Priceline Hotel: 4* Seattle (Downtown) Westin

Ruby Tuesday
By Ruby Tuesday,
in

We want to stay in the Seattle downtown area / pike place market for Sunday july 20- Tuesday july 22

We prefer a 2,5 * or 3 * hotel.

On this board i find a lot of examples for bidding in june or august, and less for july.

What do you think is a good bid to start for our period ?

The 2,5 * springhill suite is $ 239

3 * Holiday INN, Crowne Plaze and Red Lion are round the $200,=

Finely we want to pay max $ 125/ 130 excluding tax and excluding parking fee.

Is it realistic to start wiht $60 for the 2,5 * / 80 $ voor the 3* ?

Times before we bid at priceline without any strategy, and this time i hope with any help of you to get te best bid :)

(I hope you understand what i mean; my English is not so good.

When I make big writing mistakes, tell it to me so I can learn to do it better)

Welcome to BetterBidding, Ruby Tuesday.

When you say you want to spend a maximum of $130 do you mean $130 for each night or for two nights?

If you're willing to spend $130 per night there's a good chance you can get a 4* Downtown.

Do you want to try for a 4*, probably in the $100-130 range? Or do you prefer a 2.5* or 3* for less, maybe in the $60-95 range?

2.5* hotels don't always cost less than 3* in Downtown Seattle. Unless you want a 4* my suggestion would be to bid for the 2.5* rather than 3*. If a 3* hotel has a lower Priceline rate than the 2.5* your 2.5* bid will be upgraded.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Few things to note...

When you select a star level, it is the minimum star level you are willing to accept, so if you bid for a 3* up to $130 and are rejected, there wouldn't be any point in then trying for a 4* up to $130 since PRICELINE also checked for 4* hotels on your previous bids. They always try to 'upgrade' you to a higher star level if possible.

As well, since PRICELINE also checks for the higher star quality when you bid, you can't bid for a 2.5*, then a 3*, then a 4*, since these would be viewed as duplicate bids... you can bid for a 4*, then a 3*, then a 2.5* since you are lowering your star quality on each subsequent bid.

I'll add that for the average visitor in Seattle, they prefer to stay near the Pike Place Market part of downtown rather than the Space Needle area of downtown. PRICELINE includes both of these areas in one larger 'downtown' zone, while HOTWIRE divides this area into two, separating the Pike Place area and the Space Needle area, something to consider of you choose one zone over the other.

Let us know your thoughts (if you prefer to try for a 3* first or a 2.5* and/or if you prefer one area of downtown vs. the other) and we'll advise according.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

EDIT to ADD: note that on HOTWIRE the least expensive hotel offered in any of the downtown zones at any star level is a 4* hotel in the Pike Place zone for $105. It's interesting that the 4* is cheaper than all the other star ratings offered. At $105/nite this is within your budget if it's somethign you would like to consider... best guess is that it's the Sheraton which generally gets good reviews.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you opt for 4* that $105 in Pike Place is a good deal. You might even get it for less than $105 on PRICELINE. There are a lot of free rebid zones for 4*. I'd suggest starting at $85 and going up $3 with each free rebid. If you need help determining your free rebid zones please ask.

Priceline's service charge is higher than Hotwire's so look at the bottom line price including service charge, not just the bid amount. A $101 bid on PRICELINE could be more expensive than a $105 purchase on HOTWIRE.

If you want to pay less I suggest bidding for a 2.5*, as mentioned already. You have two free rebid zones for 2.5*---Everett and North Everett. I suggest:

$55/2.5* Downtown

$60/2.5* Downtown + Everett

Close browser, reaccess PRICELINE and start a new bid:

$65/2.5* Downtown + North Everett

$70/2.5* Downtown + North Everett + Everett

If rejected wait 24 hours and repeat the same pattern, raising each amount by $10. That will take you to $80. I wouldn't bid higher than $80 for a 2.5* or 3* this far ahead.

Good luck, Ruby Tuesday. Please update us with your progress.

Thank you for the advice.

Yesterday and this evening no succes on the 2,5* en 3 * The max we bid was $85,=

tomorrow I'll try it again with the same amount (you never know). When the bid was than also refused (i mean not accepted) the day after tomorrow I take the 4* deal on HOTWIRE (the option of thereuare) .

I tell you the end of the bidding adventure

Ruby Tuesday

Thanks that you do not forgot me and my question :)

till today i do not have luck

17th of june the hotwire price go up. At this moment $ 129 for the 4*. I'll visit the site daily and I hope te price wil go < $ 110.

I have try to win the priceline 2,5* en 3* a few times, but $88 was not enough. I don't try the 2,5 en 3 anymore.

Till yesterday the 4* $ 105,= was not enough. But there is hope for us: trooper had a good deal also for july 20. ( http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=51465& )

I hope that i can give you a :) update soon

Ruby Tuesday

Thanks for the update, Ruby Tuesday.

Like tilepusher says, it's early to give up on 2.5* or 3* if that's what you most want. Your trip is still 3+ weeks away and it's not unusual for availability to improve in the weeks just before, or even days before.

If you keep bidding for 2.5* be careful though. A new 2.5* hotel was just reported in North Everett zone. North Everett is no longer a free rebid zone for 2.5*.

On HOTWIRE I see the 4* for $124 now. You've bid up to $105 on Priceline and your bidding limit is $130. I think you're probably within $10 of a win on Priceline, if you're willing to bid a little higher. The rate could go down if you wait, but it also could go up.

