SEA Seattle Economy Avis

Jax4
By Jax4,
in

First bid. Upgrades are frequent as rental companies seldom have economy/compact cars.

Your Offer Price: $9.00 (per day)

Total Rental Days: 1 days

Subtotal: $9.00

Taxes and Fees: $12.36

Total Charges: $21.36

Lowest Published Price: $48.99

Total Savings:* $27.63 (You saved 56%)

I'm curious what kind of car you got, Jax4.

I've won a compact from Avis for under $10/night twice recently. One time they gave me a fullsize and the other time an SUV. I think Avis is using these ultralow PRICELINE rates on economy and compact class as a ruse to get big cars that people don't want now onto the streets.

I'm curious what kind of car you got, Jax4.

I've won a compact from Avis for under $10/night twice recently. One time they gave me a fullsize and the other time an SUV. I think Avis is using these ultralow PRICELINE rates on economy and compact class as a ruse to get big cars that people don't want now onto the streets.

Actually ended up with a Jeep Compass. I live on the road with work and this is only my second car through Priceline. I've purchased dozens of rooms through Priceline & Hotwire; however, I just never felt comfortable with cars as trips get cut short and extended constantly. I know just barely enough to pick the right length of stays for hotel bidding.

Typically, if you really insist on a car and have a pleasant, engaging personality, you can get one. Timing is everything - available inventory is constantly changing - from one minute until the next, particularly in larger markets.

I had an issue with this rental and was hopeful someone with a similar experience could assist. Here's what happened:

---- I flew into Seattle last Friday and rented just after noon. I reserved for 1 day not knowing if I would fly out (return the car) on Friday or Saturday, so I booked for the full 24 hours. I returned before 8pm on Friday to catch a redeye flight not carrying over to the Saturday return date as indicated in the purchase. A*** in Seattle took full advantage - full retail rack rate plus surcharges - $161.22 for 7 hours lol. Local management refused to lift a finger, even being as polite as I could be :).

Of course, the rental fine print verifies they CAN charge more if returned early, standard verbage in any rental contract. I rent a few cars each month and been rather fortunate in my rental car experiences. National's Emerald/Executive/Elite service is my preferred company; however, there are better and better deals coming available so it seems, hence my attempt with Priceline and car rentals.

Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks for the information provided by you loyal posters out there; it is quite helpful.

Jax4

I would contact PRICELINE and have them contact Avis to refund the 'extra' charge.

If you go to PRICELINE, click the HELP on the top right corner of their page, then FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS, on the right side of the form choose RENTAL CARS from the dropdown menu and search for 'return early'. First link in the results (current at time of posting):

Can I return my car early?

You can always return your car earlier than your scheduled drop-off time but priceline cannot issue any refunds for unused time. Our rental car partners choose whether to accept your offer based on the exact combination of pick-up date, drop-off date, car type and location you select while on our website. As a result, your accepted price reflects savings that may not have been offered to you with any other combination. We know our no refunds policy is strict, but it's the agreement that keeps this great service available and the reason the major car rental companies allow you to save so much money with priceline.

(bold added by me)

If you have trouble locating the above send me a PM.

Let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]