Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency on the Hudson

rangermcfadden
By rangermcfadden,
in

Hi,

I'd like to stay in the New York area for two nights on June 29, 2008. I'm posting in the New Jersey forum because I'm thinking of bidding in Jersey City. I like the PATH access that Jersey City offers and am coming from EWR.

I'm looking to spend around $100 - $130. I don't want to spend much more because I'll be arriving at 10 PM on the 29th.

I looked on Hotwire and found the Hyatt Regency Jersey City for $124. (4*, amenities matched, number of tripadvisor ratings matched).

But I looked at the New York calendar-o-wins and discovered that somebody won the Hyatt for $86 on Priceline for 6/28 - 7/1. Can I get such a deal?

I'm OK with all four Priceline hotels in Jersey City.

The lowest rates on the Hotels' websites (using Betterchecker, of course) are:

3* Hyatt: $215 AAA

3* Doubletree: $254

2.5* Courtyard: $279

2* Candlewood: $181

In terms of the bid amount I understand that one usually won't do better than half of the lowest website rate. Using this theory, it would $91 for the Candlewood and $108 for the Hyatt. I know that there is only one free rebid zone (Elizabeth) which means no permutations.

My question is are:

Should I take the Hotwire deal?

If not, what should my bids be over, say, 2 days? As I mentioned, I'm willing to stay in any of them, but don't want to pay $120 for the Candlewood.

Should I bother bidding in Manhattan? I don't really wish to pay any more for this stay.

Your help is appreciated.

If you want to try to beat the HOTWIRE rate, i would begin as follows...

With your one re-bid zone:

Select 3* Jersey City...

Bid $76, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $81.

If rejected post back and we'll advise accordingly.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Topic Title: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency on the Hudson

Topic Sub-title: $86... 6/29/08 - 7/1/08

Bid $81, rejected. Offered chance to bid $22 more.

Bid $86, accepted. Used PRICELINE link in above message.

Check-In Date: Sunday, June 29, 2008

Check-Out Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Hotel Name: Hyatt Regency Jersey City On The Hudson

2 Exchange Place

Jersey City, New Jersey 07302

201-469-1234

Your Offer Price: $86.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Subtotal: $172.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $36.36

Total Charges*: $208.36

Thanks again!

Congratulations on your win!

A great rate for this property and a very nice hotel at that! All the rooms have Manhattan skyline views (ask for either uptown or downtown when you check in, depending upon your preference)

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and for using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm looking forward to the view! I was prepared to be facing a dumpster but that's a pleasant surprise.

I'm thinking of extending my stay at this hotel later, but will gain a person on July 1 (for a total of two people).

Does anybody know the chances of me getting a room with two beds at this particular hotel? Failing that, would they have cots available? I've read the FAQ and know that nothing is guaranteed but I'd like to assess my risk against the potential rewards. I see that the $212 AAA double bed rate is still available on the Hyatt website which would be a sign of availability.

I'd do things to help my chances, like associating my Hyatt Gold number with the reservation and requesting the two bedded room.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]