STL bidding help

rove312
By rove312,
in

I'm used to getting low weekend rates, so I was surprised at the rates I was seeing for a one-day rental at STL starting the evening of Monday, July 14. Economy is o.k.; the lowest I was finding was $59 base, $75 all-in. Using a Thrifty discount code, I was able to make a tentative booking at $53 base, $68 all-in. What bid could I try on PRICELINE? If I do this, I'll be sure to use your link.

Please note, as per our support page, that we're also an affiliate if Thrifty... please use our links for your 'travel direct' purchases as well.

One downside of a short rental such as this is that the PRICELINE fee will still be $6 or so, which can eat into any savings quite a bit.

I would start at $25 and go up $3 each bid from there, trying every 72 hours which in about 2 weeks will bring you to what should be maximum bid as the total will begin to exceed the deal you're able to get directly thru Thrifty.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...

Upon confirming that bids could be made every 24 hours, I followed this, making my bids in the last week. My last failed bid was $48, with a total of $62.13 already making it borderline whether I should just stay with the small benefits of booking direct when I'm in Thrifty's loyalty program. So I'm not continuing past that.

There were things about the counteroffers that I found interesting:

At $39, I got a counteroffer of $54 being $73.31 all-in. I'd entered my times as a full 24 hours, but at $42 I entered 23 hours to reflect more accurately the time I'd have it, understanding that it shouldn't make a difference in any charges. That again was counteroffered $54 but a slightly lower total.

The $45 offer was counteroffered $61, but the total was $71.67, that is, less than with a $54 base.

On my previous bids, the taxes and fees were under $10, but at $48 they were $14 as described above, catching me by surprise but I made the bid. There they counteroffered $62 becoming $77.03.

I made all bids through your PRICELINE link.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]