Priceline Hotel: 3* Portland (South-Scarborough) Wyndhamm Airport

frugalnotcheap
By frugalnotcheap,
in

Would love to stay in downtown for those nights, but things are looking expensive, based on hotwire and recent accepting bids.

I like the BOS 4* airport hotels, so I'm thinking I'll go that route.

Would like advice on price point and strategy to try for the airport 4* hotels at a max of $70/night.

BUT -- Do you think it's worth my time to try and get a 4* downtown hotel for $95 max? Or should I just shoot for the $70 max at Logan?

How are the 3* hotels in Boston? Is the price break (once again, $70 max) for a 3* in downtown or copley worth the effort (I do not want cambridge)?

Thanks for all thoughts/help.

Do you think it's worth my time to try and get a 4* downtown hotel for $95 max?
I would recommend first going for what you want. If you prefer Downtown hotels than by all means try for them... you have nothing to lose and maybe you get a win. I certainly wouldn't "hold-out" for a win there, but no harm in giving it a try, and then you can also use those zones as pseudo re-bid zones, increasing the number of bidding opportunities you have when looking for the Airport hotels. :)
How are the 3* hotels in Boston?
I haven't been to Boston in some time (although have tentative plans to likely return there soon) but i'd start with the Priceline Hotel List and read the reviews linked next to each of the 3* properties to get a feel if you would be comfortable with those or not.

Let us know what you decide with the star rating and zone selections and we'll advise further.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

(zones: Copley, Downtown and Waterfront)

There is no "downtown" zone on PRICELINE, so i'll assume you mean Copley, Quincy, and Waterfront. If so...

Prices are very high for your dates above so i'm not sure how successful you'll be, but you can give it a try as follows:

At the 4* level you have three re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Waterfront and Quincy...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and re-access thur our link to PRICELINE

Select 4* Waterfront and Copley...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and re-access thur our link to PRICELINE

Select 4* Waterfront and Quincy...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm not sure if your budget is realistic for this stay, but if you want to continue on...

You have thread re-bid zones at the 3* level.

Select 3* Waterfront and Quincy...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and re-access thur our link to PRICELINE

Select 3* Waterfront and Copley...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and re-access thur our link to PRICELINE

Select 3* Waterfront and Quincy...

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $68, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70

Any questions feel free to ask.

If the above fails, do you have any back-up reservation made? (if so where and how much)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

FYI, I don't know if there's anything else going on in Boston during these dates, but this is move-out weekend and graduation day for many of the many Boston area universities. Many hotels have been long sold out for 5/17 and those with availability seem to be charging astronomical prices.

Sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news. I do hope you're successful.

Boston is ridiculous for the weekend of May16-17. Move out weekend, graduations and 24,000 architects at a convention. I've been working on this weekend for a month or so now for a group of 8 going for a Red Sox weekend and actually Sox tickets were easier to come by than hotels. It's sold out wall to wall (unless you are willing to pay $450/room + for the limited avails on HOTWIRE). Not me.

Try the Lowell, Andover area...there are deals there if you want to be close to NH.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]