Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (NMA-River North) The Drake

El Gabito
By El Gabito,
in

Looking for something downtown somewhat near 203 North LaSalle Street. I've seen some 4* Conrad wins for low 100's - this would be great. I can go up to $125 - possibly even a bit higher, but obviously looking to go as cheap as possible for 4*.

Any tips on bidding strategy? Looks like there are plenty of zones w/ no 4* hotels to do rebids. NMA or Millenium park would probably be fine.

TIA!

The issue here is that your destination address is right in-between both of the two zones. If you bid either zone, you could possibly get a hotel on the other side of the zone.

I'd also highly recommend not getting your hopes up for the Conrad; while others have won it, there's no guarantees with Priceline. Also, don't go on what other people are paying, as prices will differ from date-to-date.

These dates are somewhat above-average price wise, so I think the floor (a reasonable starting price) would probably be $95-100 for a 4* in either downtown area, but you will very possibly need to go to your max of $125.

I see what appears to be the Westin River North on HOTWIRE, which would be very close to your destination. However, the price is $189 a night.

Looks like there are plenty of zones w/ no 4* hotels to do rebids

I'll also add that there is actually only one zone currently available in order to re-bid at the 4* level, so if you believe there are more, please confirm with the board before proceeding.

Let us know if both the NMA and Loop zones are acceptable and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Don't care about the Conrad - just quoting some recent wins. Anything 4* is fine.

Yeah both zones are fine - I will take the train but I will also have a rental car if it's not close to a station. I just don't want to drive in from the suburbs.

I'm fine with anything 4* and under $125. I can even go up to $150 if necessary, but $125 is my median goal.

Thanks for the help!

As previously noted, you have one re-bid zone when bidding 4* in Chicago. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

I suspect that it will likely take more than $125 to be succesful, but i'd star with the above.

Select 4* Loop...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* NMA...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Select 4* Loop and NMA...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125

Any questions feel free to ask.

If the above is rejected post back and we'll revise to try again i 24 hours. Also, if rejected, is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option in order to try to stay under your $125 prefered budget?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok - did exactly as you said - with exception of the last bid I did $130 instead of $125. No bites, not even an offer at a higher price.

I think I would rather go a little higher before splitting my bids. $150 is the ultimate ceiling though.

Thanks for the help! Using your links every time.

24 hours after your last rejected bid you can re-try as follows...

Select 4* Loop...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* NMA...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150

Thanks in advance for coninuing to use our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links.

Let us know how it goes.

At this point I've done everything and been flat out rejected except for (didn't try the following):

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150

I'm thinking before going that high I'd rather try splitting my bids or going down to a 3*. I'm not sure if there's a convention I don't know about during this time, but prices seem higher than recent wins for these zones in April/May.

I'm thinking going for a split bid first but am open to suggestions either way.

I'd try the following:

Select 4* Loop...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* NMA...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

Try the above for:

5/4-5/7 (i suspect will be rejected)

5/5-5/8 (i suspect will be rejected)

5/4-5/6 (i think this has a chance)

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

24 Hours after your last rejected bid, re-try:

Select 4* Loop...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Select 4* NMA...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $118.

If the above is rejected (or if we don't wish to wait another 24 hours) HOTWIRE has a 4* hotel in the Loop zone for $119/nite (there are a few other 4* hotels in the neighboring zones priced under $150 if you're interested in those as well)

Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Let us know your thoughts and/or how it goes.

The Palmer House is one of the most historic hotels in the city and really one of the most historic hotels in the US. The lobby is simply breathtaking and the beautiful mural ceiling was restored not too long ago, I believe, by the same person who restored the Sistine Chapel.

The hotel has been recently renovated, but you're still going to run into people who like this sort of a hotel or don't. It is an older hotel and therefore, rooms are smaller in size. It's a massive property and people may not like the feeling of having to wander around. The service may not be able to be "personalized" when you have that kind of a hotel.

