Driver under 25

gotkwah
By gotkwah,
in

I am trying to rent a car for my trip to orlando on June 22-25. However, I am 22 and PRICELINE wont take my bids. I have even bid a few dollars over their asking price. Any suggestions?

Also, I get the following response to many of my bids:

"Unfortunately, our Name Your Own Price service was unable to locate an available rental car for the area and dates you selected. However, we have found a broad selection of rental car options below."
Does it mean anything specific?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

How much have you already bid? What price are you refering to that PRICELINE 'suggested' you bid? (as priceline doesn't typically offer an 'asking' price) What is the rate they're offering thru the 'retail' product once your bid is rejected?

Does HOTWIRE show anything thru the 'opaque' service for an under 25 driver... how much?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

i have placed close to 20 bids on SUV and then economy-full size car, ranging in price from $8-16 for the cars and 22 for the SUV.

What i meant by "asking price" is the price they offer you when you do a reg search, before you bid, or the prices they show after you have bid.

For example, last night they were asking $9 for an economy car. and i bid $10. they wanted $11 for a midsize, i offered 13.

Not sure what you mean by opaque on hotwire. whatever i saw there kept telling me there were surcharges for under 25 drivers.

The prices you're quoting above (and offered thru the 'retail' outlets) are for standard rates... if you reserved those cars there would be an "underage driver fee" added at the rental counter (can be upwards of $10-$25+/day). PRICELINE includes this amount in your bid, so your non-SUV bids already placed woudln't even be enough to cover this fee, let alone the car.

I suspect you're going to have to bid much higher to have a chance at winning a PRICELINE car rental bid. What is the best rate you're able to find for a rental including the underage rental fee (if the option to select an underage driver isn't available thru Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, etc, you may have to search directly at Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Thrifty)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Right now PRICELINE is quoting $8-Economy, $8-Compact, $11-midsize through Payless.
This does not, i'm assuming, include the underage driver fee... how much is it with that included?
HOTWIRE is quoting $16, $17, and $19 for those sizes.
Do these include the underage driver fee?

So it appears that your best deal currently is ~$22 thru PRICELINE and payless, correct?

Payless is not a company that PRICELINE deals with on the "opaque/bidding" side of their service, and given the HOTWIRE prices you're quoting, i'm assuming that including the underate drive fee will have those companies more inline with about $33-$35.

So go thru PRICELINE and purchasing the Payless offer may be your best deal, but to try and do better, how high would you be willing to bid in order to try to do better than the $22 rate thru payless/PRICELINE?

They will often email you 72 hours after a rejected bid letting you know that you're eligible to bid again.

So it appears that your best deal currently is ~$22 thru PRICELINE and payless, correct?

Payless is not a company that PRICELINE deals with on the "opaque/bidding" side of their service, and given the HOTWIRE prices you're quoting, i'm assuming that including the underate drive fee will have those companies more inline with about $33-$35.

So go thru PRICELINE and purchasing the Payless offer may be your best deal, but to try and do better, how high would you be willing to bid in order to try to do better than the $22 rate thru payless/PRICELINE?

Good luck.

Check advantage rent a car. There is a chance, that they might not charge you extra.

~JS

Jason's Storm- Making one killer deal after another. With something other than a machete to the head.

From the ashes of Friday the 13th Forum, rises Friday the 13th: The Community. A new beginning has arrived.

• 2 years later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]