Priceline Hotel: Holiday Period Tough To Book?

Keoni
By Keoni,
in

I have been trying to get a room in Jersey City

for the dates of 2 - 6 July with the intention of

traveling in to the city on the Path. I would love

to hook that Hyatt room everyone is raving about

but I haven't had any luck. Of course we would

like to be in one hotel for the entire period but

would also consider splitting for a couple of days

at two hotels just to get the "room with a view."

Any suggestions as I have stalled at bidding more

than $45 per night based upon other posts that

indicate $37 is the magic number?

Also, I have already booked a room at the

Jersey City DoubleTree Club Suites for November 19th -

23 paying $70.00 per night plus 47.55 in taxes and

fees for $327.55 total. This was the result of many

weeks and failed attempts gradually increasing from

$32 and finally winning at $70. Am I running into trouble

trying to get cheap rooms around the holiday weekends?

Regards, Keoni

I'll answer your July 4th question in this thread and your Thanksgiving question in the other thread.

The Hyatt is currently sold-out for the nites of the 3rd and the 4th and this severely reduces your chances of winning this hotel. As well, rates are very high on the nite of the 2nd that make me doubtful you could be successful at 'low' amounts (there's no reason for the hotel to release 'distressed' inventory). Based upon rates i'm currently seeing, I think you have a very good chance at receiving the Hyatt for just the nite of the 5th.

Do you already have a back-up booked for these dates? If so, where and how much?

What do you consider to be your next step if you're not successful with 3* for under $45

-raise offering price for a 3*

-lower quality to 2.5*

-choose a different zone

-something else?

Let us know your thoughts and we'll advise further.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the help! Convenience to the transportation into

the City is a key concern as is a place to leave my car. I would

consider lowering to a 2.5 star hotel but I haven't really seen

very many posts for Jersey City at less than 3 star so I wasn't

willing to gamble not knowing what I would get. Seems most

of the posts are for the 3* and I would be willing to go to $70

per night plus tax/fees before dropping back to 2.5 stars if you

think I would get a place convenient to the transportation.

Regards, Keoni

I know the area well, and although i would never say that anything is guaranteed, i'm fairly confident that a successful 2.5* bid would land the Courtyard (nothing else in the area that meets the 2.5* criteria... Candlewood is listed at 2* and isn't (IMO) worthy of an upgrade to a 2.5* rating).

The 2.5* Courtyard has similar rates relative to the 3* hotels in the area and that is the reason we don't see many acceptatnce at the 2.5* level... yet the hotel is nice and very convenient to transportation.

You also have the option of splitting the bid since this is a 4 nite stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Update! Following your advice I was able to score the Hyatt on the Hudson for the one night of July 5th. Started working backwords using

Jersey City and Manhatten simultaneously, and before I could lock in Jersey City I was able to get Midtown East,

International The Barclay for July 3 and 4. First bid was MTW 4 Star, $100

and rejected, added MTE, upped to $103, BINGO... a winner!!! Total

with taxes and fees for two nights is $243.66. I start all my bids at

Savings Barn and also support Entertainment books, currently have 3,

and other companies listed on the help support Betterbidding site.

Anyway, I figure you can parse this post up and move it to NYC or

whatever. I only have to figure out where I'll stay on 2 July.

Questions: Any idea how much it costs to park at Newark Airport x 24hours? Would this be a good option to drop the car, take public trans into NYC?

Thanks for helping to support BetterBidding by using all the links!! :)

Since this thread is already in NJ let's use this one to represent your Jersey City bid and please start a new thread in the NY section of the board for the NYC win (this way each hotel will represented in the title of its respective forum).

Newark Airport is about $18 to park off-site and not the best of your options. I think the DoubleTree in Jersey City charges $10/day to park in their lot (call them to make sure as this was a while ago and their lot isn't that big) or there are some Park N Ride lots in the area that you can leave your car and take a bus to the Port Authority (but if the DoubleTree is $10 i think that would be your best option).

Let me know how you make out with the DoubleTree and if it's not good i'll get the info for you for the Park N Rides in the area or look around the area for cheaper lots. You may also be able to find weekend parking somewhat inexpensively in NYC (although find our rates for your entire stay as rates may jump for the nite of July 4th. This thread: NYC PARKING lists some other options and the 3rd post down has a link which leads to an interactive site in which you can get parking rates (and purchase beforehadn if you choose to do so).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]