Hotwire Hotel: 4* San Diego (Gaslamp) Hotel Solamar

TBQ
By TBQ,
in

Yet another convention had Downtown/Gaslamp/Harbor Island rates sky-high.

Priceline bids of up to $140 failed. So I thought that I would have to use my $179 plus tax cancellable backup, in an area several miles away from the Gaslamp Quarter.

However, yesterday evening about 8:00pm, a 4* Gaslamp Quarter 4* hotel suddenly became available on Hotwire for $144. The 4* was labeled as a CUSTOMER FAVORITE and listed Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center and High-speed Internet Access as attributes.

Hoping for the Omni or the Solamar, I purchased, and got the Solamar. With tax/fee, it came out to $166.00 and change. Best rate on the hotel's site (and Kimpton Hotels site) was $269 plus tax.

It gets more interesting: Today at about noon, I looked again and the same listing was still there, but the price was now $169 plus tax/fee. And looking now (at 8:00 pm EDT) the price is up to $229 plus tax/fee. (best rate on the hotel's own site is up to $289 plus tax)

I find it very interesting that they adjust their pricing so often (maybe it is their yield management software that does it), but it shows the importance of checking the sites early and often :)

As always, I entered HOTWIRE via the BETTER BIDDING SUPPORT LINK :)

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to hear HOTWIRE came thru for you near the last minute and that you were able to save some money over your back-up (and hopefully upgrade the quality too)

It's amazing the technology that goes into yield management these days and how much of the updating can be automated. Las Vegas is probably the most advance in this regard and rates their change quicker and more frequently than most other markets i've seen.

Thanks for sharing your results and for using our HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay (and savings :) )

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]