PRICELINE BIDDING TIPS FOR CANADIANS and NON-US

SuntanD
By SuntanD,
in

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start by reading your messages and clicking each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links... then reply to this thread and we'll have a look at your post above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone,

First of all, thank you for all the information all of you are giving on Priceline (and Hotwire). It really helps :)

Does anyone have experience with the name your own price option for car rentals. There, it also says that you have to be a US/Canadian resident. Since I am Dutch, that does not apply to me. Any change of car rental companies rejecting my reservation when I am standing in Los Angeles next summer?

If i'm seeing the same message you are, it more accurately reads:

Name Your Own Price® is Available for US & Canadian billing addresses only

... which may not apply to you since you can be a Dutch resident but still have a US/Canadian billing address (for your second home ;) ) or perhaps a friend (in the US/Canada) bought you the car rental as a gift for your upcoming trip.

Any risk(s) are yours to accept, but if your bid is accepted i see very little risk in having an issue at the rental counter. However, do be aware that most overseas rentals often include insurance/liability coverage, whereas in the US (and when bidding on PRICELINE) it is not included, so if you need to purchase insurance separately (usually directly at the car rental company at a fairly high price), you may be better purchasing from a local vendor that includes the insurance.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've rented cars a number of times from both Hot.wire and Price.line.  I can't speak for the issues of a non-US/Canadian resident, but the HW and PL rental process both work fine.  

Do be wary of the rental places trying to "up-sell".  When you are at the counter, they will offer a larger vehicle than you'd selected, a fancier/sportier one, extra features such as GPS, ..., etc..  Just keep saying "No thank you".  Eventually they give up and give you the vehicle for which you originally contracted.

When they offer you a choice between purchasing a tank of gas and bringing the car back empty, or bringing the car back with the gas tank full, the better option is bringing the car back with the tank full.  

Check the car out thoroughly before you drive off the lot, looking for any dings, scratches, dents, etc..  If you see any such problems, either get them to note it on your contract or give you a different car.  Taking a picture of any problem isn't a bad idea either.

Since I don't happen to own a second home in the US/Canada, the billing adress will become a bit tricky :)

I didn't suspect that you did... i was merely pointing out how if the charge goes thru you shouldn't have any issue (even if showing up with an international driver's license) as there are scenarios where somebody could have a US billing address but not be a US resident. (and a plausible answer that you could give if you were questioned on it, which i doubt you would be) However, the bigger issue i have seen with non-US bidders and car rentals is the insurance aspect, which is something you will need to take into consideration.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]