Priceline Hotel: 3* Ft Lauderdale (North) Marriott North

beachgurl
By beachgurl,
in

OK, so I was rather hoping for one of the ESA Deluxe or the Courtyard, but I got this Marriott instead. I'm sure it will be fine for what I need, but I hate to stay in recently downgraded properties. Their website says the rooms are all renovated so I'll try to post an update on condition later. Somewhat concerned because their rates are dropping from $139 to $99 during my stay. I'll be out of the room working nearly all the time so maybe I'll get lucky.

yes, used the PRICELINE link provided here. Bid was made a few days ago.

Congratulations on your win!

Can you doublecheck your winning bid confirmation screen and confirm the star rating of this property... it has previously been reported as a 3* and i believe it to still be rated as such; it woudl be rare for a Marriott (non-Courtyard) to be rated 2.5 stars.

Thank you for sharing it with the board and for using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Hope your stay is off to a great start!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, it came as a 2.5*. not an upgrade to a 3*.

I do not know if that will be an ongoing rating, or if it will be changing. I read many reviews as recent as June 08 that blasted the property. Many complained about ongoing renovations, restaurant being closed, damp mustiness in rooms. It appears to me that all renovations are complete. Perhaps some rooms have not been redone, but mine was and I see no evidence of ongoing work that would be a bother to guests

For anyone concerned about receiving this property- I found it to be an older Marriott, but one that has been kept up. There is nothing that you can do to make 20 yr old walls look like new construction but there is fresh paint, new carpet and so on everywhere. The room furnishings are typical Marriott quality and the staff has been bending over backwards to be helpful. I understand that the restaurant has been completely redone and they have two new chefs. One review mentioned a "feeling of dampness" and mustiness. I have only noticed a slight whiff of mustiness when first entering, and not an ongoing issue. I have found that before in many southern FL properties of all star levels in the past. The neighboorhood might be lacking for some- a trailor park across the street from the business complex this is located in and vacant strip centers as you exit the freeway.

When you consider that for this price I could be in a motel 6....I found that slight mustiness to be the only problem and one easy to look beyond.

I live in the FLL area and in fact stayed at this hotel on New Years Eve (so that I didn't have to drive after a party).

At that time I got the hotel, it was very clearly listed as a 3* (upgraded from my original 2.5* bid). The room was fine - spotlessly clean with no hint of mustiness (and I'm sensitive to that). I will note that my room (a corner room) did not have the flat-panel televisions, so I don't know if that room received the updraded TVs later of if some rooms just didn't receive them. It definitely had the new Marriott bedding, which is outstanding.

I'm guessing that there is a reason for this hotel's increasing and agressive use of Priceline - not only is this the low season for hotels in this area, this particular hotel is very much a business oriented hotel (it is near the world HQ of the Citrix Corp. and also next to regional offices of Microsoft and Sprint). With the economic slowdown, it's probable that business travel is markedly down, causing them to scramble to fill more of their rooms.

One nice thing about this hotel is that, rare for a full-service major-chain property, high-speed internet access is free.

ok, final update. I used the "extend your stay" function and when I got the extension I noticed that the rating was a 3*. I agree with TBQ's accessment. Nice place, great staff, definitely a business oriented property. They were sampling dinner entree's and wine in the lobby during the weekday evenings. I had a flat screen and can confirm the free high-speed. I'd gladly stay there again.

thereuare: I swear I double checked the star listing! I'm familiar with the upgrade system, but my confirmation page didn't list anything like that or list 3* anyplace. <shakes head, rolls eyes> But in light of the extension coming in as a 3*, I'd say the title should be changed. Thanks for all the work you do here.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]