Bereavement Airfare

wexcellent
By wexcellent,
in

Need some help and suggestions regarding "bereavement" fares. (I assume this topic has come up previously, but being new to the board I don't have time to search previous threads - I apologize)

My elderly grandmother in Ft. Lauderdale is apparently on her last legs - a matter of just a few days, most likely. I'll probably try to book a last minute fare from Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale or to Miami for her memorial service, once she passes.

Any advice or tips on how to get a reasonable fare? I know that airlines offer "bereavement fares" but I suspect that they are not necessarily good deals. Any advice as to what other options I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to hear of your grandmother's condition.

I would call airlines now to find out their bereavement policy and you can get an 'idea' of priceline compared to current rates for the same routes they quote you.

If you intend to arrive the day before you really need to be there and are flexible as to when you leave, you can try bidding on PRICELINE for the airline ticket, but you really need to be flexible in departure/arrival times (which is why i say only if you are arriving at least a day before you really need to be there).

You an also use our Airfare Checker to get a guage of, and compare rates, from the various services.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Doing a search for Saturday or Sunday, June 14 or 15, prices seem to be anywhere from $700 to upwards of $1000 for nonstops.

I don't have a set price limit, but 500 to 600 would be sounding pretty good to me now. Problem is I can't be stuck with large penalty/change fees, since I'm not sure of my return date...

• 2 weeks later...
Need some help and suggestions regarding "bereavement" fares. (I assume this topic has come up previously, but being new to the board I don't have time to search previous threads - I apologize)

My elderly grandmother in Ft. Lauderdale is apparently on her last legs - a matter of just a few days, most likely. I'll probably try to book a last minute fare from Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale or to Miami for her memorial service, once she passes.

Any advice or tips on how to get a reasonable fare? I know that airlines offer "bereavement fares" but I suspect that they are not necessarily good deals. Any advice as to what other options I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

I have had some good luck using Site59 for short notice flights. I have gotten a flight and rental car for a few days for less than than 50% of a ticket alone.

Doing a search for Saturday or Sunday, June 14 or 15, prices seem to be anywhere from $700 to upwards of $1000 for nonstops.

I don't have a set price limit, but 500 to 600 would be sounding pretty good to me now. Problem is I can't be stuck with large penalty/change fees, since I'm not sure of my return date...

What did you end up getting?

My gram is in Ft. Lauderdale as well and I'm sure I'll be in the same situtation as you someday soon.

Happy Travelling, Randi
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]