Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Newark (Secaucus-North Bergen) Hyatt Place

bitz
By bitz,
in

Offer Price: $69.00

Subtotal: $138.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $30.66

Total Charges: $168.66

I'm trying to book hotel for 4 nights: Friday, May 16 to Tuesday, May 20.

Been bidding for a few days now, chosing Secaucus and Jersey City as my bidding zones (I usually add Jersey City as a rebid because I know I won't get anything for that cheap there, so it's basically like having a free bid in Secaucus). My bids ranged between $60-$85 without luck. I suspected it was Fri/Sat nights holding me back because when I checked the rack rates for La Quinta, they seemed to be completely booked up on Sat. So tonight, I split up my bid and won the last two nights at Hyatt for $69. I tried to extend my stay but was unsuccessful. When I checked their regular booking system, it looks like they're also booked up for both nights.

I have my backup booked (Econolodge Carlstadt for $85/night, but I really really hope we don't have to stay there, though!! :)). So right now, my trip consists of 2 nights at Econolodge and 2 nights at Hyatt.

Do you have any suggestions for how I could continue bidding for the first two nights (Fri/Sat)? I supposed it could still be Sat night holding me back from winning, however, I'm really iffy about splitting up the bids again, as I think staying in 3 hotels over a 4 night trip would be a bit much. I don't want to go below a 2.5*, and not more than say $85 or so. Would probably willing to go up to $100 for 3* but anything more than that and I think I'd probably have to stick with the Econolodge :)

BTW, I need a hotel that has easy access to Manhattan. I was bidding on Secaucus area because a friend recommended it, but am open to other options/area you can suggest.

Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Thank you for sharing your winning bid with the board.

I've edited your topic title to reflect a check-in date of 5/18 as per the body of your post (originally posted at 5/17)

Please start a NEW TOPIC for the remainder of your stay.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This is a great deal for the Hyatt Place, well done.

How about the Hampton Inn, Carlstadt or the Fairfield Inn, or Holiday Inn Express. These are a step up from the Econo Lodge. The Bus to NYC goes by frequently, and they can all be booked through the Travel Links to Support BetterBidding (even the EconoLodge too)

FYI, It appears that the 3* Sheraton Meadowlands is available on HOTWIRE for $95. While this is not a convenient hotel to access NYC, I have read elsewhere that the hotel shuttle bus will take guests to the Secaucus Junction train station and will pick up as well with just a phone call.

I've never used Hotwire before so am not too familiar with it. Do the deals/hotels on there change often and sell out quick? Do you think I can risk keeping this Sheraton option as a backup till next week (or the week after) in case I don't get something better on Priceline?

Thanks

The deals offered on HOTWIRE can change pretty quickly, so since your plans are firm, you may want to check some reviews and the Sheraton website to see if the location and hotel work for you. Again, there is no 100% guarantee that this is the Sheraton, but the amenities are a match. Also, since you have a car, you can drive to the North Bergen Park and Ride, its about 5 minutes away, and for $8.50 you'll get a round trip bus fare and parking for the day. Additional roundtrip fares are $5.60, the service is frequent, and before 10:00 am, the trip into Manhattan is about 20 minutes. When in Secaucus, this is my preferred method of getting into the city, it works for me.

Thanks a lot for all the great info. Looks like that hotel isn't listed anymore, though. I really regret not having snatched it up yesterday. I'm going to start a thread on the hotwire board to try identifying the currently listed ones. Unfortunately, the value doesn't seem nearly as great as the $95 was.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]