Priceline Hotel: Bidding Help - New York MTS

Mrcraig
By Mrcraig,
in

Looking to get 3* for August 27th for two nights. Wishful/hopeful to get the Clarion on 5th Ave as my friend already has a priceline room there (cost him $127)

I bid from $95 to $117 with no luck.

Back-up booking already done at Clarion for $144 plus tax etc.

Any suggestions appreciated.

tx

Well i would suggest bidding $127 since that was his accepted price.

Let's assume that the Clarion's lowest acceptable rate is $127 and another 3* hotel in the zone accepts at $123. You bid $127 in order to save a couple of dollars (and it always feels better to get it a little cheaper than your friend :) ).... but the net result would be you not even having a chance at the Clarion and ending up at a different hotel (although you could also bid $127 and end up at a different hotel anyway).

A little add'l insight or strategy may be able to be obtained if you knew your friend's bid history (was $127 his first bid or were prior bids rejected... if so, what was the highest price of his rejected bid).

Last question you have to ask is "If i'm going to bid $127 and risk getting a different hotel, should i just stay there at the $144 rate?" Since taxes would need to be paid on each but a fee (assuming about $6) only on the Priceline stay, the Priceline rate is more like $133 + taxes vs. directly booked rate of $144 + taxes. So the difference is about $10.... don't know how much $10 is worth to you and/or how important it is to be at the same hotel as your friend.

Those are my thoughts, but feel free to ask add'l questions that the above may have sparked.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It's possible.... it all depends upon what occupancy rates do between now and then.

What i would do is consider how much do you need to save in order to stay at a different hotel? For this example, let's say for $25 you'd be willing to stay at a different property.

I'd then take the $144 rate, subtract $6 to account for Priceline's fee, and then subtract $25 for the 'inconvenience' of not being at the same hotel as your friend. If the math in my head is correct, it comes to $113.... this would mean that your upper bidding limit on Priceline is $113.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]