Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Newark (Elizabeth) Residence Inn

bitz
By bitz,
in

please see reference thread: 2.5* Newark (Secaucus-North Bergen) Hyatt Place, $69 ... 5/18/08-5/20/08

As explained in the thread above, I am trying to bid for Fri, May 16 and Sat, May 17. Looking for at least 2.5* at not more than say $85 or so. Would probably willing to go up to $100 for 3* but anything more than that and I think I'd probably have to stick with my backup booking. :)

BTW, I need a hotel that has easy access to Manhattan. I was bidding on Secaucus area because a friend recommended it, but am open to other options/area you can suggest.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Since you're willing to drive to a Park N Ride the actual location of the hotel isn't as important because you don't need to be within walking distance of a bus stop.

The Park N Ride is convenient to both the Meadowlands/Rutherfod zone and the Secaucus-North Bergen zone so i would think you'd be fine with any hotel in that area.

Are these zones acceptable to you? If so, do you want to try for a 3* up to $100 first or a 2.5* up to $85? (personally i prefer the higher rated hotels but it's your stay and budget so you'll have to decide what is most important to you)

Let us know your thoughts and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

these amenities are a match for the LaQuinta Inn and Suites in Secaucus. I have stayed here several times and I disagree with the 2.5/5 rating from Tripadvisor, I think it is much better. The Bus to NYC stops in front of the hotel. Have you considered bidding on PRICELINE?

I'm assuming that the Jersey City would be fine as well, and this is actually a great area, although likely out of your price range. However, if fortunate to be successful here there will be a parking charge, but i'm including it becase given your stay is over a weekend there is on the street parking available nearby (but if you're not comfortable leaving your car on the street and would be concerned with an additional fee fore parking then dont' bid this area and we'll revise):

At the 3* level you have one re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Jersey City...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline.

Select 3* Secaucus...

Select 3* Meadowlands...

Select 3* Jersey City and Secaucus...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline.

Select 3* Jersey City and Meadowlands...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline.

Select 3* Jersey City and Secaucus and Meadowlands...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

2.5* Newark - Meadowlands (Elizabeth) Residence Inn, $90 ... 5/16/08-5/18/08

Offer Price: $90.00

Subtotal: $180.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $37.80

Total Charges: $217.80

I actually got this by mistake :). After unsuccessfully going through the suggested 3* 'algorithm' above, I foolishly did the same thing with 2.5*, not realizing till the end (when I won) the mistake I had made. Oh well, still managed to snag some savings, and considering the good deal I got on the Hyatt, I guess that *overall*, I'm still satisfied with my purchases :)

I have one question about transportation. I thought that because of the location, it might make sense to take the ferry, see the sights, and then get off on the manhattan side (kill two birds with one stone - tourism and transportation all in one trip!). However, I'm not sure what the best way would be to get to Liberty State Park that morning. Would taxi be too expensive? Public transportation too troublesome? On the way back, I'm thinking that the easiest way might be to take the PATH to the airport and then take the hotel shuttle back. Comments, suggestions? What about driving ourselves to Liberty State Park in the morning and then taking public trans'n back to pick up my car afterwards? I already looked at the train routes/schedules and they seemed somewhat complex for this option.

Thanks so much for all the bidding help and travel advice!!

here is a link to Statue Cruises. If you drive and park at Liberty State Park, you could take the Hudson-Bergen Light rail back and hop the shuttle bus, its about a mile from the Liberty Park Station to the Museum. You would need to check the operating hours for the parking lot and the shuttle. The ferry takes you to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, from there you could hop a ferry towards Battery Park. You'll then have to take the subway to a PATH station and take PATH to Exchange place, then take the Light Rail to Liberty park, then drive back to the Residence Inn. The park suggests about 5 hours to completely tour Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, so that's a full day. On your way back, for a cheap dinner, pick up a couple of pies at Santillo's Pizzaria in Elizabeth, its take out only. Excellent thin crust :)

Thanks, dahammer. As always, excellent information :)

I think I've pretty much decided to park at the Liberty Park Station Park and Ride for the day (not at the ferry terminal parking lots as I was originally thinking). PATH and light rail service both go late, but the shuttle doesn't. So parking at the light rail station doesn't restrict us to times when the shuttle service is running.

Will definitely try to pick up a Santillo's pizza while we're there!

Thanks again for your information!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]