However, as thereuare said, this is a hotel you could get on PRICELINE.

I see this so often and people really have to understand that many (not all) of the critical reviews on tripadvisor of Chicago hotels are from people who paid the fortune that most Chicago hotels cost during busy periods. When you're paying $200, $250, $300 for a 4* hotel, you not only have every right to be critical, but you probably are not going to feel like you're getting a "deal" when you're paying a ton for a 300-400 sq. ft room.

However, will it seem like a good value at $75, 100, 125? I think so.

Additionally, if you think the Palmer has mixed reviews, I suggest you look at many of the other 4*'s in the city - same thing. It's likely - at least in part - due to the major variations in prices from day-to-day and week-to-week.

The Palmer's also in a great location, near about 3 train stations.

Yeah - On second thought I am considering it. However I am looking at 5/6-8 and not sure how much luck I am going to have coming in under $150/night - HOTWIRE is quite a bit higher so I'm not sure I will have that much luck on PRICELINE.

I'm coming up on the 24hr mark from yesterday - so I'll figure it out here in a few. The 6th/7th have me worried though.

quick edit: I am only in Indianapolis - so was going to drive a rental. Thinking now maybe I should check on flying in if I can use public transit/taxi to get downtown. My budget was $200 for the rental, plus my hotel budget of <150 +tax.

Do they really give a bigger discount for flight and hotel?

I am looking at 5/6-8
Have your dates changed and you're no longer looking for 5/4-5/8?
Do they really give a bigger discount for flight and hotel?
If you're flexible in where you stay, I find you're usually much better off booking airfare on your own and then using PRICELINE or HOTWIRE for the hotel portion of the trip. (and you can also use each for the car rental too if you go that route)

Have your dates changed and you're no longer looking for 5/4-5/8?

If you're flexible in where you stay, I find you're usually much better off booking airfare on your own and then using PRICELINE or HOTWIRE for the hotel portion of the trip. (and you can also use each for the car rental too if you go that route)

No - what I was saying is that (via hotwire at least) rates are significantly cheaper ($50+ per night) for 5/4-5/6 portion vs the 5/6-5/8 portion. So yes I am staying the full 4th-8th, but worried about booking the second portion under budget.
If you're in Indy, why don't you Amtrak it here? That will take you right into downtown and actually not too far from your destination address. If you drive here, parking will be $40 a night at hotels and $25 a night at any major public lot.
I have thought about that - hadn't looked yet. I will look. Amtrak.com the best place to book that? In my past experience trains seem to be quite expensive. I will definitely check though.

Will this trip be cancelled if you can't come in under your budget for the last two nites?

If you're successful for the first 2 nites at ~$120/nite... would you increase your maximum bid for the last two nites to $180? (still keeping your average at $150/nite for the four nites)

Avg $150 is probably fine. With taking the train at this point I can probably go a bit higher, but still trying to be economical. Looks like several things have popped up on hotwire for the last two days (possibly because it is only a week away at this point?).

Any suggestions on going PRICELINE vs HOTWIRE? I've used both in the past - never been disappointed.

I'm open to any new suggestions w/ splitting the bids. Looks like the hilton house is gone from HOTWIRE.

I ask because if you SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID you may get the first two nites at a good rate but then the next two nites can be prohibitively expensive.

HOTWIRE is currently showing your complete stay at $185/nite... if you chose to split the first two nites at $120 but the last two nites at $225+. You'll almost certainly save a few dollars if you split your bid, but i still think it's likely you're going to be looking at more than $150 average for the total stay.

So not sure how you want to play it :)... would you want to lock in the first two nites which would give you a better idea of how high you can go for the last two nites before you lower your star rating or search other zones... or does the $185 for the complete stay appeal to you at all??

Of course you can try PRICELINE to do a little better than the rates above, but it's always good to look at HOTWIRE prices as a guage of your 'known worse case scenario'.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]