Priceline Hotel: 3* Seattle (Downtown) Renaissance

cookofthehouse
By cookofthehouse,
in

Last minute decision to see a Mariner's game, so looking for a hotel (coming from Spokane).

Thought I'd see if I could get a deal on a 4* first, then move down to 3*.

Downtown - 4* - $70

Add Lake Union - 4* - $75

Add Lynnwood - 4* - $80

Same - 4* AND 3* - $45

Add Everett - 3&4* - $50

Add N Everett - 3&4* - $55

Add Bothell - 3&4* - $60

That's it. U of WA, Renton, SeaTac, and Bellevue all have 3* and up, so I was done.

Is this too last minute to get a deal? If I try again tomorrow (can I go again that soon?) will I have a chance?

Should I go read up on the 2 1/2 stars that go for Downtown?

Thanks for any guidance. :)

Is this too last minute to get a deal?
With nine days before your trip I don't think you're "too last minute", but you're probably bidding too low.

We haven't seen 4* wins for $80 Downtown in a long time and usually it takes over $100.

Occasionally someone wins a 3* Downtown in the high $50's (I won the 3* Crowne Plaza for $58 a couple weeks ago) but usually it takes more like $60-$90.

If $80 is your limit consider bidding to $80 for a 3* Downtown, or try for a 2.5*. 2.5* in Lake Union zone is a good option too. Lake Union is only about a mile from Downtown and the two areas are connected by trolley now.

If you're driving from Spokane you'll pass through Bellevue and you're more likely to get a good deal in Bellevue than Downtown.

If I try again tomorrow (can I go again that soon?)....
You can rebid for the same parameters (4* Downtown or 3* Downtown) 24 hours from your last rejected bids. If you're trying a new parameter (like 2.5* Downtown or 4* Bellevue) you don't have to wait.

Good luck!

When you decide to lower the star level of your bids, you're almost always better off to start a new bid rather than lower the star level on your existing bid. In this case, if you had started a new bid for a 3* after your $80 bid for a 4* was rejected, you would have been able to add the Lynnwood-Edmonds and Lake Union zones to that bid, giving you at least two more bids (you can actually get 32 bids for a 3* by using your rebid zones, if you're willing to start a lot of new bids). And you could have freely used the UW, Renton-Kent, and Seatac zones for your 4* bid.

I have seen $75-$80 wins for 4* Downtown, but only in the winter. I agree with Colfax that if you're looking for a 4* hotel, you should consider bidding for one in Bellevue. Rates in Bellevue are low on weekends, parking is a lot cheaper (the Hyatt Regency, for example, has free parking on Friday and Saturday nights), and you're only about a 12-15 minute drive from Downtown Seattle. I'm sure that you can still get the Hyatt Regency for $80, and there's a good chance you could get it for a bit less.

Thanks for all the feedback. I thought about it and decided staying downtown was more important to me than saving $10-20. So I went back in today and started at $60 for 3*. I got the Marriott Renaissance for $76.

So I guess you can change the thread title. :) Thanks for the tips, and yes, I used the PRICELINE link here when I bid. :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]