Since you said you want to be in Downtown/Pike Market area I would probably go for the 4*, either purchasing on HOTWIRE or bidding a little higher than you have on PRICELINE. With the 2.5* or 3* you'll probably be Downtown, but it's not 100%. There are a couple 2.5* and a 3* up by Space Needle.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

andrewsmom,

Welcome to BetterBidding!

There are likley others who could benefit from this information as well, can you please start a NEW TOPIC to reflect your purchase so that others will be aware of a win for these dates when scanning the topic title as well as searching in the calendareofwins.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It's much too early to panic, Ruby Tuesday. Don't buy a room in Bellevue yet or a 2* Downtown. There are or will be other options.

Is your limit for a 4* Dowtown still $130, as you mentioned in a prior post? Or have you reduced your limit?

When did you last bid for a 4* Downtown on PRICELINE and how high did you bid?

What about for 2.5* and 3* Downtown? When did you last bid for those and how high?

Sorry for so many questions.

thanks for your words, that it is to early for panic :o and don's say sorry for the questions. I had to say sorry, everyday you spent a lot of time to my bid :)

I bid just for the last 4 holidays to the USA, and always my bid is accepted very fast for a good price. This time i thought is was easy because i had a good advice of you. And you have right, there is a little bit panic, and than i lost the strategy and common sense. i'm afraid that there is no bed on the 20th of July.

Yesterday we bid $ 75 for 2* (i thougth that it was that amount, i don't write it down anymore :) ).

The day before yesterday i bid for the 2,5* and 3 * $ 85

and the max we bid in 4* is $ 120,- so it is not the max. amount. I did'n use all the rebids,..(i bid twice)

you see that there isnot any strategy anymore, and it will be necassary that i make up my mind for a new plan, write down my bids, use the rebids,.....

Because the price on hotwire for the 4* go up, i think it will be hard to find a 4* hotel.

Prices on the website today/ AAA:

2,5* Best W. Executive Inn: $ 161.40

2,5* Homewood suites $ 269

3* Crown Plaza $ 179

3* Red Lion $ 148

4* Sheraton $ 229

4* Westin $ 229

Tax not included.

Ruby Tuesday

you see that there isnot any strategy anymore, and it will be necassary that i make up my mind for a new plan, write down my bids, use the rebids,.....
As long you haven't had a bid accepted, or booked something elsewhere which is non-refundable, you can alwasy "re-group" and come up with a new gameplan :)
and the max we bid in 4* is $ 120,- so it is not the max. amount. I did'n use all the rebids,..(i bid twice)
I think your chances for a 4* are good if you're willing to try up to $130... i think they become very good if you can stretch that to $140.

I'd think twice about a 2* bid in downtown Seattle. If you got the Best Western Loyal Inn for a reasonable price, you'd probably think it a good deal (which we have done once).

But the most likely outcome is the 6th Avenue Inn. This is an OK hotel, but I think it would be disappointing for many people, particularly if for just a little more, you could get a nicer 2.5* place. The 6th Avenue Inn used to be a 1* hotel, and that's what it should be, IMO.

I actually liked the Sixth Avenue Inn, Will Travel. If I remember right I tried to extend my stay there without luck. Not sure how long ago you were there but I found my room very comfortable, not 1*. Maybe it's been renovated? Maybe I have no standards? But you're right, it's definitely not a 4* or 3*, or as good as some of the other 2.5*. Still I wouldn't call it a BAD place, or a place to avoid when options are limited. Location is good and parking much less than other Downtown hotels.

Ruby Tuesday,

Have you bid to $130 for a 4* yet?

In Pike Place zone Hotwire has a 4* for $162, 3* for $166, and a 2.5* for $112, which looks like Sixth Avenue Inn.

Your stay is a Sunday and Monday nights. Sunday looks cheaper than Monday. Are you willing to split your bid and possibly stay at two different hotels? If so I suggest bidding from $85 to $110 for a 4* for just Sunday night alone. Then we'll deal with Monday separately.

I wouldn't say the room was uncomfortable, just very, very plain (probably dingy). I last stayed there in 2006, when I got a free night at the Days Inn, but was moved across the street to the Sixth Avenue Inn. I had stayed there a few years before, and it was about the same. I'd be fine staying there for free or a low rate, but if someone also has 4* hotels in her sights, this hotel would be a big letdown, I fear (but it might have improved in the last two years).

I wouldn't say the room was uncomfortable, just very, very plain (probably dingy). I last stayed there in 2006, when I got a free night at the Days Inn, but was moved across the street to the Sixth Avenue Inn.

I'm wondering if you're confusing the Sixth Avenue Inn and Eighth Avenue Inn, two different hotels a few blocks apart? I say that because I think the Days Inn is nearer the Eighth Avenue Inn, which did look sort of a dingy hotel to me (although I didn't stay there). Sixth Avenue Inn is very plain on the outside but Mission style lobby and nicely furnished room. If it really is Sixth Avenue Inn you're talking about I have to think it's been redecorated since you were there in 2006.

Sorry that i didn't reply earlier, i was a few days off-line. Since two days online and bidding. No, not a hotel yet (at home i have wirte down the bids i'll write them down her, but now i'm at the office,...)

I don't like to switch between hotels, because we are only 2 days in seattle.

thank you for ask attention for the bid of gr8aunt . Wow the same days, it gives hope. i'll try and let you know.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]