140 maximum bid? If you wish to continue to bid, are you willing to pay more to be in the USE zone vs. the USW zone or are you ultimately looking for the least expensive 4* hotel in either of the two zones?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Having looked at the same weekend, the Thursday night is the problem. If you strip off the 17th, then Hotwire has a 4* in USE for $109, which should indicate a Priceline bid under $100. Don't know how feasible splitting one night is, but more food for thought.

Congratulations on your win and thank you for sharing it with the board.

Glad to hear you were able to split your bid and land a hotel for 2 out of 3 nites for substantially less than you had already bid.

If you'd like help with the remaining nite of your stay please start a NEW TOPIC.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy this leg of your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]