Atlanta Zones and Tips

MGopher007
By MGopher007,
in

Just some pointers if you plan on visiting...

Downtown Atlanta does have some very nice hotels. Nearly all of the attractions that the city has is located within a 10 mile radius. However, the downtown area is not the greatest at night.

While proximity to the sites is important to many, I'd like to point out a few other options...

Both the Buckhead and Perimeter areas are very nice. They are some of the ritzier parts of town. You'll find much more nightlife than downtown, as well as safer neighborhoods.

Our public transportation system, MARTA, does run to both neighborhoods and is a straight shot into downtown. It's a subway type train that's very safe (and cheap, $1.75 one way). Perimeter is the farther of the two and is no more than 30 minutes into town. For a rail map, visit www.itsmarta.com. Buckhead has it's own stop and the Perimeter area is serviced by Dunwoody and Sandy Springs stations. While not all hotels you'll find on HW and PL are very close to a MARTA stop, many hotels will have a shuttle that can drop off/pick up. You can actually get by without renting a car if you wish as the train runs directly from the airport. I'd actually suggest this as Atlanta is constantly in the top 3 cities in the country when it comes to traffic.

Hope some of this helps...

~Gopher

• 3 months later...

Hi MGopher007,

thanks for the insight. What part of Atlanta would you recommend for a 24 year old male from Europe who wants night clubs and good shopping in the area?

Buckhead seems to have a pretty good reputation, is it hard to get around there without a car though?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

This is precisely the sort of help I'm looking for. My boyfriend and I have just purchased tickets to Atlanta to drive to my dad's place in South Carolina the 2nd weekend in February. However, we'd like to stay a couple of nights in Atlanta, having never been there before.

So, hotel areas to bid?? We like parks and local art, sports, and eating! A suggestion for a place to lift a pint for an hour or two would be welcome as well. Not too picky on star quality. 2 1/2 probably as low as we'll go.

We'll be renting a car, but is the traffic so bad that I should not bother getting one until we're ready to leave Atlanta? It will be pricelined as well, so probably not worth the trip back to the airport to pick it up for a couple of days' savings is my guess. Unless hotel parking fees are on the high side.

All help VERY much appreciated!!!

All help VERY much appreciated!!!

Since this is a "general help" topic, please start a NEW TOPIC with the specifics of your stay so that you can receive more personalized assistance and help in what you're looking for for this trip.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]