rent a car in San Francisco Intl Airport(28/6-7/7)

dou&ya
By dou&ya,
in

I want to rent a compact car in SF Intl airport from 28/6 to 7/7. I have tried PRICELINE many times with price $13-20/day. But i was reject for all these price. I saw many people in this forum get a good price on $12-15, I don't know how to get a good deal. Do I need to continutely bid on PL. how about HOTWIRE? I never try it on hotwire. thanks

Assuming the pickup/dropoff times are the same, a $20 bid for a compact for 9 days = $255.36 total with taxes/fees.
Do you mean I try it on PL?
Using the $30 off coupon from this page: http://www.alamo.com/index.do?action=/hotD..._ecoupons_offer and the contract ID 7014182 at alamo.com, gets you the compact for $235.32 total.
I just tried it on Alamo.com, it works! However they mention me to show my coupon when I pick up a car. How can I get this coupon? I comes from other country and I am not member of any U.S. club.

Szymon

Do you mean I try it on PL?

I just tried it on Alamo.com, it works! However they mention me to show my coupon when I pick up a car. How can I get this coupon? I comes from other country and I am not member of any U.S. club.

Szymon

From my experience, Alamo clerks almost never check for memberships or coupons, because the discount(s) already show(s) up in their system.

Contract ID 7014182 is for users of VacationOutlet.com website, so anyone in the world can use it.

For the coupon simply print out that page and bring it with you, just in case.

From my experience, Alamo clerks almost never check for memberships or coupons, because the discount(s) already show(s) up in their system.

Contract ID 7014182 is for users of VacationOutlet.com website, so anyone in the world can use it.

For the coupon simply print out that page and bring it with you, just in case.

Thank you :) ! Appreciate your help. What is the coupon should I print? Do you mean I open the link http://www.alamo.com/index.do?action=/hotD..._ecoupons_offer , and print this page?

Do you mean I open the link http://www.alamo.com/index.do?action=/hotD..._ecoupons_offer

and print this page?

Yes, that's what I mean.

By the way, keep in mind that US rental rates do not include mandatory liability insurance. Most people here have their own insurance, but since you are "from another country" you may have to buy one from the rental company. That could easily double the cost of your rental. Did you look at "all-inclusive" rental rates, say those which you get from car rental website based in Europe or may be in your own country? Sure thing they are more expensive, but not when you factor in insurance cost.

Thank you very much! I have rent a car in Alamo today under your direction. It almost same me $55! :) As I come from China, I can not find a website that show me "all-inclusive". So I decided to buy CDW an EP to cover my rent. So the total cost is $495 for 10 days. Include base rate: $202, CDW&EP: $220, Tax, surcharge and fee: $73.

Is that good deal for a foreign?

That seems a bit too expensive.

Check British booking sites, like Opodo, Expedia, Orbitz ... (Web address would be www.<site name>.co.uk) It looks like you could save at least $100 - $150 by boking through them, assuming they'll be able to accept a credit card with non-UK address.

You are amazing! I follow up your direction to book a compact car on Expeida UK website. The total cost is only

Collision & Damage Waiver, Theft Protection, Third-Party Liability Insurance, ..., Additional Liability Insurance for the U.S. and Canada

Does this means "all-inclusive" as you metioned in front?

That's pretty much all you could ask for :)
What is the meaning of the last term regarding "excess". Any conflict with the first question?
That's all right. There is no conflict. "Excess" (usually called "deductible" in the US) is the amount of loss not covered by CDW. Let's say excess is $500 (which is typical I think). Scenario 1: you hit the curb and rip a tire which costs $150 to replace. It would be your responsibility to pay $150 because it's all under excess. Scenario 2: a tree falls on the car and the car becomes total loss. Then your responsibility is to pay $500 and the rest comes under CDW. In reality (we are all good drivers, and trees are not supposed to fall for no reason, right?) you should not worry about all this.

IMHO you have found a very good rate. If I were you I'd have booked it.

That's pretty much all you could ask for :)

That's all right. There is no conflict. "Excess" (usually called "deductible" in the US) is the amount of loss not covered by CDW. Let's say excess is $500 (which is typical I think). Scenario 1: you hit the curb and rip a tire which costs $150 to replace. It would be your responsibility to pay $150 because it's all under excess. Scenario 2: a tree falls on the car and the car becomes total loss. Then your responsibility is to pay $500 and the rest comes under CDW. In reality (we are all good drivers, and trees are not supposed to fall for no reason, right?) you should not worry about all this.

IMHO you have found a very good rate. If I were you I'd have booked it.

I have booked the car this morning. Thank you for your kindly help. :)

• 6 months later...

Hi,

What would happen if I am a US citizen and make a pre-paid purchase through Expedia.co.uk? It shows up as a Hertz car rental purchase and I have a Hertz Club #1 Gold Card so I don't know how they would turn me down if I prepay it. I don't mind prepaying because its a lot cheaper to do so at SFO and no where in the terms or conditions does it say that I must be from UK.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]