Priceline Hotel: 3* San Diego (Coastal) Marriott La Jolla

beek1720
By beek1720,
in

Welcome to BetterBidding, beek1720.

What's your hotel budget per night? That will determine whether you can afford a 3* or 4*.

How many in your party? That will help determine, in part, whether Priceline or Hotwire would be more appropriate. Priceline only guarantees double occupancy, two to a room. Hotwire lets you reserve for three or four to a room as well, usually at a higher rate than Priceline.

Thanks.

$100 is a maybe for a 4*. For some dates $100 will enough and for other dates it will take more.

Would you like to bid $100 for a 4* before trying for 3*? Or would you rather pay less than $100 for a 3*?

Also, Priceline only guarantees double occupancy. San Diego is a family oriented destination and hotels there are skewed towards two-bed rooms but two beds aren't guaranteed on Priceline. Are you willing to take the small risk of getting a one bed room or do you want an ironclad guarantee of two beds? If the latter then Hotwire might be a better choice.

Priceline has three zones near the areas you want: Downtown, Coastal, and Point Loma-Shelter Island. Do you prefer one zone, or zones, above the others? Or do you want the least expensive hotel in any of the three zones? Downtown and Coastal go to 4*. Point Loma only goes to 3*.

I'd rather pay less than $100 for a 3 *.
Just to be clear... what if both a 3* and a 4* were avaialble for under $100. For example, a 4* could be had for $90 and a 3* coudl be had for $65 or $70... would you prefer the higher rated hotel (since it's still under your budget) or the less expensive property?
Priceline has three zones near the areas you want: Downtown, Coastal, and Point Loma-Shelter Island. Do you prefer one zone, or zones, above the others? Or do you want the least expensive hotel in any of the three zones? Downtown and Coastal go to 4*. Point Loma only goes to 3*.
Let us know regarding the zones and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

sorry for being unclear...i think that a 3* for the lower price would be best. but i'd be interested to learn the strategies for both, just in case!!

thanks for being patient with me! I'm usually not this dumb!

i forgot to add that any of the 3 zones mentioned would be great!

At the 3* level you have four re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Downtown, Coastal, and Point Loma-Shelter Island...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Downtown, Coastal, and Point Loma-Shelter Island and re-bid zone3...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Downtown, Coastal, and Point Loma-Shelter Island and re-bid zone4...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $100

Any questions lfeel free to ask.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

CONGRATULAITONS on your win... this is a BIG first win!

This is a fraction of the going rate and an excellent deal for these dates!!

Glad to see it went so well and that you're happy with the results... we're happy to have helped.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and for using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Have a great stay.

I'd start at ~$12 and increase $3 every 72 hours... this will take about a week before approaching the point where the HOTWIRE rate would be more appropriate (and hopefully still avaialblel in a weeks time)

Before bidding see how much the HOTWIRE total rate is, as their fees are sometimes cheaper than PRICELINE, so as you get to $20+ the $25 HOTWIRE offer may actually be less than a same priced PRICELINE bid due to the taxes and fees.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Keep us updated as to your progress.

• 6 years later...

Well thanks to all your stellar tips, I got the Marriott La Jolla for $60 a night! Woo hoo!! laugh.gif

Thanks so much!

p.s. I made sure to use the PRICELINE link you provided!!

Wow!  I would like to try for the same thing.  Family of six needs two rooms (due to occupancy rules--otherwise kids on a rollaway/couch would be fine) with a check in on July 25 and checkout July 28th.  We would love the Marriott La Jolla.  Before I found this site, I used Priceline to try $50, then $55, then $60 with no success.  I understand I am a week later and occupancy rates can change, but any tips on how to get the same deal (or close)??

I understand I am a week later and occupancy rates can change...

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Actually this thread is from 2008, so you are 1 week and 5 years later :)

For help with your own trip please start a NEW TOPIC and we will assist you there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thank you.

*Derp*!  Sorry!  As you can see, I have too many searches going through my CPU and it does hiccup when overloaded!!  lol

I am frustrated by all the ads for cheap rates, but  then when you click on them and put your dates in, the price triples!

I will start a new topic and see if you can help.

thanks...

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]