Priceline Hotel: 3* DC (White House Downtown) Topaz Hotel

MGopher007
By MGopher007,
in

Hello all...

New to the forum and never used HW or PL before. I've searched and read the forum and somewhat familiar with the process, but have a question. I've read that you can use HW as a general guideline for bidding on PL, so if pricing on HW is well above what I see people paying for rooms on both sites for that time of year, do I assume that my bidding will have to be that much higher?

Ex...HW has 3* and 3.5* in Crystal City and Dupont for $160+ (again, this is Sept), but I see people getting $80-100 for March and April in the same areas. I know Cherry Blossom season is expensive and hard to find, so I would think that pricing would be lower in September, but maybe that is a popular time of year as well.

I'm looking for anything in the 3-4* range close to a Metro stop (going to bite the bullet on parking) and ~$80. Based on the hotel reviews and posts of bids, Dupont and Crystal City appear to be the best bets.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

~Mark

Are Crystal City and the Dupont zones the only two you're willing to bid? Are you willing to pay more for a 4* vs. a 3* or are you looking for the least expensive 3* or better hotel for your stay?

Your maximum is $80?

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Naturally, I'd like the 4* if only for the bedding. I'm one of those that doesn't spend much time in the room, but lately i've found the value of a better nights sleep :)

I'd say that $90 is my max. If it's a 3*, would like to keep it around $75 based on what i've seen others post. Dupont is the zone I prefer for the restaurants and night life as well as the close vicinity to the sites. Crystal City only for the value of hotels and the proximity to the Metro. So to sum it up...

Dates 9/12-16 or 9/13-17

Max $90

3-4*

In order of preference...

Dupont

Foggy Bottom/G'Town

Crystal City

Max $90

3-4*

Your maximum bid at the 3* level is $75 or $90??

If $75 is your maximum for a 3*, did you want to first go up to $90 for a 4* (and then only try for a 3* if rejected)

Lastly, i assume price is more important than zone? In other words, would you prefer a more expensive hotel in the Dupon Circle zone or a lower priced property in the Crstayl City zone?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Wow there, sleep much?

My max bid for a 3* would be $75 and I'd go up to $90 for a 4*. I'm assuming that it's possible to work the system to achieve that?

I would prefer to stay in Dupont at a 4* (ideally) for a little more money. If I strike out with that, then a 4* in Foggy Bottom. If nothing there, then on to lesser hotels in Dupont and Foggy Bottom and then to Crystal City.

So then, based upon your most recent post...

You actually want to bid for a 4* first in the Dupont zone up to $90, if that is rejected then try for a 4* in Foggy Botton up to $90, (there are no 4* hotels in the Crystal City zone), then try for a 3* i the Dupont zone up to $75, then 3* in Foggy Botom, then a 3* in Crystal City.

Is that correct?

PS- no, i don't get nearly enough sleep :)

I'm guessing your budget won't be enough for a 4* hotel in the "city" zones, but you have nothing to lose by giving it a try.

At the 4* level you have two re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Dupont Circle...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline

Select 4* Dupont Circle and re-bid zone2...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline

Select 4* Foggy Bottom...

Bid $65, if rejected add Dupont Circle...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $75, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline

Select 4* Foggy Bottom and re-bid zone2...

Bid $80, if rejected add Dupont Circle...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $90

If the above is rejected we'll then research and revise to try for a 3* property.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Dates 9/13-9/17

Well, I tried as instructed above, and even added the White House and Convention Center zones to the mix. I actually started out higher, bidding no less than $90 and went up to $115.

I will try again in a week or so and so on. I'm guessing that the hotels will come down in price as the dates get a little nearer.

There,

I'm guessing that different dates can get better deals than others depending on what's going on in town? I've seen the 4* in the zones I want go for under $100, but it looks like people are getting those no more than just a few weeks out before their stay. Any rhyme or reason? Do most people get bids that match what others have gotten in the past or does it fluctuate pretty drastically from season to season?

Rates are date specific, so rates can vary drastically, especially in a city such as Washington DC where convenitons, conference, and protest groups can quickly consume most avaiable hotel rooms while other nites there is a dearth of hotel activiity (and rates are low... relatively speaking).

It's quite possible that you're looking at rates during winter months (which are typcially cheaper due to the cold and fewer tourists), and since they are in the past, were purchased within a few weeks of arrival... while your particular dates can remain high from now until your check-in date (and never drop). I'm not saying this will be the case, but just an example of how rates are affected by seasonality factors, and even more so by actual demans for the dates of your stay.

• 10 months later...

This is a late update, just wanted to include it in keeping with the spirit of the board....

3* Washington DC (White House Downtown) Topaz Hotel

$139.....9/13/08 - 9/17/08

Too long ago to remember my steps for getting it, but hope this helps someone in the future. Hotel was great in all aspects.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]