Car rental JFK/LGA July 8/15. Is the price likely to drop?

happysaver
By happysaver,
in

I will be renting a car from JFK to LGA for a week in July (from 8 till 15).

What I observe is that at the moment the rates for pick-up in July are a lot higher compared to July reservations. For comparison, midsize from National can be reserved for about $160 a week all in with pick up in June, but price jumps to over $400 if picked up when I need it. Similar stuff with Budget.

Is there any reason to expect that July rates will drop once the month starts? It's kind of pointless to waste time now trying to save $10 or so knowing that the rates will drastically drop in two weeks anyway. Or so I hope :)

Rates are capacity controlled and based upon the supply/demand factors for your particular dates. There is no telling is rates will go up or down between now and your travel dates, but given the rate jumps 3x, i would doubt this is simply a timing issue (and more likely city residents added to the pool of renters who rent cars to get away for vacation... note: many NYers don't own cars)

I assume this is not a "manhattan" trip, for if so, you really dont' need (or want) a car in the city. If you're traveling outside the NYC Metro area, do you need a car at what ever location you're heading? (there are often many inexpensive options for getting from NYC to other major cities if you don't need to have a car at your destination)

If you haven't already, ou can use our Car Rental Checker to assist in your rate search.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks.

No this is not a "Manhattan trip." I need a car for apartment hunting on Long Island.

Sure thing car rental rates are capacity controlled. So are the airfares, but that does not stop them from going up and down. Capacity control alone can't explain 300% price hike from June 30th to July 1st. So my question is this: are the rental car companies known to hold prices high for those who book and forget, and then drop them looking for "last minute business"? I'll keep my eyes on the prices and let the board know about the outcome.

Edited: I do not believe in Manhattan residents significantly contributing to demand at JFK/LGA. It makes a lot more sense for them to rent from EWR.

Capacity control alone can't explain 300% price hike from June 30th to July 1st. So my question is this: are the rental car companies known to hold prices high for those who book and forget, and then drop them looking for "last minute business"?
Capactiy control makes a lot more sense in this situation than the car companies keeping rates artificially high looking for last minute business.
Edited: I do not believe in Manhattan residents significantly contributing to demand at JFK/LGA. It makes a lot more sense for them to rent from EWR.
I disagree. Most NYC residents rent from within the city, and within the same company they often 'share' cars with their LGA/JFK counterparts. Many LGA/JFK cars are 'left' in the city and billed as a one-way rental, so the Manhattan offices are often looking for ways to get this cars back to the airports. It's often much cheaper to rent one-way from NYC-->JFK/LGA than it is JFK/LGA-->NYC since their is often an influx of cars in Manhattan.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]